PDA

View Full Version : Freestanding hunting stands

Centi
01-24-2021, 12:46 PM
Been looking at a tripod stand of some sort for the upcoming seasons.
The lack of stand usable trees around has my options limited.

What have you guys used for tripod or platform stands?
I've never got to toy around with one, nor have I ever seen a store with one on display.

Any to stay away from?

BigJon
01-24-2021, 02:31 PM
I use the “Big Game” brand tripods that Cabela’s sells. They are Chinese made garbage but about the only game in town in Canada unless you make your own, which I have also done and ended up with a better product but spent close to the same amount of money getting there.... more if you consider hours spent...

Moo Snukkle
01-24-2021, 03:02 PM
Not trying to talk you out of a tripod stand, but for the cost, you could also look for some used scaffolding. 4 of the 5’ frames, braces and levelling screwjacks is what I’d be after. The decks are the pricey part but with 4x4’s and some plywood, you’d have a spacious 5x10 platform 11’ off the ground. Takes some elbow grease to get into the bush, but others would likely use it than steal it. Something to think about.

Red Bullets
01-24-2021, 03:43 PM
When I was guiding we used tripod tower stands and they were really nice. Very comfy and roomy. The one's we used were 14 ft high and had a 5 ft diameter platform. Also had a seat that swiveled 360 and a camo cover with a fold up roof if you needed it. The worst part was the wind could come up from below so if you consider getting one buy a piece of carpet to cover the platform with. Can't remember the name of the stand though.

Centi
01-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Good to hear on some of these stands.
It's hard to judge quality without being able to examine one set up in store.

The scaffolding would be a nice sized set up.
I plan on a bit more of a season length permanent set up, but something I can move without huge effort if my location isn't showing activity.