PDA

View Full Version : Model 30 Jiffy

K.J
01-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Anyone ever have an issue with these augers? I took mine out yesterday and was drilling a hole when it let out a loud band and ceased up. The thing is barely two years old and was only taken out 6 times. I doubt its even drilled 20 holes . Its a two stroke and I have only used the Jiffy two stroke oil it came with for mixing gas. Everything I have seen on you tube about them says they are a great tough engine. I guess I will take the transmission end of first and see if the problem is in that, but honestly it sounded like the crankshaft letting loose.

Who Da Fisherman
01-29-2021, 02:09 PM
I have had mine for 15 plus years, she still starts up with 4 yearold gas. It never did want to run full tilt under load but it has been like that since day one.
WDF

lromanchuk
01-29-2021, 03:02 PM
Anyone ever have an issue with these augers? I took mine out yesterday and was drilling a hole when it let out a loud band and ceased up. The thing is barely two years old and was only taken out 6 times. I doubt its even drilled 20 holes . Its a two stroke and I have only used the Jiffy two stroke oil it came with for mixing gas. Everything I have seen on you tube about them says they are a great tough engine. I guess I will take the transmission end of first and see if the problem is in that, but honestly it sounded like the crankshaft letting loose.

I've had nothing but issues with my Jiffy since the day I bought it. Seems to be the common theme since they went away from Tecumseh.

Fwee6
01-29-2021, 03:25 PM
Have the older Model 30 with Tecumseh engine.
Bullet proof, zero issues.
I treat it well, it does the same in return.

** OP: by chance did all the grease leave the gear box and cease it up?

the local angler
01-29-2021, 05:28 PM
same here i have had mine since early 90's and not a single issue, still going strong. when i mix my 2 cycle oil i use the ratio given in the manual and i go over on the oil just a touch.

K.J
01-29-2021, 05:29 PM
Have the older Model 30 with Tecumseh engine.
Bullet proof, zero issues.
I treat it well, it does the same in return.

** OP: by chance did all the grease leave the gear box and cease it up?

My elderly father has had his Jiffy for at least 15 years and is bullet proof as well. This was I wanted to buy a Jiffy. I did'nt take apart the gear box to see. I was about to today but I notices a crack in the crankcase. I talked to a service dealer in Red Deer and I will let him have a look. It has hardly been used. I am hoping Jiffy will give some kinda warranty on it. Not even a scratch on it. It was purchased just over two years ago so they might help.

eagleflyfisher
01-29-2021, 05:57 PM
Bought a used one for my son to use.
3 recoils now and I’m giving up.
Bought an Ion which seems pretty good.
FYI I’m considering this a parts auger now so if someone wants a go at it gimme a shout and it’ll go cheap.

Whammies
01-29-2021, 07:01 PM
I have had 2 older ones , both work great. need to adjust the idling. for gas mixture I use a white paper towl and dip it into the gas. Ya wanna see a little bit of discoloration. Sold one auger and kept one. hopefully the problem isnt costly on yours

K.J
02-02-2021, 12:24 PM
Well I guess engine is done and warranty from Jiffy is only good for one year. The service technician asked if the gas was more than 30 days old and where I got it. It was older gas from a gas station. He said the ports on these newer 2 stroke engines are so tiny that older gas with any ethanol whatsoever will wreck the engine very fast.
Had I known that I never would have purchased a two stroke. Since I only go a few times a winter I would have to purchase a gallon of the gas he mentioned from a small engine place and throw it out every 30 days. Nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully if someone is thinking of buying one of these they read this and think twice. I now own a paper weight that would cost more than 400 to replace.

dth_
02-02-2021, 12:40 PM
Check all the little bolts and screws holding everything on as well as the bolts holding the cylinder down and case halves together. I had one of the cylinder bolts come out on mine and fall down into the flywheel.

It sounded and felt ugly when it happened. I pulled it all apart and reassembled and its been running fine since.

Dewey Cox
02-02-2021, 03:53 PM
For as little gas as I use in my ice auger, now I just buy the vp premixed stuff.