PDA

View Full Version : Tackle box shopping

Geezle
08-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, I'm slowly getting back into fishing, and I think I've about acquired enough stuff that I should get myself a proper tackle box. Right now I have a small Plano 'Stowaway' box and two other small boxes that I got from the dollar store. I don't have a ton of tackle yet, but I keep acquiring more so I need a little room to expand.

So where (in Edmonton) should I look? So far I've just been looking online at WSS, The Fishin' Hole, and Cambodian Tire. Any suggestions for other places I could check online would be great.

Also, what do you folks look for in a box? Any style preferences (tray, bag, satchel, whatever...)?

I kinda like the looks of the Flambeau Hip Roof tackle box, but some of the soft bags seem nice too. I'd like to keep things in the $30ish range if possible, and I'm open to any suggestions :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Well, I'm slowly getting back into fishing, and I think I've about acquired enough stuff that I should get myself a proper tackle box. Right now I have a small Plano 'Stowaway' box and two other small boxes that I got from the dollar store. I don't have a ton of tackle yet, but I keep acquiring more so I need a little room to expand.

So where (in Edmonton) should I look? So far I've just been looking online at WSS, The Fishin' Hole, and Cambodian Tire. Any suggestions for other places I could check online would be great.

Also, what do you folks look for in a box? Any style preferences (tray, bag, satchel, whatever...)?

I kinda like the looks of the Flambeau Hip Roof tackle box, but some of the soft bags seem nice too. I'd like to keep things in the $30ish range if possible, and I'm open to any suggestions :)

Get a tackle bag wait until next weekend fishin hole has there big summer sale .

Geezle
08-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Get a tackle bag wait until next weekend fishin hole has there big summer sale .

Sweet, thanks for the heads up...didn't know about the sale :cool:

edit: and is there a particular reason you suggest getting a bag as opposed to a box? :)

Cal
08-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I HATE HATE HATE those things!!! I have one and use it lots but I cant for the life of me see any advantage over the tackle box. I can see some very anoying dissadvantages however. The biggest one being how all your lures are in different boxes. If your like me and like to keep stuff organized you probably organise them in the various boxes by lure type, one for spoons, one for jigs and terminal tackle, one for plugs etc. So when you go to change from a spoon to a crank bait you gotta examin all the boxes from the visible end and figure out which one is the the spoon box, pull it out of the bag and put your spoon back in there. Find the the plug box and grab your plug, then you realise you might want a leader to keep a pike from stealing your pricey crankbait so you gotta dig out whichever box has your leaders in it, oops gotta flatten the barbs so now you gotta dig through the pockets for your pliers. Now you've got tackleboxes and tackle strewn all over the bottom of the boat. When I first bought mine all the tackle trays had long narrow compartments, where are you supposed to put your spinner baits?

Before I lost my tackle box in a canoe accident and made the mistake of buying a tacklebag everything was so simple, just open the lid and stand the trays up and all your hooks were right there. Little compartments in all shapes and sizes to accomidate any fish hook you pleased. A nice big space in the bottom for scent, pliers, and bottom bouncers. If you went fishing in the rain and had to air it out so your hooks didnt get rusty all ya had to do is pop the lid rather than have all these little tackleboxes all over the kitchen table. That tacklebox smell of old rotten power bait and new jigs MMMMM.... getting misty eyed just thinking about it. If you realy want a tackle bag just go buy some of those terrible little tackleboxes that they put in those crapy little duffel bags and throw them in an old backpack. Now you actualy do have an advantage in portability over a tackle box, pretty sure one of these years plano will steal my system and it will become then next rage in tackle storage.

PoorTurtle
08-19-2009, 07:51 AM
If you fish lots of different lakes or species the bag i great for that. i have bags and boxes that I use for storage but if i know what im fishing for i just set up the small totes with gear i would need for the trip. why carrie lake trout hooks if you are going for rainbows.
if you go for the box, think of how and where you fish. dont buy a hugh box if you fish out of a canoe for example. watch out if for the barn door style, if you open only one side they tend to flip over.

DarkAisling
08-19-2009, 08:21 AM
We've got two tackle bags, a large tackle box (which uses the same tray system as the tackle bags), and an itty bitty ancient tackle box that has a hinged lid with two trays that pop up when the lid is opened.

Cal has some very good points . . . especially the one about drying out trays on the kitchen table. The bags are nice as they're a little more portable, and are easier to squeeze into the car when we've got it stuffed to the gills with camping gear. Also, the trays can be kind of hard to get out of our bags, and I usually have to pull all of them out to find what I'm looking for. As a result, the trays from the bags wind up spread out all over the place.

But, if I could start over, I'd probably buy a couple of these http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0785205P/Flambeau%2BThree%2BTray%2BTackle%2BBox.jsp (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0785205P/Flambeau%2BThree%2BTray%2BTackle%2BBox.jsp) or these http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0782568P/Flambeau%2B6%2BTray%2BHip%2BTackle%2BBox.jsp.

ACM
08-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Remember the old adage- The skill of the Fisherman is inversely proportional to the size of the tackle box

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Sweet, thanks for the heads up...didn't know about the sale :cool:

edit: and is there a particular reason you suggest getting a bag as opposed to a box? :)

I say tackle bag Because you have 4 to 6 different compartments , one you can put spoons , jigs , crank baits , spinners , etc Keeps things organised , easy to haul then a big clunky tackle box.

Cal
08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
If you fish lots of different lakes or species the bag i great for that. i have bags and boxes that I use for storage but if i know what im fishing for i just set up the small totes with gear i would need for the trip. why carrie lake trout hooks if you are going for rainbows.
if you go for the box, think of how and where you fish. dont buy a hugh box if you fish out of a canoe for example. watch out if for the barn door style, if you open only one side they tend to flip over.

I fish from a canoe and I must say that few people own a big enough tacklebox that four of them would not fit in my canoe. It is after all 16 feet long, 3 feet wide and can carry 1200 lbs:rolleyes: One of the reasons I hate tackle bags so much is that I dont like having the tackle trays loose in the canoe, if you flip you will loose them all. Therefore after I dig them all out just to change a hook I must then put them all back in the bag, which is tied to the thwart, befor I start fishing again.

I like plano boxes myself, I like 3 tray ones that are big enough I can put another tackle tray in the bottom if I want. My favorite one that I have owned was a great big one that had a brown bottom and green lid or vice versa, I dont think they make them anymore but if anyone has an old one they dont want I will trade you my tacklebag for it. I solve the problem of carying trout hooks while pike fishing by having a seperate box for trout and perch, it only takes a very small, cheap tackle box to contain all the trout hooks you could possibly need. For about 5 years I've been using a 2 sided cheapo tackle compartment that measures maby 6"x4" Since the hooks are small I've got dozens of spinners and spoons, a couple slip bobbers, some sinkers etc in there. I have a couple extra regular tackle boxes sitting around and have given a few others away but I prefer this little guy cause I can put it in my pocket and hike a couple miles upstream. I also keep these in my ice fishing pails one pail for pike and walleye and one for perch and trout. Cheap easy and well organized.

hockey1099
08-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Im like you and just got back into fishing. Its not cheap to get started but it is ok after the initial investment.

i bought a tackle bag that came with 4 plano trays. i have one for jigs, crankbaits, spoons, the last one has my knife pliers, leaders, swivels, weights etc etc in it. the bottom on the big zips to allow more room in the bag. so i have added a roll of paper towel and another plane box that has 3 sponge rollers to hold my 40 walleye rigs ( i.e worm harnesses). The bag is great and you can add to it and change out boxes if you want too. Plus there is storage on the top ( i keep another small box in there with plastic jig bodies and a set of hemostats) and two pockets on the side. i only paid $48 for the basic bag.

Buy bigger than you need now so that when you add to your collection you dont need to go buy a new box.

Geezle
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised at the varied opinions out there.

I'm still up in the air. I like the idea of the box because you can have everything there, right in front of you all at once with no effort, but at the same time, I think the bag can be a little more versatile...you can get extra containers for the bag, and just bring the ones you need for whatever you happen to be fishing for.

Decisions, decisions...I just hope I can find a good deal on something at that sale!

stuartmcgrandle
08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
i got a great deal at walmart 1 month ago, a wicked big box for $32 regular $60

Geezle
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
i got a great deal at walmart 1 month ago, a wicked big box for $32 regular $60

I was just down at The Mart a little while ago, and I think I saw the box you're talking about.

It's a big plano box, with 4 drawers, and then the top lid opens up, right?

At first I thought it would be a pretty sweet deal for me at $32 but then I took a closer look and thought about it a bit, and I think that one's just overkill for my needs. I normally fish from shore, and there's usually at least a short hike involved, and I just don't see myself lugging that big box around.

I'm still torn between a bag and a smaller 6 tray box

jts1
08-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I do a lot of fishing and most times you do need to hike your gear in, have a pack that I will put trays in if I'm going for bows then I pack that tray. Different fish different tray. My rods attach to the bag chair can clip on the bottom of pack. I can take 2 rods my belly boat and all my gear up to Chester Lake thats what 5.some km 1 way...

Geezle
08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I do a lot of fishing and most times you do need to hike your gear in, have a pack that I will put trays in if I'm going for bows then I pack that tray. Different fish different tray. My rods attach to the bag chair can clip on the bottom of pack. I can take 2 rods my belly boat and all my gear up to Chester Lake thats what 5.some km 1 way...

Nice, sounds like you have a pretty well thought out set up :)

That's also why I avoided that big box at Wally World...just too bulky. At least with a bag and trays I can have everything organised and just take the appropriate trays for whatever type of fishing I'm doing.

Cal
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
You can buy the tackle trays without the tackle bag, then put them in a backpack instead, this is way better than a tacklebag or a tacklebox if your fishing from shore.

Jack&7
08-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I do mostly "boat" fishing, so having a big tackle box is not a prob for me. So I just recently bought that Flambeau hip roof box that the original poster mentioned. I was pretty impressed...reg $35 or $39 (can't quite remember which) at CDN Tire on sale for $17.99. And it has tons of space!

It comes with extra dividers so you can customize the compartments on the trays to whatever configuration you want. There are 6 trays total (3 /side) and a huge area in the bottom. The trays are designed well and are big enough on the one side for big musky lures and spinner baits. The other side has smaller bins that are perfect for jigs, weights, etc.

Probably the neatest feature I found was a few slots on the sides of the trays that are perfect for a pair of needle nose pliers, etc. And they don't interfere with the trays being open or closed. Really handy! It even has two beer...uh, I mean "cup" holders built into the lid! How can you beat that?

For 17 bucks, I don't think I'll find a better box! Boy...if I only had a nickel for every time I've said that!:evilgrin:

Beazer
08-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I have the biggest Flambeau box I could find($74) at wholesale I think.
I have everything in there and even more trays I can slide in and out.
Primary use:Storage for all the hooks, so they don't get tangled or rust. Can toss it in my Jeep if I want to go someplace far.

However I never use all the hooks in there in one day, my uncle despises it saying it's just waay too big. He's right.

I'm using it for transport and all that, and I plan to get a much smaller, maybe more versatile box. Otherwise I use my MEC pack.

The best thing about the trays is that you can have a pike box, eye box, trout box. Varied sizes, and there are even ones for the spinnerbaits.

Geezle
08-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I do mostly "boat" fishing, so having a big tackle box is not a prob for me. So I just recently bought that Flambeau hip roof box that the original poster mentioned. I was pretty impressed...reg $35 or $39 (can't quite remember which) at CDN Tire on sale for $17.99. And it has tons of space!

It comes with extra dividers so you can customize the compartments on the trays to whatever configuration you want. There are 6 trays total (3 /side) and a huge area in the bottom. The trays are designed well and are big enough on the one side for big musky lures and spinner baits. The other side has smaller bins that are perfect for jigs, weights, etc.

Probably the neatest feature I found was a few slots on the sides of the trays that are perfect for a pair of needle nose pliers, etc. And they don't interfere with the trays being open or closed. Really handy! It even has two beer...uh, I mean "cup" holders built into the lid! How can you beat that?

For 17 bucks, I don't think I'll find a better box! Boy...if I only had a nickel for every time I've said that!:evilgrin:
Glad to hear that you like that hip roof box...if I don't find a good deal on a bag I like, I'll probably end up with that box. Even at the $30ish price point it seems decent, though $17 would be even better :)

DarkAisling
08-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Oh, I forgot to add something important: Flambeau doesn't (in my opinion) include enough dividers in their trays. It's really annoying, as one of our bags is Flambeau and it has four trays, but only ten dividers (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0785915P/Flambeau%2BSoft-Sided%2BTackle%2BSystem.jsp (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0785915P/Flambeau%2BSoft-Sided%2BTackle%2BSystem.jsp)). Our other tackle bag is a Plano (http://images.shootnhunt.com/fish-images/0030-0514.jpg to see a picture of it) and it has lots of dividers . . . way more than we need. The Plano is the one I like the best, too. It's available at Canadian Tire, but the CT website is down right now and I can't get the link for it.

Geezle
08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Oh, I forgot to add something important: Flambeau doesn't (in my opinion) include enough dividers in their trays. It's really annoying, as one of our bags is Flambeau and it has four trays, but only ten dividers (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRD~0785915P/Flambeau%2BSoft-Sided%2BTackle%2BSystem.jsp). Our other tackle bag is a Plano (http://images.shootnhunt.com/fish-images/0030-0514.jpg to see a picture of it) and it has lots of dividers . . . way more than we need. The Plano is the one I like the best, too. It's available at Canadian Tire, but the CT website is down right now and I can't get the link for it.
Now that's something I wasn't aware of, and not really something I even thought about looking into, but now that you've brought it up I'm going to have to look a little closer at whatever I end up buying.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Agb Crash
08-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Remember the old adage- The skill of the Fisherman is inversely proportional to the size of the tackle box

Uh Oh please don't tell my wife. I have 6 tackle boxes full and they are all big.

Geezle
08-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, I think I came to a decision.

Today I went out and actually looked at as many tackle boxes as I could in person to see what I really wanted. I looked at The Fishin' Hole, Cambodian Tire, The Wal, and WSS.

As a sidenote this was my first trip to WSS and they have a ton of stuff! The only thing that let me down was that the tackle boxes were spread across the tops of all the fishing aisles in no particular order, so looking through them was a bit of a pain.

I really liked the looks of the bags at first, but once I actually got looking at them in person, I realised that they don't have a lot of bulk storage for extra line, scent, bait, misc. other like you get with a more 'standard' tackle box.

So I decided that I'm going to pick up a Plano Hiproof 6 tray box from The Wal when I head out again in a while. At first I was actually going to get the Flambeau one with 7 trays, but after looking at it, I decided not to. Bigger doesn't always mean better...it had an extra tray, but all the trays seemed smaller than the Plano box. Also, like Shelley mentioned, it didn't have squat for dividers.

This is the one I'm going to get...hopefully I get the link right!
http://http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/ftu/plugins/phpthumb/phpThumb.showpic.php?src=../../../mm5/graphics/00000001/Plano-8600.jpg (http://www.fishingtackleunlimited.com/ftu/plugins/phpthumb/phpThumb.showpic.php?src=../../../mm5/graphics/00000001/Plano-8600.jpg)

DarkAisling
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I almost purchased that box yesterday (bought a smaller three tray one instead), to replace our antique two tray. I'm thinking I should have purchased the Hiproof 6 tray box.

Oh well. There will always be more tackle, and more opportunities for more boxes ;)

FYI: the Plano dividers don't fit in the Flambeau boxes/trays properly. Which is kind of a bummer, as I've got so many extra Plano dividers.

hockey1099
08-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Good Luck with what ever you get.

This is what i have and i cant recommend it enough

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=43689&idcategory=168

Geezle
08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I almost purchased that box yesterday (bought a smaller three tray one instead), to replace our antique two tray. I'm thinking I should have purchased the Hiproof 6 tray box.

Oh well. There will always be more tackle, and more opportunities for more boxes ;)

FYI: the Plano dividers don't fit in the Flambeau boxes/trays properly. Which is kind of a bummer, as I've got so many extra Plano dividers.

Where did you get your 3 tray from? If you're already having second thoughs about it, maybe look into exchanging it. Especially if you happened to have gotten it from Wal-Mart...they're real good about returns :)

It's unfortunate, I like the looks of a lot of the Flambeau products, but there's just small drawbacks that keep me away from them.

Cal
08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I dont like those hip roof boxes much, they seem like they would tip over if you loaded the big trays heavy and pulled them out without extending the otherside as well with a similar load in there. Just big ole 3 tray boxes are my fav.

Geezle
08-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I dont like those hip roof boxes much, they seem like they would tip over if you loaded the big trays heavy and pulled them out without extending the otherside as well with a similar load in there. Just big ole 3 tray boxes are my fav.

Well I just picked up the box, and now that you said that, I had to check it out. The way the lid opens, it basically makes for a wider base. I tried opening just the big side, and pushing down on on it, and I can guarantee that I'd never have enough weight in one side, even with the other empty to tip it over :)

DarkAisling
08-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Where did you get your 3 tray from? If you're already having second thoughs about it, maybe look into exchanging it. Especially if you happened to have gotten it from Wal-Mart...they're real good about returns :)

It's unfortunate, I like the looks of a lot of the Flambeau products, but there's just small drawbacks that keep me away from them.

Hubby has decided that he quite likes the three tray (and was particularly impressed with how nicely I had organized it), so he'll be hanging on to it. I've decided that now that his gear is relatively complete and organized, he's in charge of his own box now.

I dug out a Plano box that I purchased five years ago (a 7271 http://www.cabelas.com/p-0023086016529a.shtml mine's blue, but the same box). Hubby had been storing his model train parts in it. It takes the same trays as my bag, so I'll use the box unless space or a hike is an issue as it has more room.

Damn, I really dislike trays! We were out two days ago, and all hubby had to do was open his box. I had trays scattered everywhere. The recession has made me turn over a new leaf, though: I'll make do with what I have if it works, I'll fix it if it's broken, I won't buy what I don't need, and one item in means one item out (to deal with clutter).

Edit: Oh, I finally got a hold of someone at Flambeau about getting more dividers. They want me to PAY for them. I don't think so. I simply won't buy their products in the future.

Cal
08-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I hear ya DA, I bought my tacklebag back when I still had a tacklebox just to store very large pike hooks that would not fit in my tacklebox compartments. Then I decided to run the Athabasca River solo while it was badly flooded (many of the islands on my map were merely treetops that would scrape the canoe bottom). I made a bad call near the Berland river, lost my whole rig, nearly drown since I had wisely chose to sit on my lifejacket rather than wear it, and had to walk most of the way to Edson and hitch hike home to Edmonton in a rainstorm wearing a garbage bag for rain gear, carrying a pizza box sign that read "I dont bite!" A rather funny side story is that my brother who was surveying in the area actualy saw me hitch hiking in the rain but didnt stop to pick me up because he assumed it couldnt be me since I was canoeing. Since I had left my tackle bag at home just to spite it Ive been using it ever since and cursing it every time I use it. Four years later I still have that pizza box sign and the garbage bag raincoat, my wife tries to use them to talk sense to me whenever I start talking about extended solo tripping again.

Jack&7
08-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh, I forgot to add something important: Flambeau doesn't (in my opinion) include enough dividers in their trays. It's really annoying, as one of our bags is Flambeau and it has four trays, but only ten dividers. Our other tackle bag is a Plano and it has lots of dividers . . . way more than we need. The Plano is the one I like the best, too. It's available at Canadian Tire, but the CT website is down right now and I can't get the link for it.

DA....this is the box I ended up buying and I think the one you looked at as well. I found it had a ton of dividers with it. So much so that I have placed the ones I am not using in a little ziploc bag and stuffed it in a corner of the box.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&id=0030338119816a&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=&cm_pla=&cm_ite=netcon

DarkAisling
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I hear ya DA, I bought my tacklebag back when I still had a tacklebox just to store very large pike hooks that would not fit in my tacklebox compartments. Then I decided to run the Athabasca River solo while it was badly flooded . . .

I'm totally questioning your sanity now :lol:

Whenever the other-half decides to do something I deem silly, I ask him if he's purchased a life insurance policy to help provide for his son in the event of his untimely demise. That usually gets him rethinking his plans.

DA....this is the box I ended up buying and I think the one you looked at as well. I found it had a ton of dividers with it. So much so that I have placed the ones I am not using in a little ziploc bag and stuffed it in a corner of the box.

Yup. That is one of the ones I looked it. Their boxes seem to have adequate dividers, by the dividers included in their trays are woefully inadequate for the way I organize things.

Geezle
08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Edit: Oh, I finally got a hold of someone at Flambeau about getting more dividers. They want me to PAY for them. I don't think so. I simply won't buy their products in the future.

That's weaksauce! I can't believe they want you to pay for a couple extra dividers they should have given you in the first place!

Just out of morbid curiosity, did you find out how much they wanted for them? :scared:

DarkAisling
08-25-2009, 07:46 PM
The dividers themselvers are cheap http://www.flambeauhardware.com/small_storage/tuff_tainer.asp#dividers. She told me that shipping to Canada was expensive. I don't know what that means, exactly, but I wasn't impressed.

DarkAisling
09-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Just got a Plano 6134 3-Tray Guide Series box at a Wal-mart here in Calgary (the one at the Deerfoot Outlet Mall: Deerfoot and 64th Ave NE) for $21.XX bucks! This was a "price roll back." I don't know if it is just that store or if all of them have reduced it. There was one left after I bought this one. Their previous price was 25.XX. BPS online is $31.XX USD for this box.

This is definitely the best box we've got. The trays open nice and wide. It is really stable when the trays are open as the lid and the bottom are the same height. It closes up very nicely too, and there's lots of room in the bottom for stuff as the trays basically sit on top of the bottom . . . too bad it goes to the teenager for his birthday. :(

Oh well, when I get so POd at my 4672 bag and my 7271 box that I send them flying into the nearest dumpster, I know what to replace them with.

Geezle
09-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Just got a Plano 6134 3-Tray Guide Series box at a Wal-mart here in Calgary (the one at the Deerfoot Outlet Mall: Deerfoot and 64th Ave NE) for $21.XX bucks! This was a "price roll back." I don't know if it is just that store or if all of them have reduced it. There was one left after I bought this one. Their previous price was 25.XX. BPS online is $31.XX USD for this box.

This is definitely the best box we've got. The trays open nice and wide. It is really stable when the trays are open as the lid and the bottom are the same height. It closes up very nicely too, and there's lots of room in the bottom for stuff as the trays basically sit on top of the bottom . . . too bad it goes to the teenager for his birthday. :(

Oh well, when I get so POd at my 4672 bag and my 7271 box that I send them flying into the nearest dumpster, I know what to replace them with.
Is that the one with the two clear compartments on the lid? I noticed the Wal-Mart by me had that one rolled back to about the same price as you mentioned.

Either way, good to see you found a good deal on a product you like :)