PDA

View Full Version : If you think the bait is too big then its probably perfect for pike fishing.

HuyFishin
01-19-2021, 11:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNTFKgEmDrQ

Went pike fishing only an hour from edmonton using the predator quick strike rig. pike fishing has got to be one of my favorite freshwater fish to target. (besides lake trout). Pound for pound they fight well.

Enjoy!

Talking moose
01-19-2021, 11:28 AM
Good vid as usual!

Talking moose
01-19-2021, 11:30 AM
You rig up your herring a bit different with the front hooks facing up instead of facing back. Seems to work fine though.

HuyFishin
01-19-2021, 11:46 AM
You rig up your herring a bit different with the front hooks facing up instead of facing back. Seems to work fine though.

this is the method I have always been using. Fishin hole employee's showed me how to rig it this when I first learned how to use the quick strike rig.

aulrich
01-19-2021, 01:36 PM
in summer I generally throw 6" baits and larger for pike.

58thecat
01-19-2021, 01:56 PM

pike will hit from the side then go for a swim and then reposition the fish head first to eat...lakers like to poke at it until it is positioned to eat head first for the most part...unless on the chase then it is a free for all....when targeting both I still face hooks rewards but hey too each their own....seen a 43" pike caught on little jig head and a real sparkly 2" tail...:)

sns2
01-19-2021, 03:00 PM
Way to go, Huy! I loved the video. I love all the videos you make. Your passion and excitement for the outdoors brings a smile to this old bugger's face every single time, and is exactly what this forum exists for. Thanks man!

Smoky buck
01-19-2021, 03:44 PM
Not bad one things for sure you always seem to enjoy your self even with those little perch

jafo
01-19-2021, 04:33 PM
Congrats on a good day of fishing. The video was really enjoyable.

calgarygringo
01-19-2021, 04:41 PM
Pretty simple way to figure it out. They do as mentioned grab from the side then inhale it straight in. Put your hooks in both ways in the bait then put your hand with a glove in the shape like a fish mouth over the bait/hooks. Pull lightly on the line so you don't injure yourself and see which way tends to dig in and hook you better. Same thing applies to a pike. An old native guy told me that once when I was a kid and tried it and never forgot.

HuyFishin
01-19-2021, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone! Glad you all enjoyed it! I appreciate all the kindness and support.

Ribolovac
01-19-2021, 06:01 PM
Good job! I have never seen a herring rigged in that manner. Seems to work though. Do others rig this way? Would it work on jaw Jacker if you were letting the jj set the hook?

Topshot
01-19-2021, 09:24 PM
How many doubles have you caught?

HuyFishin
01-19-2021, 10:34 PM
Good job! I have never seen a herring rigged in that manner. Seems to work though. Do others rig this way? Would it work on jaw Jacker if you were letting the jj set the hook?

I would say this style of bait is better used on a traditional style tip up or an Ifishpro. technically you can still use it on a jawjacker but I'm sure you may miss some strikes.

I was just using my jaw jacker as a rod holder. I just watched the tip the entire time. If I saw it move then I would open the bail and let him run for 5 seconds before I set the hook.

HuyFishin
01-19-2021, 10:34 PM
How many doubles have you caught?

how many doubles? I'm sorry I don't understand the question.

muzzy
01-20-2021, 06:36 PM
I'm using 6 inch smelt for walleye with no issues. When you watch them on underwater camera come up and totally inhale the smelt you get impressed in a hurry

338Bluff
01-20-2021, 07:04 PM
how many doubles? I'm sorry I don't understand the question.

He caught a couple hammer handles on a pickerel rig and figures it's some sort of a grand feat.

Nice video. Keep up the good work.

I dont know if I would call that bait real big lol. Ever tried a whole mackerel or sucker?

HuyFishin
01-20-2021, 07:17 PM
He caught a couple hammer handles on a pickerel rig and figures it's some sort of a grand feat.

Nice video. Keep up the good work.

I dont know if I would call that bait real big lol. Ever tried a whole mackerel or sucker?

8 inch was big in my mind haha I might try a whole mackerel! I wasn't sure if it was a good bait choice. As for suckers If I could find some I definitely use whole suckers on lakers and pike forsure!!

I may actually see if I can go catch some this year. Thank you for watching!

338Bluff
01-21-2021, 05:37 PM
8 inch was big in my mind haha I might try a whole mackerel! I wasn't sure if it was a good bait choice. As for suckers If I could find some I definitely use whole suckers on lakers and pike forsure!!

I may actually see if I can go catch some this year. Thank you for watching!

Driedmeat and Coal should have decent sucker populations (though Driedmeat did have a partial kill)

I've never deliberately targeted them through the ice but how hard could it be with a jawjacker and a chunk of worm?

HuyFishin
01-21-2021, 05:44 PM
Driedmeat and Coal should have decent sucker populations (though Driedmeat did have a partial kill)

I've never deliberately targeted them through the ice but how hard could it be with a jawjacker and a chunk of worm?

Coal lake just south of leduc? I actually may try this. I wonder where they would hang around.

Talking moose
01-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Coal lake just south of leduc? I actually may try this. I wonder where they would hang around.

Here’s a good vid. He may even tell you where if you asked. And the right size. The ones in the bigger lakes are probably too big.
https://youtu.be/ZRgNMqOQKLc

HuyFishin
01-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Here’s a good vid. He may even tell you where if you asked. And the right size. The ones in the bigger lakes are probably too big.
https://youtu.be/ZRgNMqOQKLc

ahhh He is all the way in medicine hat.

I wonder if trout ponds like hermitage park pond/morinville pond or cardiff has suckers.

The only suckers i've ever caught is at carson lake or NSR when targeting a sturgeon

Talking moose
01-21-2021, 06:20 PM
ahhh He is all the way in medicine hat.

I wonder if trout ponds like hermitage park pond/morinville pond or cardiff has suckers.

The only suckers i've ever caught is at carson lake or NSR when targeting a sturgeon

Ya, I think the key is to finding trout ponds or small pothole lakes. I catch a ton of suckers in the nsr and the ones I see in bigger lakes are usually pretty big. Couple pounds or more. The ones 8” -13” are about perfect.
To a certain degree, fish size relates to their environment.

338Bluff
01-21-2021, 08:11 PM
Ya, I think the key is to finding trout ponds or small pothole lakes. I catch a ton of suckers in the nsr and the ones I see in bigger lakes are usually pretty big. Couple pounds or more. The ones 8” -13” are about perfect.
To a certain degree, fish size relates to their environment.

When Driedmeat killed 10-12 inches was a pretty common size. With a couple of really big ones. Most of the local trout ponds don't seem to have suckers unless they are periodically flooded by a river. I heard the pond at Dickson was polluted with them. Open Creek dam used to have lots as well.

Only place I've caught suckers through the ice was Battle and they were huge.

338Bluff
01-21-2021, 08:19 PM

I googled this up.
http://icefishingreviews.com/ice-fishing-methods/how-to-catch-suckers-through-the-ice/

I plan to give it a shot. Probably try some deeper water first. In March I might try closer to the mouth of Pipestone Creek.

CBintheNorth
01-21-2021, 10:55 PM
Great video.
Out of everyone that posts videos on the fishing forum, I find yours to be one of the most entertaining.

Great enthusiasm, good quality video, and awesome descriptions.
I also like your choice in background music and how you use it sparingly.
Keep up the great work!

HuyFishin
01-22-2021, 09:17 AM
I googled this up.
http://icefishingreviews.com/ice-fishing-methods/how-to-catch-suckers-through-the-ice/

I plan to give it a shot. Probably try some deeper water first. In March I might try closer to the mouth of Pipestone Creek.

I just read that write up now i'm super stoked to go sucker fishing as odd as it sounds. Hopefully i'll have a ton of bait for laker fishing next month. If I do find them i'll let you know!

Great video.
Out of everyone that posts videos on the fishing forum, I find yours to be one of the most entertaining.

Great enthusiasm, good quality video, and awesome descriptions.
I also like your choice in background music and how you use it sparingly.
Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the kind words! Don't make me blush LOL

Thank you for your support

Stinky Buffalo
01-22-2021, 10:24 AM
Always enjoy your videos! Love the positive attitude. You definitely show how much enjoyment fishing is.

WayneChristie
01-22-2021, 10:44 AM
great video! Just for poops and giggles next time you have hotdogs on the ice, , put a whole one on a rig and drop it down the hole. you may be surprised! Id hold the mayo tho :scared0018:

MoFugger21
01-22-2021, 03:56 PM
great video! Just for poops and giggles next time you have hotdogs on the ice, , put a whole one on a rig and drop it down the hole. you may be surprised! Id hold the mayo tho :scared0018:

My niece tried this a couple weekends ago... Sadly, to no avail.

WayneChristie
01-23-2021, 11:13 AM
My niece tried this a couple weekends ago... Sadly, to no avail.

I caught dozens of pike in Medicine Lake from shore with a hook under a bobber with a sliver of weiner for bait . I will take some next week and see if I can video one taking a wiener. Also the day I will avoid peeing down the holes I've seen how high a pike can jump!:scared0018:

Crankbait
01-23-2021, 11:30 AM
Banana peel does work, even better when you slice the top end off and squeeze the banana insides out like toothpaste. Left bait at home and only had my lunch.

WayneChristie
01-23-2021, 11:50 AM
You gotta do what you gotta do . Caught some impressive sized trout on little pieces of orange peel long ago too. Got my first pike that was 8 pounds when I put my hook with a piece of bread on it in shallow water so I could squeeze it on the hook and toss it out for carp. Came out of the water to grab it and I was thankful I had spare shorts. Use what you have, as long as it's legal, pike see the same old same old day in and day out if you cant feed them pizz them off

35 whelen
01-23-2021, 12:22 PM
We've caught just as many big lake trout on a one ounce jig with the little piece of belly on it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

58thecat
01-23-2021, 12:40 PM
Banana peel does work, even better when you slice the top end off and squeeze the banana insides out like toothpaste. Left bait at home and only had my lunch.

Bananas and boat, fishing etc is a no..no...

HuyFishin
01-23-2021, 01:08 PM

But on the ice its ok??

Coiloil37
01-23-2021, 01:54 PM

I took a guy once and we trolled all day without a strike. About 16:00 he pulled a banana out of his backpack and I knew what the problem was. Now, I would seriously consider throwing someone off my boat if they brought a banana.

58thecat
01-23-2021, 02:46 PM
But on the ice its ok??

noooo...wife tried packing one in the lunch bucket the other day....I tossed it out....

58thecat
01-23-2021, 02:49 PM
I took a guy once and we trolled all day without a strike. About 16:00 he pulled a banana out of his backpack and I knew what the problem was. Now, I would seriously consider throwing someone off my boat if they brought a banana.

I use to toss them in my buddies boat...man he would loose it....came by me once at mach1 and hucked the banana at me....exploded on the side of the boat....crazy bugger.

HuyFishin
01-23-2021, 02:50 PM
i'm going to mythbust the banana on a boat for everyone on video. :sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat
01-23-2021, 02:52 PM
i'm going to mythbust the banana on a boat for everyone on video. :sHa_shakeshout:

make sure there is two out fishing using the same set up etc...bet banana angler gets nothing but tangled lines etc....:)

Smoky buck
01-23-2021, 03:19 PM
Bad fisherman use excuses like bananas :sHa_sarcasticlol:

OL_JR
01-23-2021, 09:11 PM

Been done but nothing wrong with some reinforcement :)
https://youtu.be/EKU0ex2yN7s.

Coiloil37
01-23-2021, 10:47 PM
Been done but nothing wrong with some reinforcement :)
https://youtu.be/EKU0ex2yN7s.

Imagine how many of those little baitfish they could of caught if they didn’t have a boat full of bananas. Rookies.

fish99
01-24-2021, 11:12 AM
we were out on the Frazer river with guide trying to catch some pinks for bait and the guide said he's not sure why we are not catching anything as he throws his banana peel in the river ,
never booked with him again

Smoky buck
01-24-2021, 11:16 AM
we were out on the Frazer river with guide trying to catch some pinks for bait and the guide said he's not sure why we are not catching anything as he throws his banana peel in the river ,
never booked with him again

If you can’t catch pink salmon in the Fraser river you have bigger problems then a banana :sHa_sarcasticlol:

That was the species I used to introduce young kids to salmon fishing

fish99
01-24-2021, 11:32 AM
If you can’t catch pink salmon in the Fraser river you have bigger problems then a banana :sHa_sarcasticlol:

That was the species I used to introduce young kids to salmon fishing

we did after changing hooks our selves and told the guide we would like to do it our selves .even when we were sturgeon fishing we baited the hooks.

Smoky buck
01-24-2021, 11:57 AM
we did after changing hooks our selves and told the guide we would like to do it our selves .even when we were sturgeon fishing we baited the hooks.

And more likely reason was you were between schools of pinks not the banana. If there was a commercial opening or FN opening it can cause lags in between schools. There is one thing that actually makes a difference with fish like sturgeon is if someone has a high acid content but I doubt your guide would last if he had this issue without using gloves to bait the hook

But hey whatever brings confidence on the water giver. I just get humor out of some fishing theories and superstitions

OL_JR
01-25-2021, 07:31 AM
Imagine how many of those little baitfish they could of caught if they didn’t have a boat full of bananas. Rookies.

You bet, they could have been straight up hammering the marlin if it weren't for those pesky bananas.

But hey whatever brings confidence on the water giver. I just get humor out of some fishing theories and superstitions

x2

Topshot
01-25-2021, 10:30 PM
Hi, I was trying to get a look at the rig. Is that the the lucky strike with green flashers and 2 hooks. I like rigs. Do you bait them and with what and what fish. As for doubles I have a few and not a feat but some skill.

HuyFishin
01-25-2021, 10:34 PM
Hi, I was trying to get a look at the rig. Is that the the lucky strike with green flashers and 2 hooks. I like rigs. Do you bait them and with what and what fish. As for doubles I have a few and not a feat but some skill.

Hey Topshot
This is the predator rig from northlands tackle in the link below.
The bait used is also 8 inch Herring from the same place.

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=%2FNORTHLAND%2FPredator-Rig%2F&se=27203

Topshot
01-25-2021, 10:42 PM
Hi, do you jig it. Looks cool. But me lazy fisherman. I go out with a group of old friends and the only thing hold in my hands is a cold one.

HuyFishin
01-25-2021, 10:44 PM
Hi, do you jig it. Looks cool. But me lazy fisherman. I go out with a group of old friends and the only thing hold in my hands is a cold one.

No you don't jig it. You just sit and wait.

WayneChristie
01-27-2021, 10:32 AM
I did drown a few weiners yesterday and actually do ok with the pike I will have to post a report when I'm not fishing even lost a gooder on one:sHa_shakeshout: