PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting with Decoys

Citytaz
02-01-2021, 12:08 PM
Good day all

Curious to hear if anyone has used decoys for elk hunting and if so what the response has been.

Pudelpointer
02-01-2021, 01:37 PM
...... assume you are asking in regards to archery season only....

I have used the Montana decoys a bit for elk and antelope. For archery antelope they are pretty much necessary unless you have scouted out a water hole in a dry year. They work amazing - had numerous bucks come running. One was >350 m and walking away; I whistled as loud as I could, and when he turned I held the decoy high over my head. He came at gallop, barely giving me time to get it anchored and my arrow nocked... and then I shot over his back; came in to 12 yards.

For elk they can also be highly effective. Have called in a number of younger bulls and had some crazy close encounters while using the deke. Been within spitting distance (literally) of two different bulls, and had a thirds jump directly over my hunting partner when it caught my scent at close range and tried to exit sideways.

The best part of using a decoy for bowhunting is it gives the animal something else to focus on, instead of looking closely at every single hair moving on your head.

The downside is they take time to set up, and are a bit awkward to pack or carry, and the stakes (like collapsible tent poles) are loud when setting up or taking down. You also need to get lucky with the direction of response. If the animal is coming in on the edge of the decoy, they will not see it.

One of those close encounter bulls I mentioned earlier came straight to the decoy, veering off a couple feet a few metres out, and walked on the far side of a big aspen that I had rested the decoy's rear end on (I started only setting up the front leg-head stake and using bush or trees to stabilize the other end) when his head passed the tree he suddenly couldn't see 'his cow' anymore and he stopped like he had just witnessed David Blaine levitate! His head snapped up and his eyes got real wide. He backed up a couple steps, then turned and walked back where he had come from... when he suddenly spotted his cow again he froze, then got PO'd and started bugling, and trotting around trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I used to have a video of the whole thing... no idea where it is now.

Citytaz
02-01-2021, 01:58 PM
thx for the response.
Could be for both bow and gun related.
Would you use just a cow or bull decoy as well.

Looking to go during rut season

freeride
02-01-2021, 02:22 PM
thx for the response.
Could be for both bow and gun related.
Would you use just a cow or bull decoy as well.

Looking to go during rut season

I would never use one during rifle season. You hear every year about guys getting scoped, now add in hiding behind or beside what looks like a bull or a cow (they might have a cow tag) and its just too much of a risk in my books for me.

During archery yes I use one.

I wish I could tell you its the magic secret but its not, its another tool. Some days I have had great encounters, and have got way too close, other days they have looked and left because of it.

Its like using a call, some days yup they charge in, other days they sneak out. IF the bull or cow is in the right attitude they can be great though.

Citytaz
02-01-2021, 03:20 PM
thx for the response

i never thought about that circumstance during rifle season.
If anything i would set it up a safe distance away from where i would sit.

I agree its another tool. Hoping i can use everything possible to get me an opportunity for a shot. IM not afraid of putting the time in but every advantage i can get will help.

Sakoman
02-01-2021, 03:43 PM
Have used a Montana cow elk decoy in archery for years. I would never go on a hunt without one. Try one, you will be happy you did!

Citytaz
02-01-2021, 04:07 PM
thx response Sakoman

I am interested to hear if anyone has used a bull decoy when bugle time sets in or a cow the only way to go.

freeride
02-01-2021, 04:21 PM
If your really set on using one during rifle season... which I still advise not to even if you sit far away. (you could still be in line with a shot from someone), then at least put some blaze orange flagging strips across it. The elk wont notice a couple of bands across it, but hopefully people would.

But defiantly get one for archery rut. It wont work 100% of the time, but neither does calling them and you never hear hunters saying to leave the calls at home.

Citytaz
02-01-2021, 04:26 PM
thx freeride
your comments have absolutely had me thinking of alternatives.
any expertise or experience from the group is much appreciated.

Pudelpointer
02-02-2021, 01:51 PM
thx response Sakoman

I am interested to hear if anyone has used a bull decoy when bugle time sets in or a cow the only way to go.

Are you thinking of building a bull decoy? Don't think I have ever seen one...

As already stated, using any decoy during rifle season is asking for unnecessary pain and suffering... if from nothing else than constantly worrying that someone will take a shot at it. IIRC a bowhunter was shot in AB while carrying a decoy on his shoulder. I believe he was crossing a cutline and due to the lay of the land and distance the rifle hunter could not see the hunter, only the decoy. The injured hunter was bowhunting in an area with an open rifle season.

The advantage of the decoy is at close distance, not for drawing an animal in from a long way away... other than my earlier example of Antelope. In rifle season if you see an animal at closer range (in the forest) the decoy would be of limited value IMO. At farther distances calling is likely as effective or more for bringing them closer.

Citytaz
02-02-2021, 02:31 PM
thx Pudelpointer

If and thats a big IF i use one during rifle season i would not carry/transport the decoy in any manner except packaged accordingly.

The area i would be hunting is private as well and should be easier to deal with when it comes to other hunters.

Just looking for feedback on the topic which has been great.

270person
02-02-2021, 03:22 PM
Tried hunting elk with decoys. Didnt work worth a damn. I may have thrown them out too far in the pond or had too many ass up in the feeding position. :confused0024: Wont use them again.

Pudelpointer
02-02-2021, 03:54 PM
Tried hunting elk with decoys. Didnt work worth a damn. I may have thrown them out too far in the pond or had too many ass up in the feeding position. :confused0024: Wont use them again.

You should always have a couple feeders in the mix...

270person
02-02-2021, 05:04 PM
You should always have a couple feeders in the mix...

Ya I'm thinking 6 was too many. Damn. Also thinking a mallard/teal combo wasn't the way to go either. The canvasback coloration is a lot more elky.

nelsonob1
02-02-2021, 10:48 PM
I have e a large umbrella with a an elk decoy cover. Works great if you need to cover some open area. Also useful when it rains.

Had a cougar come within ten yards one year. Quite the experience.