PDA

View Full Version : Baitcaster in the drink

Binati
01-24-2021, 07:50 AM
Dropped the baitcaster in the water and have had issues since. The reel will go backwards and forwards after it's locked into reel in mode i guess dont know proper terminology trying to get the point across. Reels both ways. After a while it fixes itself but next day I try and same issue. I can only guess there's water in there. Just want to see if anyone else had the problem guess ill take it home next time to be warm and dry but I dont want to take it apart if I dont have to. Anyone else had this or know what I should search. Tried searching but im not using the right words obviously.

58thecat
01-24-2021, 07:53 AM
Take it apart, blow out areas,sit on heater vent, lube up and reassemble....if ya can't open it up to get at parts then put it on a heater vent for a few days....seen the ol'people just put things in a bucket of 10w30 for a soak too....

Dewey Cox
01-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Take it apart, or let it rust.

CNP
01-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Baitcasters tend to fail when using them outdoors in winter. Water will collect in the gearbox/spool and ice will form before it can drain. I will use them but only in a heated tent.

Binati
01-24-2021, 09:22 AM
Was hoping to avoid that but knew it in my heart. I'm in my heated shack after ice is thick enough. So any dab of oil will work for luring again?

SamSteele
01-24-2021, 09:57 AM
What reel make and model?

fish99
01-24-2021, 10:52 AM
I had a quantum reel do the same thing , do not remember it getting wet though .ended up replacing it.

Binati
01-24-2021, 11:48 AM
Pro qualifier bass pro

SamSteele
01-24-2021, 12:40 PM
Pro qualifier bass pro

Looks like there are a few reviews where this same thing (anti-reverse failure) has happened to users of the same reel. It could be that the dunking was coincidental (guessing it fell and maybe hit something before going in the hole?). I would dry it out and if it still won’t work see if Cabelas/Bass Pro will exchange it depending on how long you have had it. If the same reel isn’t available anymore I would see if you could trade for a more well known brand. Some of the BPS/Cabelas branded stuff is great but other stuff isn’t so it can be tough to know what you are getting.

ETA: If you really love the reel and drying it out doesn’t fix it and BPS won’t exchange, you can always see if a place like The Reel Doctor in Edmonton would be able to fix it. I’d ask about cost up front because it may be about a wash to just replace it outright.

Binati
01-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Thanks

Binati
01-24-2021, 12:57 PM
Honestly didn't think about defects. Only focused on the dunking