PDA

View Full Version : 4HP Evinrude - I need help

jeff101
08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Hello,
I don't know alot about boating, as this will be the first since I was in my teens, and back then Grandpa used to run the controls. SO, I come accross this sweet deal for a 12' aluminum Sears boat, complete with trailer and 4HP Evinrude, oars, etc etc for $750.00. A lady whose husband passed sold it to me as she is moving into a home...this thing is in very nice shape and was well looked after, but wasn't used for the last couple years....just sat in their garage. ANYWAY, long story short, I have some questions about this thing.....

1) Motor Serial Number is starts with 4636M. I did a little looking online and what I come up with is that this is a 1976 model. Anyone able to confirm this or correct me?

2) Oil to Gas mixture???? I've been told everything from 25:1 to 50:1. Can someone help me please?

3) What is the best suited motor for this boat? The boats nameplate says Maximum suggested is 12.5 HP. Would a 9.9HP be ideal for this boat? It is NOT a flatbottom and has a nice depth V-hull to it. Just thinking if conditions got bad, it might be better to be able to get off the water a little quicker.

4) The lady said she was sure it went in reverse but I do not see anything identifying reverse on the motor. Is this forward/reverse accomplished by moving the handle up and down or is there just no reverse on this sucker?

5) Any thing else I should be thinking of ? Very open to opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
JEFF101

hockey1099
08-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I personally would get a 9.9 on there but my buddy has a 12' with a 6hp and it can get around the lake at a fair enough clip

sourdough doug
08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Unless the motor was really bashed around, I'm surprised there is not a decal stating fuel/oil mixture . Does it have the fuel tank built in or is it a remote tank and hose? if its tank is built in, it is possible that reverse is done by turning the whole motor, way bak when that's what they did. Other than that there was a lever on the left side of the motor that selected F/R. I think about that time mixture could have been 40:1. If I can find an old manual on a 9.9, I had of about the same year, I'll get back to you. If you did put a 9.9, on that vessel, it will scoot right along, very nicely and if you see the cloud beginning to roll, it can get you to shore in quick order . Before you flash it up, it would be a good idea to remove the plug and spray some WD.40 or equivalent in to the cylinder and loosen things up. Spraying some thru the carb would be good too.The engine will run on that if you test run it in a barrel. Enjoy your toy...

Rick.
08-18-2009, 01:07 AM
The correct fuel/oil mix for your engine is 50/1 tcw3, 2 stroke oil. It has no reverse and is always in gear. To back up you turn the engine 180 degrees. A new impeller is a must for an engine that has sat for very long. They are very available as is almost any part you find you need for it. I would also change the gear case oil right away and I would do a carb. kit on it as well. If it has original coils they should be replaced as they just didn't stand up and crack all to pieces. They are under the flywheel with condensers and points. I should also say before I spent much on it I would do a compression check just to make certain it is worthy. If the compression checks out you've got yourself a great little motor there. They are one of Evinrudes best and you can troll all day with very little gas used. Your top speed will only be in the range of 6 to 8 MPH depending on how much weight your carrying and how it is distributed. I would also invite you to go to iboats.com and get on the johnson/evinrude forum if you have any questions. Your questions will be answered by a group of very skilled and knowledgeable motor enthusiasts. Feel free to contact me as well if I can be of any assistance. I have a 71 - 4hp Evinrude.

seahawkfisher
08-18-2009, 06:44 AM
this will be your new best friend if you are new to boating and maintaining your motor
http://forums.iboats.com/
cheers

jeff101
08-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks so much for your help and advice.......:wave::wave:

Faststeel
08-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I have 4 small motors and I know nothing about them, a 15hp Evenrude, 7.5 Merc, 6hp Evenrude, a 3.5 Sears. I did take them all to my outboard dealer in The Pas and asked that they all be serviced even though they all ran well when I took them in. The wasn't a bill over $100.00 on any of them and it give me piece of mind that for the next while they will start easily and run well. I like piece of mind when running my boats. FS

Rick.
08-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Our local shop in Calgary won't work on anything older than 1985 and have a minimum charge of one hour @$125.00/hr. I say get a repair manual or get a new motor. They are happy to sell you parts though and they have most in stock. Rick.

jeff101
08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks everyone for your posts....think I'm going to just take it in and get it looked over. APpreciate all the info and thoughts of all.

:wave:

mooseknuckle
08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
yes 1976, yes 50:1, yes you should upgrade to a 9.9.
I remeber getting my first boat much like yours awesome dude you'll love it. Have fun out there and just remember to always keep an eye on the weather especially if you plan on running that little 4hp:wave: