PDA

View Full Version : Berkly Gulp alive Minows

rccam1
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Has anyone ever used the Gulp Alive Minnows for Eye's. If so, what size and color did you prefer.

thanks

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Yes. 3" or 4". Hallow body are my favorite. Usually only use white/silver but recently bought firetiger, orange and yellow/black. Haven't tried them yet. Will be on Newell Saturday, will do there.

Check my report from Pigeon lake, i used one all afternoon.

rccam1
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks. going to your other posts now.

cheers

ULTRAlite
08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Always carry a pack of em in my gear. Stays on the hook WAY longer than real bait, and the eyes seem to love em. I use 3" rainbow but don't think it really makes a huge difference.

Deano85
08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Are they just as productive as real bait? Is there much of a difference compared to the cheap plastic baits?

Geezle
08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Are they just as productive as real bait? Is there much of a difference compared to the cheap plastic baits?

This is what I was wondering also...are these things worth the money?

Wulfespirit
08-18-2009, 07:22 PM
I haven't spent a ton of time evaluating them but if they're not as good as the real thing, they were at least -close- during times when the walleye bite was hot. They certainly didn't turn the walleye off when I used them (on two occasions) but they might've slowed the bite just a hair.

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I always start with live minnow. If you get a couple of bites or thiefs, then I have the wife man my rod and pull out the hallow body on another rod. Usually is just as good if not better. And if you you miss a bite with plastic, bounce it off the bottom and a lot of the time you get it the second time. With live bait, it can fall off easily.

If the bite is really slow, I seem to never get a first hit on them, always the minnow, but if you run into a school the plastic should catch just as many if not more. Even if it's only because it stay on your hook and doesn't fall off.

WayneChristie
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I assume you meant real minnow not live minnow? :D

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 09:37 PM

That I can't confirm. My go to ones are these as follows. I've had luck with them all this year (first year using them). Haven't ventured out to other colors yet.

Gulp Alive Pumpkin seed 4" (white/silver)
Berkley Hallow Body Swim Baits 4" (pearl white)
Wildeye storm swim shad - these are new to me, tried only once and nice and heavy, good feel and worked OK
And my favorite, Berkley split tail hollow belly 3". Have in firetiger and pearl white.

I usually mark a black line down the back of the pure white ones with a permnament marker, looks more natural this way.

nicemustang
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I assume you meant real minnow not live minnow? :D

Correct. A once alive real deal minnow.