PDA

View Full Version : Wanna try fly fishing again

Rapala
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi,

i tried flyfishing last year but i decided to just stick to spin fishing but then

the flyfishing seems more fun on the bow river so i decided to maybe take

lessons next summer but i have some questions about my gear which seems

to be the problems

i have a rod that is about 8ft(just measured it) and a white casting line i

think its called weight forward line(came with all the reels and rods) and a

normal looking reel that doesn't seem to cause any troubles.so

1. I think my rod is wayy too long, isn't it? and what would be a good rod on

rivers like the bow(i personally like ultra light rods.)

2. I think my line is too light to cast(if there are any weight differences in lines) and if my leader line is light, can it cause troubles?

3. Would it be hard to start flyfishing without lessons?

and if anyone can give me some tips i much appreciate it:lol:

p.s. english is not my first language so if there were any rude or unnecessary words, feel free to criticiz me :)

MrDave
08-18-2009, 10:07 PM
I am always willing to give a few lessons, interested in a trip up #2 to Innisfail?:wave: No your rod and line are probably all right. I use a 10'6" 6 weight rod so length is not an issue, you just need someone to show you. Come on up to the Caroline gathering and we can help you out.

notagoodtroutfisher
08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm in the same boat as rapala. I'm actually having a rod & reel built by a local guy (9' or 9'6" 6 wt) but would really like to see how its done

Rapala
08-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks dave,

does anyone know if i can use my spinning line as my flyfishing leader line?

slingshotz
08-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Depends on what lb test it is. There's nothing wrong against making your own leaders I used to tie on 6 feet or so of 15-20lb test to the fly line then change out the tippet to what you need. All depends on how line shy the area you are fishing is.

flygirrl
08-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Yes you can use your fishing leader as a tippit, as sugested it depends on the weight of the line. I think in your case rapala you may be feeling the fly rod is too long because your used to your spincaster. Also the balance is different on a flyrod wich when you first start out can cause concern. If you purchased your fly rod as a combo than the fly rod reel and flyline should all be the same weight and balanced. Practice, thats what it takes, even if you go out to your back yard and cast ( no fly of course) you will only get better.

Rapala
08-19-2009, 10:27 AM
thanks everyone but how do i straighten my spinning line? iron it?

slingshotz
08-19-2009, 10:30 AM
The best way is to pull it between two pieces of leather or other hard but not abrasive fabric. You can get it at any fly fishing store and even some Canadian Tires.

Rapala
08-19-2009, 11:28 AM
ok i'll try it, thanks

mistamikel
08-19-2009, 03:09 PM
im new to fly fishing too and i LOVE IT!! lol. if you ever want company shoot me a pm. Im usually down in bowness and bearspaw as its close to me.

jts1
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
If you guys new to fly fishing would like to try for some Greyling. We could get together and go to Quarry Lake. Its just a beginners spot , and close .

slingshotz
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM
im new to fly fishing too and i LOVE IT!! lol. if you ever want company shoot me a pm. Im usually down in bowness and bearspaw as its close to me.

Was down on the north side of Bowness park tonight doing some fly fishing but got skunked, how is bearspaw to fly fish? I'm probably going to try up closer to the dam next time.

I did spook something dozing in about 1ft of water in the mucky weeds in a bay, very weird but didn't get a good look at it. There's not pike that far upstream is there? Only other thing I could imagine it could be is a sucker as I can't imagine any trout sitting in warm still weedy water.

Beazer
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Rapala.
Fish Tales Fly Shop is going to be hosting a bunch of seminars next year for beginner fly fishing.
I for one am going to go, you should go too!