PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing rod combo suggestions

dr.crentist
01-16-2021, 10:59 PM
I need to pick up another couple of rod/reel combos. Light touch, shorter, something for kids. Any suggestions from the Canadian Tire or Cabelas shelves? They don't need to be fancy just better than zip ties holding a cheap reel to a rod.

Thanks

spin
01-16-2021, 11:02 PM
I bought a few light action ugly stik combos at Cabela's for around $30 each. They work great for my young nieces as they can be a bit rough with the gear.

We usually target stocked trout or small pike with no issues.

Jigsalot
01-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Best rod I’ve had is the Fenwick Ultralight. Cabelas has them and if you are a percher this is one of the best rods. Can handle walleye too. I bought three

OL_JR
01-17-2021, 06:44 AM
I'd second the ugly sticks, they are a pretty good all around rod and durable. Kind of a unique action. The mediums are pretty light at the tip, as in light enough for perch yet enough backbone to handle something bigger. Medium heavy same idea. Those are just the ones I've tried.

JohnB
01-17-2021, 09:16 AM
For the price ugly stick would be the way to go.

graybeard
01-17-2021, 09:41 AM
I need to pick up another couple of rod/reel combos. Light touch, shorter, something for kids. Any suggestions from the Canadian Tire or Cabelas shelves? They don't need to be fancy just better than zip ties holding a cheap reel to a rod.

Thanks

Kijiji is full of all sorts of rods/reels. Most people are just short of giving them away.

Personally, I have used a full length rod and cut off the lower section and silicone/epoxy the top half into the fresh hole in the handle. Never failed me yet.

I know it is winter now, but moving forward, garage sales.

Brovacs
01-17-2021, 10:42 AM
Pflueger nighthawk combo is a decent starter setup.

akn
01-17-2021, 01:10 PM
If you want something cheap and durable you can find fibreglass combos for ~$25. Those fibreglass rods can take a beating. Can't say much for the reel though.

HuyFishin
01-17-2021, 08:16 PM
Princess auto sometimes has acme tackle beaver dam rods. Website shows they have stock. Rod quality is pretty good. The reels are just ok.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/26-in-soft-tip-fibreglass-ice-fishing-rod-reel-combo/product/PA0008954232

10 dollars more you can get one with an extendable titanium spring bobber for perch!

https://www.princessauto.com/en/26-in-titanium-tip-stick-ice-fishing-rod-reel-combo/product/PA0008954257

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr.crentist
01-19-2021, 05:43 PM
I picked up three rod/combo sets this afternoon to see what the kids would like, return the odd one out. Took the tags off and let them choose.

My girl compared all three carefully, weight and spin feel, chose the cheapest one (lol), the Ugly Stick 30 dollar special. Hey, good for her.

My boy has not decided yet but is leaning towards the kit I put together with the on sale Garcia Max X and cheaper HT rod but still pricier with that reel. I think he likes it only because of the colour.

Looks like the mid-priced Quantum Optix is going back. I also found it funny that the pink motif Ugly Stick is 10 bucks cheaper than the red version even though the rod part numbers and reel numbers are exactly the same.

Also, whoever suggested Fenwick rods. Nice. That will be my next ice rod.