PDA

View Full Version : How To Find Perch???

Marty S
02-09-2021, 10:24 PM
So in big water, i know theres a ton of perch in the lake somewhere, but flat bottom featureless lake, large as in 1 square mile plus. How do i find the perch?

I never made a career of ice fishing, just kiyutes!

Marty S
02-09-2021, 10:32 PM
X

Isopod
02-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Either start punching transects and seeing if you can find some large ones, or look around the lake to see where most other fishers are set up and go join the crowds.

Drewski Canuck
02-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Open water perch can be frustrating when you try and figure out the pound per effort ratio.

Big lakes like Slave have some big perch, but there is lots of 30 - 40 FOW.

You will need a few guys with augers, and a camera sure helps. Try to get off of a structure like a break such as Cutbank, and start cutting holes. You will need to cut alot of holes until you find a general area with fish, then cut even more. 40 holes is very common.

You do not want to spend more than 5 minutes in a hole. No hit, move on. When you find active fish, you will get 1 -3 and the hole can go very dead for hours. That is why you keep moving. Sometimes a hole that went dead will have fish 1 hour later and produce another few fish.

With cameras, at least you will see if there is something there. Sounders are nice, but will not necessarily tell you if what is down there are actually perch, or whether they are any size.

Realise that the deeper the water, the harder it is for the perch to survive when released.

Drewski

HuyFishin
02-10-2021, 10:52 AM
If the weeds are green then they will be shallow. Since the weeds can be like an underwater buffet. Once they turn brown and it’s late season like now you can find them super deep. 25fow and deeper. Lots of hole hopping if you can.

I don’t like targeting them super deep this way I don’t catch a walleye in 35 fow and causing barotrauma ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty S
02-10-2021, 11:19 PM
I think I like kiyutes better

Mr. Twister
02-11-2021, 03:26 PM
If the weeds are green then they will be shallow. Since the weeds can be like an underwater buffet. Once they turn brown and it’s late season like now you can find them super deep. 25fow and deeper. Lots of hole hopping if you can.

I don’t like targeting them super deep this way I don’t catch a walleye in 35 fow and causing barotrauma ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's actually shallow perch and deep perch they don't often change there depth drastically in a lake like you are talking about. They will stay in a general depth most of the year.