PDA

View Full Version : Wtb old salmon plugs

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 09:12 AM
Hey fellas , if you have any old plugs kicking around and want to sell I’m always interested. Lucky louies preferably 5-1/4 shovels , lucky Louie chinooks ,Rex field, sea kings , whatever . Thanks .

Positrac
01-31-2021, 09:31 AM
Hey fellas , if you have any old plugs kicking around and want to sell I’m always interested. Lucky louies preferably 5-1/4 shovels , lucky Louie chinooks ,Rex field, sea kings , whatever . Thanks .

Are the 5-1/4” Shovels still going for $150-200 a pop?

I remember when you could find the odd Shovel on EBay, but that’s 20 years ago now. I got probably a dozen on there before guys who row in the pool caught on then price went way up.

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 09:47 AM
Are the 5-1/4” Shovels still going for $150-200 a pop?

I remember when you could find the odd Shovel on EBay, but that’s 20 years ago now. I got probably a dozen on there before guys who row in the pool caught on then price went way up. yes they still fetch a pretty penny. I am looking for plugs for doing just that. Once you row one fish your doomed forever 😂

Positrac
01-31-2021, 12:19 PM
I used to take any Shovel I had, sand it down then get them custom painted by Catherine Painter at Tomic. Best of both worlds. They have by far the best action out of any plug for rowing and after Catherine was through with them I had some of the hottest plugs over the 4 years I rowed. I rowed 5 Tyee in those 4 years but dozens of undersized in the 20’s. It’s a really cool experience for sure.

58thecat
01-31-2021, 12:27 PM
200 bucks a pop wow...my dad got out of fishing on the coast and gave me all his tackle so I took those plugs and hung them up in my den....6 of them....was thinking about heading out to Campbell River and use a few rowing in the tyee pool....might ring the bell!!!!

Sorry they are not for sale but I know why you would like them as they are a neat lure.

Positrac
01-31-2021, 12:59 PM
The only ones worth any real money are the 5-1/4” plastic Shovelnose. There are a lot of plastic Louies out there but there was a relatively small amount of the true Shovelnose variety made. All the Shovelnose plugs are 5-1/4” long, have an exaggerated dish on the nose and a rounded tail, not pointed. Also, if it’s wood, it’s not a Shovelnose.

There’s a guy in Campbell River who has been buying up any Shovelnose Louies he sees come up for sale for years. The last I heard he had over a thousand, and that was over 10 years ago. He also rowed the last Tyee over 60 pounds.

58thecat
01-31-2021, 02:36 PM
The only ones worth any real money are the 5-1/4” plastic Shovelnose. There are a lot of plastic Louies out there but there was a relatively small amount of the true Shovelnose variety made. All the Shovelnose plugs are 5-1/4” long, have an exaggerated dish on the nose and a rounded tail, not pointed. Also, if it’s wood, it’s not a Shovelnose.

There’s a guy in Campbell River who has been buying up any Shovelnose Louies he sees come up for sale for years. The last I heard he had over a thousand, and that was over 10 years ago. He also rowed the last Tyee over 60 pounds.

well this sparked interest so I checked and I do only have one of the lot a Minser Lucky Louie SHOVEL NOSE Salmon Plug as pictured below but no box...

Positrac
01-31-2021, 04:05 PM
well this sparked interest so I checked and I do only have one of the lot a Minser Lucky Louie SHOVEL NOSE Salmon Plug as pictured below but no box...

Nice! They haven’t made any of them for 60 years so I wouldn’t get rid of it...

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 05:30 PM
Nice! They haven’t made any of them for 60 years so I wouldn’t get rid of it...
So let me get this straight.... I start a thread looking for plugs theeeeen you hop on and talk people out of selling said plugs ??? What the????? Not using fishing gear for killing fish is not cool

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 05:53 PM
170633are you interested in selling the pink pearl shovel?

Scott h
01-31-2021, 06:24 PM
170633[/ATTACH]

I had no idea that those were desirable. I’ve got a bunch of old plugs like that laying around at our place on the coast. I do virtually all my fishing with herring and anchovies so I never bothered trying those. They would have been left there before the father-in-law passed away. We won’t be going up until the Haida lift the travel ban but if I remember I’ll send you some pics.

highland
01-31-2021, 06:25 PM
These were included in a bunch of stuff I bought ears ago from a coworker. Think most of these are witch doctors. 170646

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Positrac
01-31-2021, 06:28 PM
So let me get this straight.... I start a thread looking for plugs theeeeen you hop on and talk people out of selling said plugs ??? What the????? Not using fishing gear for killing fish is not cool

Lol. You’re right. I got carried away. Sorry. At one time rowing consumed a lot of my time.

I’m not liable to go rowing again but the only ones I have left have sentimental value since they are ones I rowed Tyee on. The rest I gave to a buddy when I moved. He still rows.

I’ll PM you with a name of the guy who has a whole room full of them. He’s getting on in age so you may be able to get a couple off of him. It will cost you though.

58thecat
01-31-2021, 06:34 PM
are you interested in selling the pink pearl shovel?

na it is hanging in the den but I didn't know they were so desirable...we use to have a whole bunch of them as this was the go to color that I liked to use....I bet a bunch went with the ol'mans boat when he sold it and got out of salmon fishing...he just gave me all his stuff and there was a lot of salmon fishing stuff including some plugs.

good luck on your quest though..

a interesting read...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=X-TrG4pZU0QC&pg=PA306&lpg=PA306&dq=when+were+Minser+Lucky+Louie+SHOVELNOSE+Salmon+ Plug+made&source=bl&ots=taCyrPjuUQ&sig=ACfU3U03kPzQvfj7w8ZnoC1lzf4Cez_wZQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK4Zb1xsfuAhUEHzQIHfoMDe84ChDoATAOegQIF RAC#v=onepage&q=when%20were%20Minser%20Lucky%20Louie%20SHOVELNOS E%20Salmon%20Plug%20made&f=false

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 06:54 PM
Lol. You’re right. I got carried away. Sorry. At one time rowing consumed a lot of my time.

I’m not liable to go rowing again but the only ones I have left have sentimental value since they are ones I rowed Tyee on. The rest I gave to a buddy when I moved. He still rows.

I’ll PM you with a name of the guy who has a whole room full of them. He’s getting on in age so you may be able to get a couple off of him. It will cost you though.

He won’t budge it’s a hard no lol . Appreciate the info I have a bunch already just looking for my new favourite all the time. I have three that are my proven plugs that get the from seat always anyway.

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 07:02 PM
na it is hanging in the den but I didn't know they were so desirable...we use to have a whole bunch of them as this was the go to color that I liked to use....I bet a bunch went with the ol'mans boat when he sold it and got out of salmon fishing...he just gave me all his stuff and there was a lot of salmon fishing stuff including some plugs.

good luck on your quest though..

a interesting read...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=X-TrG4pZU0QC&pg=PA306&lpg=PA306&dq=when+were+Minser+Lucky+Louie+SHOVELNOSE+Salmon+ Plug+made&source=bl&ots=taCyrPjuUQ&sig=ACfU3U03kPzQvfj7w8ZnoC1lzf4Cez_wZQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK4Zb1xsfuAhUEHzQIHfoMDe84ChDoATAOegQIF RAC#v=onepage&q=when%20were%20Minser%20Lucky%20Louie%20SHOVELNOS E%20Salmon%20Plug%20made&f=false

https://i.postimg.cc/DZxvwNwc/E67-B2363-67-B0-4982-A04-F-F37344-FECF03.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
They do work in the pool no doubt about it .

58thecat
01-31-2021, 07:14 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/DZxvwNwc/E67-B2363-67-B0-4982-A04-F-F37344-FECF03.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
They do work in the pool no doubt about it .

was back in Campbell River a few years ago on the motorbike and we watched two people ring the bell...I said next time I get back I am taking this sport up...congrats on the fish...man I just enjoyed the area...ate fish and chips at Dick's and enjoyed the sunsets...awesome place...club people were super friendly and loved to chat fishin'...sister spotted me 20 bucks for a oilskin type Tyee Club ball hat...I still owe her:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Blacktail1
01-31-2021, 07:58 PM
was back in Campbell River a few years ago on the motorbike and we watched two people ring the bell...I said next time I get back I am taking this sport up...congrats on the fish...man I just enjoyed the area...ate fish and chips at Dick's and enjoyed the sunsets...awesome place...club people were super friendly and loved to chat fishin'...sister spotted me 20 bucks for a oilskin type Tyee Club ball hat...I still owe her:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Shoot me a pm next time your here in the summer I’ll take you out if it works see what your made of on the rod. In my boat if you loose a fish I’m gonna rib you the rest of the day just cause it’s funny.

58thecat
02-01-2021, 12:36 AM
Shoot me a pm next time your here in the summer I’ll take you out if it works see what your made of on the rod. In my boat if you loose a fish I’m gonna rib you the rest of the day just cause it’s funny.

Wouldn't have it any other way!!!!
Will definitely take you up on the offer....:sHa_shakeshout: