PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Lake North Of ST Paul

Sir. Kenneth
08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
As it turns out saddle lake is rather tough to try and get in to fish. does Anybody have any info on Vincent Lake? Decent boat access? I just have a 12' aluminum so i can really carry it myself and don't need a boat launch but is there a place to launch from shore somehow?

sourdough doug
08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
You seem to at one time have been familiar with these lakes. If you were to see Vincent now , it would be a real disappointment. This lake has prob lost 10' of water since I last fished it. Only sev years ago it was listed as collapsed , with a 0 walleye limit. Because I no longer have reason to fish it, I don't know what the regs say on limits. There used to be sev. boat launch loc. but with the low water, they may not be quite as easy, although, those who are around there, I'm sure have made do with what they have. Watch for rocks, etc.
I would like to hear back on what it is like there, as it was a lake that I spent many enjoyable summers at , when younger..

Sir. Kenneth
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
You seem to at one time have been familiar with these lakes. If you were to see Vincent now , it would be a real disappointment. This lake has prob lost 10' of water since I last fished it. Only sev years ago it was listed as collapsed , with a 0 walleye limit. Because I no longer have reason to fish it, I don't know what the regs say on limits. There used to be sev. boat launch loc. but with the low water, they may not be quite as easy, although, those who are around there, I'm sure have made do with what they have. Watch for rocks, etc.
I would like to hear back on what it is like there, as it was a lake that I spent many enjoyable summers at , when younger..

Well doug that sure sounds dissapointing! No im not familar with the area but im staying at my cousins place in Hardisty from tomorrow night until Sunday evening and we were hoping to find a lake with Walleye retention that wasn't too too far away. The regulations at Vincent say you can keep 1 walleye a day of any size limit which made me believe it must be decent? I also have a depth chart for the lake which was conducted in 1965 and says the lake was 30' deep? So water levels have dropped that much? You sound like you have pretty good knowledge of that area? Would you mind sending me a PM with some suggestions? Please let me know,

Ken

sourdough doug
08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
If you would care to PM me a phone number, I'll call you, at your convenience and I could prob. help you more that way ...:wave:

SNAPFisher
08-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Well doug that sure sounds dissapointing! No im not familar with the area but im staying at my cousins place in Hardisty from tomorrow night until Sunday evening and we were hoping to find a lake with Walleye retention that wasn't too too far away. The regulations at Vincent say you can keep 1 walleye a day of any size limit which made me believe it must be decent? I also have a depth chart for the lake which was conducted in 1965 and says the lake was 30' deep? So water levels have dropped that much? You sound like you have pretty good knowledge of that area? Would you mind sending me a PM with some suggestions? Please let me know,

Ken

It is disappointing. Trust me when I say that the 1 walleye per day, any size, is not an indication of a decent lake. Quite the opposite.

Back in ...2003 I believe, they opened the lake to 1 walleye for 2-3 weeks. Like they did at Long Lake. However, Vincent received not that much pressure and had plenty of walleye after the 2-3 week period. Funny how Long Lake gets all the press on a failed, limited harvest that Vincent isn't toted as a success.

Anyways, with a healthy walleye population it then winter killed that very winter. All F&W did was open the limit to 1 any size, walleye and pike. I guess they figured might as well fish out what is left.....if any.

Water levels have dropped substantially since then and the lake is likely collapsed until the levels go up....whenever that is...and the lake eventually recovers.

If you still are curious try launching at WestCove. Sings are on highway 28. Travel South for about 12 kms on gravel then it changes to pavment. Turn left at the sign to the lake, I can't remember what is says on the sign but it is another left after that into the campground. Boat launch used to be great but I imagine not so now.

rookiemoosehunter
08-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I live near there and if you are going to travel from Hardisty, travel another 1 hour and go to Pinehurst if you want good walleye. I'm a local and I don't care to fish St. Vincent.
The lake has dropped so much over the years and had a huge winter kill a few years ago. The beaches were litterly lined with dead walleye.

Just my opionion though.

2DaBone
08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
several spots to launch a 12 ft aluminum. Westcove has a full boat launch still used regularly. Mallaig beach can be used as well but I dont think I would put in a large boat there. Westcove also has awesome campsites etc google for phone # and info under county of St Paul.
Walleye are in there but almost non existant. Jackfish are easy to catch there.
Real shame. I remember the year before the winter kill, so many walleye you couldnt keep them off the lines but werent allowed to keep any. Keep up the great work Fish and Wildlife

Wulfespirit
08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
With all the talk about altering and tightening regulations, you don't hear near as much about what I think is an even bigger problem in this province. Dropping water levels and winter/summer kills.

Am I out to lunch in thinking that more aerators or possibly diverting water into certain lakes is about the best thing we could do for a ton of the lakes in this province? Are these options not viable or is F&W not capable or carrying them out...

So many lakes in the NE quadrant of the province could sure use some help with the O2 in winter.

addicted
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
too much oil and gas in the province using water and altering ground water levels, now couple that with little rain or little snow pack spells desaster

sourdough doug
08-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Anyone who has fished or is familiar with ALL of these lakes has seen the levels decreasing for more than the last 20 years. Not any one factor is to blame and to think that diverting water or aereating will help, well, IMO, the cycle will have to run its course. The evidence is there that, the levels were at on time much lower than now and for an extended time..

SNAPFisher
08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Anyone who has fished or is familiar with ALL of these lakes has seen the levels decreasing for more than the last 20 years. Not any one factor is to blame and to think that diverting water or aereating will help, well, IMO, the cycle will have to run its course. The evidence is there that, the levels were at on time much lower than now and for an extended time..

Can I get a, AMEN!

jednastka
08-20-2009, 09:26 PM
We need to be somewhat careful about making blanket statements about what's to blame for lake levels. Many cycles in nature are much longer than our or ourn parents memory. In the mid 90's I was speaking to my wife's uncle out St. Paul way. He told me a very interesting story. The previous spring he had been venting on lake level oss at Lac Sante. He checked with people he knew, and felt certain level had not been lower in 60-70 years. Thew next summer (the one I visited him) the level was down even further. He walked out from his cabin to the water, and found the remains of an old birch or poplar stand, some trees were up to 6" in diameter!. So not only had the lake been that low at some time in the past, but that low for long enough for these trees to grow.

Vic

Wulfespirit
08-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Whether the cause is natural or not makes little difference to the impact on the fishery. Less fishable waters in Alberta means even more pressure on the healthier lakes. I haven't heard any explanations as to why aerators wouldn't help save lakes that are headed for big winterkills. That's not to say there aren't any, I just want to hear them if there are.

sourdough doug
08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=jednastka;373288]We need to be somewhat careful about making blanket statements about what's to blame for lake levels. Many cycles in nature are much longer than our or ourn parents memory. In the mid 90's I was speaking to my wife's uncle out St. Paul way. He told me a very interesting story. The previous spring he had been venting on lake level oss at Lac Sante. He checked with people he knew, and felt certain level had not been lower in 60-70 years. Thew next summer (the one I visited him) the level was down even further. He walked out from his cabin to the water, and found the remains of an old birch or poplar stand, some trees were up to 6" in diameter!. So not only had the lake been that low at some time in the past, but that low for long enough for these trees to grow.

The point you make about the trees is exactly what I have seen at Vincent, fishing there as a boy with my Dad. I have also seen the lake at flood level, to the point where access to the lake was only by driving where you thought the road was, thru a foot and a half of water.