PDA

View Full Version : First time to lake Newell

archerynut
01-17-2021, 08:03 PM
I've got my neighbour hooked on ice fishing. He caught his first fish through the ice on saturday. It was also the first fish hes caught since the age of five. Hes 41 now. So hes pretty excited to explore. For guys who have never fished this lake, where would be a good place for us to start looking for fish? Not too worried about size we just wanna catch a fish or two.

Kingfisher
01-17-2021, 09:07 PM
Head to Kinbrook Park. Go to the first big bay south of there. That is a good starting place. From there the whole lake is yours to explore.

Tight lines

old dog
01-18-2021, 09:46 AM
Just be cautious on the ice if taking a vehicle on it.

archerynut
01-18-2021, 10:32 AM
We'll probably be walking on. Dont wanna make the call to my wife that the front end of her vehicle is submerged in water 🤣😬

old dog
01-18-2021, 10:33 AM
That happened to a friend just recently on Newell

Poppa
01-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Kinbrook PP and Jackfish Bay are the two real "Community" spots to begin at. Get some mapping, and work out from there! Enjoy!

WayneChristie
01-18-2021, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Kingfisher;4312288]Head to Kinbrook Park. Go to the first big bay south of there. That is a good starting place. From there the whole lake is yours to explore.

Tight lines[/QUOTE

Do not drive south on the lake from Kinbrook

Remps17
01-18-2021, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Kingfisher;4312288]Head to Kinbrook Park. Go to the first big bay south of there. That is a good starting place. From there the whole lake is yours to explore.

Tight lines[/QUOTE

Do not drive south on the lake from Kinbrook

Mind elaborating? Will be heading out on the weekend. Thanks.

WayneChristie
01-18-2021, 06:46 PM
Havent even been on the ice yet this season, but there is usually a pressure ridge extending out from the launch, not always but it can build in a hurry with our winds. a reputable local older than dirt forum member clued me in to the fact that there are a lot of gas pockets west of the islands off Jackfish again not always but they can occur and Ive heard a train going down the lake when gas builds up and its trying to relieve pressure. (lake farts)? Not a lot of ice yet so its not worth taking a chance . lots of accesses to the other areas of the lake its just not worth someones life if you do hit a bad spot. I also saw a truck that had gone through the ice window deep at another spot on the lake when the rest of the ice was almost augermotor deep :scared0018:

old dog
01-18-2021, 07:24 PM
X2

Remps17
01-18-2021, 07:46 PM
Havent even been on the ice yet this season, but there is usually a pressure ridge extending out from the launch, not always but it can build in a hurry with our winds. a reputable local older than dirt forum member clued me in to the fact that there are a lot of gas pockets west of the islands off Jackfish again not always but they can occur and Ive heard a train going down the lake when gas builds up and its trying to relieve pressure. (lake farts)? Not a lot of ice yet so its not worth taking a chance . lots of accesses to the other areas of the lake its just not worth someones life if you do hit a bad spot. I also saw a truck that had gone through the ice window deep at another spot on the lake when the rest of the ice was almost augermotor deep :scared0018:

Thanks Wayne