PDA

View Full Version : Prussian Carps: Dip-nets need to be legalized

Marty S
02-09-2021, 10:35 PM
Theres about 400 billion of these dirty little fat fish in southern alberta, and theres a crew of folks thatd be itching to go scoop them and boil em up! Like en masse!

(Thats how they eat them ignorant things to get around the bones... boiled!!!)

So we need to get a dip net allowance in the law so people can kill these things the way it was meant to be

Anybody want to tackle it? Govt procedure wears me out, seems like death

pikeman06
02-10-2021, 09:19 AM
Coyote season over Marty? Electroshocking is the way to do it but that'll never happen either.

Drewski Canuck
02-10-2021, 12:07 PM
A "Salvage Fishery" could be opened by SRD for the spring. It would be pretty easy to administer on a lake by lake basis, but the question is who would want to do it if there is no market?

If you could get Champion Pet Foods at Legal to sign on you could take dump truck loads out of the southern reservoirs, and make it economic. Other than that, who would want to go through the trouble?

The Carp could make a good Organic Fertilizer base if ground up, or it could go to chicken and pig feed.

But otherwise, there needs to be some incentive to removing the Carp to get this done on a commercial basis.

Drewski

Penner
02-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Theres about 400 billion of these dirty little fat fish in southern alberta, and theres a crew of folks thatd be itching to go scoop them and boil em up! Like en masse!

(Thats how they eat them ignorant things to get around the bones... boiled!!!)

So we need to get a dip net allowance in the law so people can kill these things the way it was meant to be

Anybody want to tackle it? Govt procedure wears me out, seems like death

Allowing invasive species to be harvested for any type consumption by the general public likely contributes to them being illegally introduced in the first place.

Make it illegal to keep a invasive/illegally introduced species and the bucket brigade might just stop.

A commercial harvest as Drewksi suggest to try and control or eliminate the species different conversation.

Smoky buck
02-10-2021, 03:54 PM
Allowing invasive species to be harvested for any type consumption by the general public likely contributes to them being illegally introduced in the first place.

Make it illegal to keep a invasive/illegally introduced species and the bucket brigade might just stop.

A commercial harvest as Drewksi suggest to try and control or eliminate the species different conversation.

BC has been attempting the theory of making it illegal to fish for invasive species with bass and perch. So far it has had no effect on stopping the bucket brigade and both species continue to show up in new waters

The carp issue I am less familiar with but I thought most have been expanding their range through the canals

Penner
02-10-2021, 06:04 PM
BC has been attempting the theory of making it illegal to fish for invasive species with bass and perch. So far it has had no effect on stopping the bucket brigade and both species continue to show up in new waters

The carp issue I am less familiar with but I thought most have been expanding their range through the canals

Bass are not know to be great table fare by many folks but they are fun to catch.

Some folks regard Carp as delicacy. Some could say the same for Perch.

I’m not sure what the silver bullet might be but enabling folks to fish and harvest invasive species isn’t the answer. Deterring it can’t hurt.

I’d rather be outdoors
02-10-2021, 06:17 PM
They’d be great fertilizer for the trees & garden. Can still get em with a rod & reel, just takes longer and probably won’t make a dent in the #’s.

Smoky buck
02-10-2021, 06:29 PM
Bass are not know to be great table fare by many folks but they are fun to catch.

Some folks regard Carp as delicacy. Some could say the same for Perch.

I’m not sure what the silver bullet might be but enabling folks to fish and harvest invasive species isn’t the answer. Deterring it can’t hurt.

A lot of people eat bass in North America and far more popular then carp as a food fish here. Carp are popular with some cultures but low on the list in Canada.

I watched the attempts to remove and limit the spread of invasive’s from netting, electro shock, liberal limits, and fishing bans none worked. Education is the only answer and it starts with kids. In my opinion kids and young adults are often the most common people to move fish often with no thoughts

Sadly carp are not going away and fishing them or not won’t change that. Once invasive fish go beyond waters that are a closed system with the option of poison they are there to stay

I don’t have an answer to the Alberta carp problem but fishing regs are not the answer

thumper
02-10-2021, 09:14 PM
A recent study found that a very small percentage of Prussian carp eggs can survive going through the digestive system of mallard ducks, and remain viable. Prussian carp can produce tens of thousands of eggs annually, and there are millions of ducks ingesting fish eggs.

Scuds are known to 'hitch-hike' in the plumage of ducks and geese - easily moving between water bodies. It's not a stretch to postulate that the 'crayfish invasion' of southern Alberta may be caused by avian carriers!

So let's not be too quick to blame 'the bucket brigade' for introducing invasive species !

Marty S
02-10-2021, 11:17 PM
Many Oriental people would go ballistic over these otherwise seemingly garbage fish. We hate them, yes, (I also detest lake whitefish... yuck) but others like them

Sure electrofishthem, who wants to? Govt? aCA at sportsmen’s cost, let the Oriental folks that like boiling these things and making soups without bone problems that us commoners have cuz we just have to fillet and fry only.

People killing and utilizing these fish is better than nobody using the new “resource” tho garbage resource to us ignorant commoners.

We are looking at a future where every sport fish egg gets eaten by these carps???or don’t they do any damage?

Let the people who want them to be able to go out and scoop them by the bucketfuls... I mean truckloads.

Education... tell them where and when, there will be people, mind blowing numbers if the message gets out.

Smoky buck
02-11-2021, 07:20 AM
The electro fishing and netting I mentioned was done by fisheries in BC in attempts to eliminate bass in a number of areas. Not really an option for the average person. This program combined with promotion of fishing a species that is far less resistant than carp has been a complete fail

There is a ton of orientals in the lower mainland where bass have become an issue and they will target them more than the common carp in the area keeping buckets full but it has not eradicated the bass. Many do love fish and do target most species available. I have Asian friends who eat fish I would never and it goes well beyond soups

Personally I am in complete support of people utilizing the carp in Alberta and promoting options for them to do so. No personal interest in eating them myself but I think they might as well be use since they are here now.

The reality of it though it won’t put an end to carp and this can be seen by studying the many fails to remove invasive fish

walking buffalo
02-11-2021, 12:11 PM
Marty,

Have a look at the fishing regulations.

Using a dip net to collect carp is perfectly legal.
Even minnow traps and sein nets are good to go.
Just follow the regulations.

No different than the rules for catching crayfish with a dip net, minnow trap or a sein net.

goku88
02-11-2021, 04:06 PM
Many Oriental people would go ballistic over these otherwise seemingly garbage fish. We hate them, yes, (I also detest lake whitefish... yuck) but others like them

Sure electrofishthem, who wants to? Govt? aCA at sportsmen’s cost, let the Oriental folks that like boiling these things and making soups without bone problems that us commoners have cuz we just have to fillet and fry only.

People killing and utilizing these fish is better than nobody using the new “resource” tho garbage resource to us ignorant commoners.

We are looking at a future where every sport fish egg gets eaten by these carps???or don’t they do any damage?

Let the people who want them to be able to go out and scoop them by the bucketfuls... I mean truckloads.

Education... tell them where and when, there will be people, mind blowing numbers if the message gets out.

really dude oriental? im one i dont like them,fun to catch. what about russians and europeans they like them too. there are some videos brittish like catching them too. few bad apples doesnt make all bad. i find the more knowledge a fisherman has the less they harvest/steal. i like taking new fisherman out shows them the ethics they will appreciate nature

oldjeda
02-13-2021, 08:59 AM
I’m in the Lethbridge area and would like to get back into fishing. Problem is no one in our household population of 9 will eat fish unless it’s canned or pickled. I used to supply my parents with my catch of the day but they’re in a care facility now. Maybe I can get back into it and help get rid of some of this invasive species at the same time. Any hints on locations around Lethbridge and the best bait/tackle combinations? :thinking-006:

Thanks all

WayneChristie
02-13-2021, 09:20 AM
I’m in the Lethbridge area and would like to get back into fishing. Problem is no one in our household population of 9 will eat fish unless it’s canned or pickled. I used to supply my parents with my catch of the day but they’re in a care facility now. Maybe I can get back into it and help get rid of some of this invasive species at the same time. Any hints on locations around Lethbridge and the best bait/tackle combinations? :thinking-006:

Thanks all

I was using light line with a bottom weight and a snelled hook up a foot or so off bottom and a piece of worm on a small 10-12 size hook . Pretty much any calm water and also the river has them now. I bet your turtles share the pond with them too :sign0176:

Kings
02-13-2021, 11:21 AM
I have an idea for reducing the number of Prussian carps: Start a thread like "Prussian carps location in AB" and those willing to share the locations let them. Speading the word through the forum for the locations of water bodies may create some impact on the numbers. I myself will go and have fun catching them and may be other's too.
I'm not sure this will work, but a simple suggestion.
Cheers

calgarychef
02-13-2021, 11:28 AM
I have an idea for reducing the number of Prussian carps: Start a thread like "Prussian carps location in AB" and those willing to share the locations let them. Speading the word through the forum for the locations of water bodies may create some impact on the numbers. I myself will go and have fun catching them and may be other's too.
Cheers

It’s a great idea... and I’d include information on how to fish them and even how to bowfish for them. I’ve bowfished carp in Montana and it was lots of fun.

goku88
02-13-2021, 10:47 PM
It’s a great idea... and I’d include information on how to fish them and even how to bowfish for them. I’ve bowfished carp in Montana and it was lots of fun.https://youtu.be/tmuSijePqpA
i wanted to go but too cold. this coming week, hell yeah. is it illegal to leave carp for birds to eat

Sundancefisher
02-13-2021, 11:57 PM
A recent study found that a very small percentage of Prussian carp eggs can survive going through the digestive system of mallard ducks, and remain viable. Prussian carp can produce tens of thousands of eggs annually, and there are millions of ducks ingesting fish eggs.

Scuds are known to 'hitch-hike' in the plumage of ducks and geese - easily moving between water bodies. It's not a stretch to postulate that the 'crayfish invasion' of southern Alberta may be caused by avian carriers!

So let's not be too quick to blame 'the bucket brigade' for introducing invasive species !

I read that study. It was pretty bogus. They force fed massive quantities of eggs. Absolutely not natural. People are moving. They are moving through tributaries. People are using live ones as bait.

Crayfish have been around for a million years...only watershed in Alberta was the Battle. Then people moved out west. Still crayfish stayed in the battle system. Then more recently started moving around Alberta. Again...people. Not birds.

People have to see the facts. Idiots are doing it. How to stop them is anyone’s guess. If you know anyone selling live minnows or moving fish around. Report them to report a poacher. Before all fishing in Alberta is ruined.

oldjeda
02-14-2021, 07:22 AM
Cheers
I’d definitely be interested in a Prussian Carp thread dedicated to locations and best gear/bait combos. Got 4 grandkids living with me that might get some fun out of it.

Sundancefisher
02-14-2021, 08:36 AM
I’d definitely be interested in a Prussian Carp thread dedicated to locations and best gear/bait combos. Got 4 grandkids living with me that might get some fun out of it.

They are in Nosehill Creek. See cormorants there all the time. Try below Harvest Hills.

Lornce
02-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Last summer I took 7 in a row with my fly rod in frog water below the Zoo. Small Hares Ear nymph was the ticket.

Pioneer2
02-14-2021, 09:01 AM
I read that study. It was pretty bogus. They force fed massive quantities of eggs. Absolutely not natural. People are moving. They are moving through tributaries. People are using live ones as bait.

Crayfish have been around for a million years...only watershed in Alberta was the Battle. Then people moved out west. Still crayfish stayed in the battle system. Then more recently started moving around Alberta. Again...people. Not birds.

People have to see the facts. Idiots are doing it. How to stop them is anyone’s guess. If you know anyone selling live minnows or moving fish around. Report them to report a poacher. Before all fishing in Alberta is ruined.

Crayfish are in the Chain Lakes east of Lacombe /Magee to be specific.

Pioneer2
02-14-2021, 09:04 AM

Thanks all

The Japanese Gardens pond in Lethbridge has carp.

Andrzej
02-14-2021, 09:14 AM

Try this one

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/27/15397

WayneChristie
02-14-2021, 12:41 PM
The Japanese Gardens pond in Lethbridge has carp.

Different variety of carp those are grass carp and not legal to catch. I wouldnt be surprised if Prussians are also in there too though so just be able to tell them apart. I wonder if the Medicine Hat college ponds have prussians now that wouldnt surprise me.

Travco1
02-14-2021, 03:00 PM
Well a buddy of mine dug a pond on his property . Filled it with well water .
two years later theres small fish in it . He has no idea how that happend . Talked to a enviroment guy and he said fish eggs get stuck to birds feathers and transplant that way .