PDA

View Full Version : Best line for tip-ups

Fwee6
01-30-2021, 08:46 PM
Looking for some AO advice...

I fish Spray Lk often, and with the steady wind up there it's a royal pain in the a** trying to keep tip-up line from tangling into a mess anytime I fight a fish.
I use 10lb mono on all my tip-ups currently.

Today I had to cut a bird's nest off 3x when trying to respool the line. Each time 20+ feet of line going to waste.

- Are guys using coated tip-up line? Braid? Then tie 8-10 feet of mono?
- Any issues with alternative lines freezing up?

Appreciate the help, thanks.

Topshot
01-30-2021, 10:09 PM
Use them all the time, right hand man. Use 30lb braided and pickerel rig with big smelt. The ones that cover the hole to prevent from freezing are best. I always get one on the tip up. One in the tent and one outside on tip up or jig or wandering.

EZM
01-30-2021, 10:10 PM
Looking for some AO advice...

I fish Spray Lk often, and with the steady wind up there it's a royal pain in the a** trying to keep tip-up line from tangling into a mess anytime I fight a fish.
I use 10lb mono on all my tip-ups currently.

Today I had to cut a bird's nest off 3x when trying to respool the line. Each time 20+ feet of line going to waste.

- Are guys using coated tip-up line? Braid? Then tie 8-10 feet of mono?
- Any issues with alternative lines freezing up?

Appreciate the help, thanks.

I use braid and have used Sufix "ice line" - I don't have any major issues. I also don't see a big difference between the "ice" line and the regular super slick power pro I normally use.

My leaders are fluorocarbon but they are below the water and, obviously, don't freeze up unless I spool it up wet and leave it out.

If you are daisy chaining your tip up to a rod (which is my preferred method) - part of the problem could be the reels. If you use a spinning reel, they do tend to be not quite as ice resistant compared to a center pin ice reel - but, again, marginally better IMO.

My laker ice rods are heavy St.Croix rods and have conventional spinning reels on them - so they can freeze up a little, but a nice heavy braid line, stout rod and good reel you can power through it.

https://i.imgur.com/Ox0MTdk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wPAmI9X.jpg

Sylvan Ice Angling
02-05-2021, 12:07 AM
I agree with the feller who suggested Sufix Ice Line. I figured I would just contribute my 2 pennies.

I use the Sufix Tip-Up Braid (50 Pound Test) and it is absolutely amazing! sure it absorbs water as all braid does but it is so easy on the hands and doesn't slice you up if the fish takes a run. I just take my Tip-Ups inside and let them dry after a day on the ice. I think the spools come in 50 yards so I guess I've got 50 yards of the Tip-Up Braid followed by a equivalently rated barrel swivel, then 4 feet of Sufix Low-Vis Green 50 Pound Test Braid with a equivalent Barrel Snap-Swivel that I attach to either a Cast Jighead (Walleyes & Burbs), or a Swedish Pike Hook or Stinger Rig when targeting Monstrous Pike.

dth_
02-05-2021, 12:23 AM
I use the suffix tip up braid. I have tried the coated tip up line and pulled it all off after the first time out. It had horrible line memory and I would never waste my money on it again.

Bushleague
02-05-2021, 01:28 AM
Any quality nylon braid tipup line, of about 20- 40 lb will do. I just tie on the appropriate leader material for the species I'm after. 6 lb for trout, 8- 10 lb for walleye, and 80lb mono leader material for pike.

I'd stay away from super braids if I were you, first of all because you can end up with some nasty cuts on your hands if you hook anything big. Secondly IMO, when you are playing fish with your hands some extra line stretch is to your advantage. It absorbs shock, and can help you maintain a tight line, nylon braid is noticeably superior to mono in this aspect.

For the line tanglement issues, nylon braid will help, but really you need to make sure you have some clean area downwind of your hole and watch how you lay your line as you pull it up. Rather than simply windmill the line up hand over hand fashion I of pull it up with left hand, pass it off to my right and continue the pull as I slide my left down the line for another grab. When I grab the line again with my left, I toss the line away from the hole in varying directions with my right. It keeps the line tidy and also helps maintain more control while fighting fish.

Talking moose
02-05-2021, 04:07 AM
50lb Dacron. Flouro leader.

trophyhunter
02-05-2021, 05:21 AM
50lb Dacron. Flouro leader.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cube
02-05-2021, 09:06 AM
Any quality nylon braid tipup line, of about 20- 40 lb will do. I just tie on the appropriate leader material for the species I'm after. 6 lb for trout, 8- 10 lb for walleye, and 80lb mono leader material for pike.

I'd stay away from super braids if I were you, first of all because you can end up with some nasty cuts on your hands if you hook anything big. Secondly IMO, when you are playing fish with your hands some extra line stretch is to your advantage. It absorbs shock, and can help you maintain a tight line, nylon braid is noticeably superior to mono in this aspect.

For the line tanglement issues, nylon braid will help, but really you need to make sure you have some clean area downwind of your hole and watch how you lay your line as you pull it up. Rather than simply windmill the line up hand over hand fashion I of pull it up with left hand, pass it off to my right and continue the pull as I slide my left down the line for another grab. When I grab the line again with my left, I toss the line away from the hole in varying directions with my right. It keeps the line tidy and also helps maintain more control while fighting fish.

X2

50 lb dacron with what ever leader the species requires. Laying it out in long pulls down wind is very helpful.

mapleleafman3
02-05-2021, 10:19 AM
I use tip-up braid on mine, can't remember if it 20lb or 30lb. I've never had an issue. I have a friend that was convinced by someone at the fishing hole to get the plastic coated braid. It is complete garbage. It hold the curl from the spool and pops off the spool really easy and is a complete birds nest when laid on the ice when bring in a fish. I would avoid that kind.

Brovacs
02-05-2021, 01:04 PM
X2

50 lb dacron with what ever leader the species requires. Laying it out in long pulls down wind is very helpful.

Agreed 50lb dacron is the way to go