PDA

View Full Version : I oppose the cold lake tournament

Cold lake guy
02-05-2021, 07:43 PM
I think this will kill a lot of fish

Esox
02-05-2021, 08:01 PM
I got news for you. 1 tournament isnt going to do anymore damage than whats already happening out there. Cold lake easily has one of the highest percentage of poachers I have seen in the winter time. I have reported 15 to 20 people for sure keeping more than their limit or keeping small fish. While this fishery is great, it is 100% declining from when I started to ice fish it 15 years ago.

Egymcara
02-05-2021, 08:12 PM
I could waste my time typing a well written and thought out article on this but why bother. Humans ruin everything over time, Cold Lake won't be the first or last.

ghostguy6
02-05-2021, 08:28 PM
You want to save the lake then stop posting about it online for everyone to see. The more it gets glamorized the more people will fish it. It's been happening to every lake people constantly talk about publicly.

Mickey
02-05-2021, 09:34 PM
You want to save the lake then stop posting about it online for everyone to see. The more it gets glamorized the more people will fish it. It's been happening to every lake people constantly talk about publicly.

100% accurate.
My lake used to have some nice burbot in it. One guy blabbed. Then the internet sent everyone out in waves. All the nice ones are gone.
Be years before it recovers.

Same as hunters sharing info with random strangers online.

Who has a bull moose tag for zone _ _ _ I saw a massive one. PM me.
Does anyone know of someone with an elk problem? I applied in a zone I have never hunted. Always by accident.

Christ leave the animals alone and let people work for themselves.

CBintheNorth
02-05-2021, 09:48 PM

Spot on.
I loved Cold Lake 15 years ago when I could launch my boat in under 10 mins and didn't have to worry about bumping into other boats while trolling.
But such is life. People just can't help themselves.

Honestly, just wait till everyone finds out that there's big humpback perch in Hermitage Park Ponds....there won't be single perch left.:)

ghostguy6
02-05-2021, 10:54 PM
Spot on.
Honestly, just wait till everyone finds out that there's big humpback perch in Hermitage Park Ponds....there won't be single perch left.:)
Hey don't share that! Do you know how long it took me to realize they are only in the smallest pond by the dog park.:angry3:

rasbok
02-06-2021, 08:24 AM
so let me get this straight because you fished it 15 years ago gives you more right to fish then everyone else. Lots of people just like to get out of the house especially this past year. Maybe it's time you find a new lake for yourself.

Spot on.
I loved Cold Lake 15 years ago when I could launch my boat in under 10 mins and didn't have to worry about bumping into other boats while trolling.

-JR-
02-06-2021, 08:38 AM
The derby caps out at 400 fishermen.
Thats the average how many fishermen fish it on a summer long week end.
All fish on the derby must be released with video that they are .

I think you are just fishing for attention .

Jims83cj5
02-06-2021, 08:38 AM
It’s gunna be minus 25 half the people wont go now anyway

CBintheNorth
02-06-2021, 08:55 AM
so let me get this straight because you fished it 15 years ago gives you more right to fish then everyone else. Lots of people just like to get out of the house especially this past year. Maybe it's time you find a new lake for yourself.

I suggest you go back and re-read my post. Perhaps several times, until you grasp what I actually did and what I didn't say.
"find a new lake for yourself.".... that's rich.

rasbok
02-06-2021, 09:10 AM
"some people just can't help themselves" enough said

lromanchuk
02-06-2021, 09:33 AM
I'm pro anything that encourages fishing for the next generation. Complainers will always complain. It's what they do best.

58thecat
02-06-2021, 09:39 AM

Stay home and boycot....maybe get a few to protest...road block....in all seriousness since your from this area just remember when the patch was booming....boats, anglers, ice fishing shacks etc just a complete gong show and the lake, fishery survived that....so in perspective this tourny will do little to nothing other than spark a lot of fun, have the so called city take in a little cash to all businesses etc which is a good thing in these times....

With or without the tourny take a look at the tent cities over the wk-ends....I count along one shore line the other wk-end 52 tents not including the anglers in shanty's or sitting on a bucket....that was in one area and I know if I was to drive the entire lake and take count well more than likely numbers are in the hundreds....with or without a tourny going....just a perspective point of few.....this is a good thing for the community and all who are going to participate....see ya out there:)

CBintheNorth
02-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Spot on.

"some people just can't help themselves" enough said

Again, you need to read what I quoted, and what I said. Taking that sentence of out of context shows you didn't comprehend anything.
Does this clear it up for you? Or should I say "enough said"?

CBintheNorth
02-06-2021, 09:48 AM
I'm pro anything that encourages fishing for the next generation. Complainers will always complain. It's what they do best.

I agree with your first sentence 100 %.

Honest question, do you think derbies do this?

lromanchuk
02-06-2021, 09:49 AM
I agree with your first sentence 100 %.

Honest question, do you think derbies do this?

The 4000 person derby at Pigeon Lake years ago? No.

A capped 400 person event on Family Day weekend? Yes.

58thecat
02-06-2021, 09:59 AM
100% accurate.
My lake used to have some nice burbot in it. One guy blabbed. Then the internet sent everyone out in waves. All the nice ones are gone.
Be years before it recovers.

Same as hunters sharing info with random strangers online.

Who has a bull moose tag for zone _ _ _ I saw a massive one. PM me.
Does anyone know of someone with an elk problem? I applied in a zone I have never hunted. Always by accident.

Christ leave the animals alone and let people work for themselves.

My lake?

Fishing as in hunting will not guarantee success but it gets like minded people out to enjoy the outdoors.....remember when?.....those questions pop up all the time but through proper conservation you, me and all can do our part to ensure sustainability....a helping hand to a legal hunter or angler is not the issue here...it is the poachers that destroy and yes some a re legal licensed outdoors people that just can't help themselfs....those are the scum buckets we need to assist F&W to remove....so,we can get back to remember when.

HuyFishin
02-06-2021, 10:04 AM
We should be grateful events like this are being hosted. With rules in place like catch and release (with video proof) and barbless.

Times have changed and we do what we can to take care of the wildlife. I'm not sure how derbies were held before. Fishing culling maybe? But technology like our phone camera helps reduce fish mortality.

Before when anyone wanted to get any taxidermy service done you had to put a big hog into a cooler. Now we just need a couple measurements and some photos. No such thing as a perfect system but so far this is the best system we got.

I ain't no fish biologist or expert in any way but my guess is this will probably have little impact to the fishery.

I think what Mat has brought to everyone is a fantastic idea especially during covid and difficult times for many. I'm sure its going to give many smiles and laughs for family day. I also hope derbies like this are to stay and we will see it annually.:sHa_shakeshout:

BC7stw
02-06-2021, 10:46 AM
Couple things I’ve seen in the last 15 years.

Being older ( born in the 50’s ) I didn’t understand the power of multi-media. I’ve seen a number of unbelievable lakes here in B.C. Pretty much destroyed after posts about the incredible fishing. Small trophy lakes we fished for years reduced to guppy ponds in a couple years. Tried returning after 5 or 6 years to see if they had recovered, nope, improved but nothing like we had seen in years past. What a shame.

We were fishing on a somewhat secret laker spot last year, I was about to take a pic of a really nice laker and my son had to remind me to turn the location on the phone off. It follows the picture or video. Yet another layer of privacy invasion. And a good way to unknowingly give away the secret fishing or hunting spot.

The few lakes we fish now that do produce large fish consistently we don’t remove them from the water anymore, pics are in the water beside the boat, unless it’s headed home with us of course ( we never keep large fish )

Dewey Cox
02-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Fishing kills fish.
You should stop first.

rasbok
02-06-2021, 11:06 AM
👍🏼👍🏼

fishing kills fish.
You should stop first.

GrillBoss
02-06-2021, 03:07 PM
With or without the tourny take a look at the tent cities over the wk-ends....I count along one shore line the other wk-end 52 tents not including the anglers in shanty's or sitting on a bucket....that was in one area and I know if I was to drive the entire lake and take count well more than likely numbers are in the hundreds

Last Sunday it looked like there were 1000 people on the lake. Those fish were seeing a lot of lures. No wonder they bite better in early ice season (at least for me).

dustinjoels
02-06-2021, 04:05 PM
I don’t think cold lake was ever a secret. There’s only so many lakes of any size in Alberta and only a handful with lake trout that are easily accessible.

Lots of lakes decline in quality due to the Internet, but you’re kidding yourself if you think cold lake is one of them.

Blame the increased pressure on the oil and gas boom in the area throughout the 2000’s.

Cold lake guy
02-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Don’t get me wrong I think cold lake is a jewel of a lake and it can handle the pressure of sport fisherman..... however to have a tournament target a species that needs to be released correctly for it to survive is what I don’t agree with. Open water these fish can be correctly released and has a better chance of surviving even if your not an experienced fisher person.
400 people fishing each catches 3 a day so 1200 fish at a 25% mortality rate:thinking-006:

The flip side is cold lake needs the boost in the local economy

EZM
02-06-2021, 04:27 PM
I don’t think cold lake was ever a secret. There’s only so many lakes of any size in Alberta and only a handful with lake trout that are easily accessible.

Lots of lakes decline in quality due to the Internet, but you’re kidding yourself if you think cold lake is one of them.

I agree 100%.

It's also funny to see 90% of the people fishing the same general area of the lake when there is miles and miles of some unbelievable structure with nobody in sight on that lake.

I stumbled across an area last year that was a true gem. Didn't see another boat for 3 days anywhere near us and the two of us couldn't keep 2 lines down in the water as we were either pulling one up, or setting one down.

I have fished some amazing lakes, in remote areas, and never seen anything quite like this ...... it was 3 days of straight crazy awesome fishing on that lake.

If anyone has seen a decline, it's right in or around the bays there - that were this lake gets pressure .... meanwhile the rest of the lake seems to have very few boats and zero pressure.

lromanchuk
02-06-2021, 04:54 PM
I agree 100%.

It's also funny to see 90% of the people fishing the same general area of the lake when there is miles and miles of some unbelievable structure with nobody in sight on that lake.

I stumbled across an area last year that was a true gem. Didn't see another boat for 3 days anywhere near us and the two of us couldn't keep 2 lines down in the water as we were either pulling one up, or setting one down.

I have fished some amazing lakes, in remote areas, and never seen anything quite like this ...... it was 3 days of straight crazy awesome fishing on that lake.

If anyone has seen a decline, it's right in or around the bays there - that were this lake gets pressure .... meanwhile the rest of the lake seems to have very few boats and zero pressure.

Exactly. But I encourage everyone to stick to the bays. Much safer :)

Dewey Cox
02-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Don’t get me wrong I think cold lake is a jewel of a lake and it can handle the pressure of sport fisherman..... however to have a tournament target a species that needs to be released correctly for it to survive is what I don’t agree with. Open water these fish can be correctly released and has a better chance of surviving even if your not an experienced fisher person.
400 people fishing each catches 3 a day so 1200 fish at a 25% mortality rate:thinking-006:

Lead by example then.
Quit fishing.

58thecat
02-06-2021, 08:13 PM
I agree 100%.

The lake is full of lakers spread out all over that entire body of water....people like to hang out together it's a tribal thing and I support this:sHa_sarcasticlol:

If you see a decline you be a blind man....dam dinks keep on getting caught but ya never know when ya can hook a gooder and they are there deep in the bay's beside the fella with the camper:scared0018:

Honest :)

flyrodfisher
02-06-2021, 08:47 PM
This is a classified competitive fishing event...and as such will need to obtain a CFE license from SRD to hold it.
If the organizer has done so....and SRD have granted the license...then it can be held in accordance with the restrictions imposed by SRD.

Any opposition to this or any CFE event are best raised with SRD.

OL_JR
02-06-2021, 10:32 PM
It would be nuts this coming family day long weekend tourney or not.

Best thing they could do for that lake is go to a tag or something like that and let more fish grow. Just my two cents.

58thecat
02-07-2021, 08:49 AM
I just like to thank all involved for setting this up as it is going to be a lot of fun....

https://www.facebook.com/Cold-Lake-Ice-Fishing-Tournament-109534257647525

All the support and work put into it is much appreciated....just a little cut and paste from the facebook page...awesome....there is more too.

Bonnyville Bolt Supply and Sylvester Source for Sports have teamed up and with some help from Just Like Family Lakeland Area, will be out on the ice to help drill holes in support of the Cold Lake Men's Shed This is not only a chance ot have your hole drilled in seconds but with each hole drilled you will be entered to win both the Milwaukee Drill and the Eskimo Ice Auger at the end of the tournament. If you want some help give Jeff a call at 780-691-0080

Things like this put a smile on my face even during trying times for all.

Leyson.coleman
02-07-2021, 12:20 PM

I agree for sure but I think cold lake has no chance either way consider it arguably the most accessible lake trout lake in Alberta and most well known. I think I’m cold lakes case it has to be talked about to bring awareness to it’s growing problem to find away to fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cube
02-07-2021, 01:39 PM
It would be nuts this coming family day long weekend tourney or not.

Best thing they could do for that lake is go to a tag or something like that and let more fish grow. Just my two cents.

The tag thing has been brought up by the area biologist but Sask wants no part of the tag system. This is why they increased the min harvest size a number of years ago.

I think if a tournament is held winter is a much better time. While I am not certain on Lake Trout, all other species seem to have higher survival rates with catch and release while ice fishing. I would suspect this would be especially true with Lake Trout as well. So you would have far fewer fish caught and higher survival in winter which seems like the time to have a tournament if one is held.

fish99
02-07-2021, 03:53 PM
not to many legal lakers are kept at cold lake there just is not that many over 75 cm . when we go for a 5 day trip we only keep one fish for a fresh fish meal it feeds a lot of people.
i have seen guys keeping small fish , most of the fish that are harvested are poached in my opinion .
that is what is going to hurt the fishery

Afrayedknot
02-09-2021, 08:16 AM

LOL 250 of those 400 people won't even catch a fish. And I probably just jinxed myself for typing that :sign0161:

WinefredCommander
02-09-2021, 11:12 AM

Blame the increased pressure on the oil and gas boom in the area throughout the 2000’s.

Internet killed Winefred! Waiu! Spencer! I know you know Dustin!