PDA

View Full Version : Ice Shelter Heater

musak4ears
01-25-2021, 03:02 PM
I have a Eskimo 6120i and heat it with a single sunflower on top of a propane tank. When it gets colder (less than -15) the sunflower doesn't keep up very well. Does anyone here use a fan in their tents to push that warm air down??

Ennyindabenny
01-25-2021, 03:17 PM
Yes. The fan helps move the warm air around. But even without it the tank top should be keeping your tent warm. I was out in -25 with a bigger tent and we weren’t having any problems even without the fan.

HuyFishin
01-25-2021, 03:19 PM
I have a Eskimo 6120i and heat it with a single sunflower on top of a propane tank. When it gets colder (less than -15) the sunflower doesn't keep up very well. Does anyone here use a fan in their tents to push that warm air down??

that single sunflower tank top heater at max should be at 15,000 BTU and scorching. Surprised its not heating your tent at only -15

Poppa
01-25-2021, 03:23 PM
we've got an Eskimo double-bubble (non-insulated) and use the double-sunflower, which gets our tent ROASTING even in the real cold. I have also been thinking of the fan...heard it makes a difference. There's a neat product on Amazon, I saw, that's both a fan and an LED light...the whole thing hangs from the top of your tent. Seemed very handy!

https://www.amazon.ca/Odoland-Portable-Hurricane-Emergency-Survival/dp/B087R7G2Q8/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=vWE0k&pf_rd_p=d7763d15-27eb-4662-adbf-a42034d2cd8f&pf_rd_r=4F0VDHXX51RMF11MKDPT&pd_rd_r=0231a9f3-f369-4ebc-86d8-0a7616c6b7a9&pd_rd_wg=UivSu&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Ennyindabenny
01-25-2021, 03:32 PM
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87350/basecamp-tent-fan-with-led-light
This is the one I have and it really does help even out the heat. My tent is non insulated as well.

Dewey Cox
01-25-2021, 04:06 PM
If I fish all morning with one of those sunflowers in the tent, I feel like I have a hangover for the rest of the day.
I switched to a buddy heater, which if you give it the chance, will do the same thing.
But at least it has a low O2 sensor to shut it down, and keep you reminded.

pikeman06
01-25-2021, 04:21 PM
If I fish all morning with one of those sunflowers in the tent, I feel like I have a hangover for the rest of the day.
I switched to a buddy heater, which if you give it the chance, will do the same thing.

Good call Dewey...with all these new ice anglers out there and our first real winter weather...WATCH YOUR VENTILATION! You'll fall asleep and not wake up. I find the same when using those sunflowers in a confined space. Almost thinkin of running a genny and a infrared instead but I run and gun way too much, the sunflower is perfect for that, and I seem to wreck any hose eventually when its real cold, love the big buddy but the hose is the downfall to me.

Surfnturf
01-25-2021, 04:54 PM

My buddy has the Remington sunflower one and I know what you are saying, it's pretty bad. Any propane heater will create that problem. I have a smaller sunflower isobutane heater (35 cad shipped from Amazon) and it burns much cleaner. I spent 6 hours with it in front of me and it's a huge difference compared to propane. The trade off is butane is not the greatest for pressure in cold but it's usually fine after I give it a few shakes. Also, one isobutane can is 12 bucks and it lasts me about 2 mornings ( I still dress bulky as if I was fishing outside ) but it makes it more comfortable in -10C and colder temperature. I use it in a small uninsulated Cabela's tent when temperatures dip below -10C. Warmer than that, I don't bother with setting up the tent.

This is the one I have...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RGZMC5G/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_uHT4FbDH9H5YC

HuyFishin
01-25-2021, 05:20 PM
This is the only downfall of the tank top heater. It gets hot but also lacks safety features.

I got carbon carbon monoxide poisoning once when I was a kid. Your head feels heavy like a headache and dizzy. My sister ended up fainting in our kitchen at home. Whole Family went to the hospital in whitecourt. We all had oxygen masks to breath in for a bit till we all felt better. The lack of oxygen was caused by our wood burning fireplace.

Once in a while I open my tent window to take a couple deep breaths.

Surfnturf
01-25-2021, 06:33 PM
This is the only downfall of the tank top heater. It gets hot but also lacks safety features.

I got carbon carbon monoxide poisoning once when I was a kid. Your head feels heavy like a headache and dizzy. My sister ended up fainting in our kitchen at home. Whole Family went to the hospital in whitecourt. We all had oxygen masks to breath in for a bit till we all felt better. The lack of oxygen was caused by our wood burning fireplace.

Once in a while I open my tent window to take a couple deep breaths.

I'm glad to hear you guys were ok, carbon monoxide is no joke.
There is something I used to do when I used to freedive, which is called purging. When diving in one breath, you have to get rid of your CO2 build up by purging your lungs. That is fast inhale for 1 second, strong exhale for 4 seconds. Do this when you pop your head out of your tent for air and it will help. Just don't over do it, you can get light headed and even pass out lol.

Topshot
01-25-2021, 10:05 PM
I have Hunting Buddy Portable Heater. It has the safety shutoff. You need to buy 20lb adapter. I think mine is a 8'. It works great in a 6' x 12' tent. I have it for 4 years.

Topshot
01-25-2021, 10:10 PM
Ok, have mine on a foot stool with a baking pan screwed to top to keep off ice

HuyFishin
01-25-2021, 10:36 PM
I'm glad to hear you guys were ok, carbon monoxide is no joke.
There is something I used to do when I used to freedive, which is called purging. When diving in one breath, you have to get rid of your CO2 build up by purging your lungs. That is fast inhale for 1 second, strong exhale for 4 seconds. Do this when you pop your head out of your tent for air and it will help. Just don't over do it, you can get light headed and even pass out lol.

I'll give this a try once in a while. Thank you for the tip!

Nelly
01-26-2021, 06:53 AM
Carbon Monoxide is no joke. I fell asleep in the warm glow of the sunflower dreaming of 5lb whites and dancing girls. The only thing that woke me up was a tip-up with a bell on it just outside of the hut. I was alone in a storm with no one around, after I stumbled out of the hut and got my bearings, I started to load my gear. It felt like I was drunk and everything was hazy, I couldn't start and finish one thing. It took me double the time to load up and leave for home. I got home and the wife said I looked blue and pale! Lesson learned, ventilation is a must!

58thecat
01-26-2021, 07:29 AM
I run two little buddy heaters...great versatile units plus can be used in your vehicles etc as emergency heating if needed...

Surfnturf
01-28-2021, 10:13 AM
that single sunflower tank top heater at max should be at 15,000 BTU and scorching. Surprised its not heating your tent at only -15

I used to shovel my tent spot but now I find leaving the snow on insulates better and blocks the cold from the ice. As long as you don't bake in there, snow will not melt and puddle.

nimrod
01-28-2021, 04:39 PM
Another way to warm up the body, is add those 24 x 24 foam pieces to the floor of the tent, if your feet are insulated from the ice, if your feet are warmer then your upper body should be warmer also

calgarygringo
01-28-2021, 05:02 PM
Get the softer never get stuff hose. I have had one for years and is way better to work with. You will need to go to a propane shop or supplier to get one.

Good call Dewey...with all these new ice anglers out there and our first real winter weather...WATCH YOUR VENTILATION! You'll fall asleep and not wake up. I find the same when using those sunflowers in a confined space. Almost thinkin of running a genny and a infrared instead but I run and gun way too much, the sunflower is perfect for that, and I seem to wreck any hose eventually when its real cold, love the big buddy but the hose is the downfall to me.

Surfnturf
01-28-2021, 05:34 PM
Another way to warm up the body, is add those 24 x 24 foam pieces to the floor of the tent, if your feet are insulated from the ice, if your feet are warmer then your upper body should be warmer also

Or at least do not shovel the snow under your tent. It makes a huge difference.

RACKER
01-28-2021, 07:44 PM
I run a big buddy heater in a 6 man non insulated eskimo and it keeps it nice.The heater has a built in fan and i also run a fan light combo that hangs in the tent.The only problem i get is frost buildup inside the tent and once it melts it starts dripping on you.With the bigger heater use a 5-20lb propane tank and get the inline filter for it as well.One of these days i will upgrade to an insulated model.

Davef
01-29-2021, 05:32 AM
I use a 20lb propane tank converted into a wood burner and run the vent out one of the windows in my tent. Smells great inside and no risk of low CO2. The only pain is gathering firewood and cutting it into 14" lengths. Super good heat and a guy can warm up a sandwich or soup on it while you fish. Much safer than propane. I found a guy on Kijiji that made them for $80. Just had to buy some 4" ducting hardware to vent.