PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Lines in the Water

canuckelkhunter
02-07-2021, 06:59 PM
My kids learned a valuable ice fishing lesson the other day. Never reel your lines in until everything is packed up and you're ready to go. I've been telling them this for a few years now and they finally caught their first last minute fish right before we were going to drive away. My 9 year old caught his PB pike and biggest fish of any species ever. He got the shakes he was so excited.

Made a video if anyone's interested in watching.

https://youtu.be/z7lJa4hC2zs

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Talking moose
02-07-2021, 07:19 PM
Yup. A new winner emerged!

backwoods
02-07-2021, 07:48 PM
Wonderful family video! Thanks for sharing.

Dewey Cox
02-07-2021, 09:48 PM
I swear I catch more fish when all my gear is packed away than any time else.
I don't reel up until I have the truck in gear.

Rock Doctor
02-08-2021, 12:11 AM
Great video:)

RD

58thecat
02-08-2021, 05:55 AM
Outside the tent lines are reeled up as we pack up but the outside ones sit and are last to go....reasons why?....watch the vid:sHa_shakeshout:

Like that the underwater cam keeps the entertainment up too....good job!!!

Awesome!

Fisherdan
02-08-2021, 08:22 AM
Great video! Lots of fun!

owlhoot
02-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Great Video, Thanks.
Yes, I never pull the lines out until I'm actually leaving which is usually long after I decide to leave

HuyFishin
02-08-2021, 09:58 AM
I always leave my rods in till the bitter end. Sometimes I'm afraid of forgetting my rod and driving away lol

Talking moose
02-08-2021, 10:07 AM
I知 not a fan of packing up after dark. I usually pack up with still some light out. After everything is packed up I値l sit in the truck and leave headlights on the tip ups/jaw jackers for another hour or so.

HuyFishin
02-08-2021, 10:11 AM
I知 not a fan of packing up after dark. I usually pack up with still some light out. After everything is packed up I値l sit in the truck and leave headlights on the tip ups/jaw jackers for another hour or so.

This is very smart. I should consider doing this.

Ynot
02-08-2021, 11:48 AM

This is a great idea! Thank you!

fisher69
02-08-2021, 11:56 AM
very good advice. its like when im fishing in summer, and i announce that only casting 5 more times before i leave, then on the 6th cast i get a fish. its like they can sense you are leaving and think its safe to take a bite lol.

canuckelkhunter
02-08-2021, 12:12 PM
Thanks for watching everyone. Its been fun making these with my kids. The competition also has my boys completely obsessed with ice fishing. They're begging me every few days to take them out again, they only play fishing video games and the only TV they watch is YouTube ice fishing videos. I've worked hard to share how much fun it can be but now I'm worried they're a little too obsessed [emoji1] Just like I was at their age.

Love the idea to pack up and sit in vehicle ready to drive away at dark. especially with the kids.

mlee
02-08-2021, 12:46 PM
I always drop tip ups before I set up and they are the last thing packed before the truck goes into drive. It does backfire sometimes too though lol.
This past summer I was bank fishing the NSR....sun was just starting to set and the truck was about 15 steps from where I was fishing. I literally had everything packed up except my rod and holder. I grabbed the rod to reel it in....felt a small tug and set the hook on a 50+" sturgeon. Had no pliers no phone nothing....luckily a couple was fishing about 100 yards away and came to help just as I got the fish close to shore. They even snapped a couple pics for me and texted them over.

Talking moose
02-08-2021, 01:54 PM
This is very smart. I should consider doing this.

I just watched your new vid. The disappointment is real! Lol
You missed a good one. :(

Cigarguy
02-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Moral of the story. Start packing up about 30 minutes after arriving. At which point you will start to catch fish.

HuyFishin
02-08-2021, 02:24 PM
I just watched your new vid. The disappointment is real! Lol
You missed a good one. :(

Ahh thank you for watching!

Sometimes It gets disappointing knowing you lost a big one. Especially when you lose gear that is hooked on the fish. Don't care so much about the gear itself but just knowing there is a fish with hook and steel leader on its lip. He probably not shaking it off for a bit.

WayneChristie
02-08-2021, 02:48 PM
My kids learned a valuable ice fishing lesson the other day. Never reel your lines in until everything is packed up and you're ready to go. I've been telling them this for a few years now and they finally caught their first last minute fish right before we were going to drive away. My 9 year old caught his PB pike and biggest fish of any species ever. He got the shakes he was so excited.

Made a video if anyone's interested in watching.

https://youtu.be/z7lJa4hC2zs

looks like a great day! one of my favourite ways to spend time with the family . a lot of people including myself use the foam interlocking mats on the floor, it really helps keep feet warm and helps with slipping too.,