PDA

View Full Version : ..

graybeard
02-10-2021, 09:14 AM
I like others, simply just guessed at the rate of freezing by talking to others and drilling holes. I didn't have the means to calculate the rate of freezing. UNTIL NOW.

I am thinking that this last cold spell would add at least 2"-3" of fresh ice?

https://www.columbiatribune.com/article/20160203/lifestyle/302039958

If the cold air stays in place, the ice will grow thicker and thicker. But that top layer of ice insulates the heat from the bottom of the lake, so it is not a fast process.

Scientists have developed a formula for calculating how fast ice will freeze on a lake. Here’s how:

1. Calculate the average temperature of the day by adding low temperature and high temperature and dividing by 2. Use degrees Fahrenheit. Now subtract that average from 32 degrees, the temperature at which water freezes. You have now just calculated what they call “freezing degree days.”

Example: If the low temperature today was 24 degrees and the high was 30 degrees, the average temperature of the day was 27 degrees. Subtract that from 32, and you get 5 freezing degree days for this day.

2. Based on studies, once a thin layer of ice film forms on a lake, it will add 1 inch of ice for every 15 freezing degree days in a 24 hour period.

Example: If we had a day with 5 freezing degree days, you would use the formula 5/15 = .33. On this day you would add .33 inches of ice, or 1/3 of an inch. But remember, this is after the first layer of ice forms.

This shows how long it can take a lake to freeze, even after a cold day.

Be safe.....

pinelakeperch
02-10-2021, 09:49 AM
I like others, simply just guessed at the rate of freezing by talking to others and drilling holes. I didn't have the means to calculate the rate of freezing. UNTIL NOW.

I am thinking that this last cold spell would add at least 2"-3" of fresh ice?

https://www.columbiatribune.com/article/20160203/lifestyle/302039958

If the cold air stays in place, the ice will grow thicker and thicker. But that top layer of ice insulates the heat from the bottom of the lake, so it is not a fast process.

Scientists have developed a formula for calculating how fast ice will freeze on a lake. Here’s how:

1. Calculate the average temperature of the day by adding low temperature and high temperature and dividing by 2. Use degrees Fahrenheit. Now subtract that average from 32 degrees, the temperature at which water freezes. You have now just calculated what they call “freezing degree days.”

Example: If the low temperature today was 24 degrees and the high was 30 degrees, the average temperature of the day was 27 degrees. Subtract that from 32, and you get 5 freezing degree days for this day.

2. Based on studies, once a thin layer of ice film forms on a lake, it will add 1 inch of ice for every 15 freezing degree days in a 24 hour period.

Example: If we had a day with 5 freezing degree days, you would use the formula 5/15 = .33. On this day you would add .33 inches of ice, or 1/3 of an inch. But remember, this is after the first layer of ice forms.

This shows how long it can take a lake to freeze, even after a cold day.

Be safe.....

With highs in the high -20s and lows in the high -30s, it looks like we'll be adding over an inch and a half per day.

Talking moose
02-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Depends on the waterbody. Saline lvls, ph, etc. But that should work for most decent size lakes I’m sure. Well, maybe those only affect ice quality not quantity. Not sure tbh.

Frank_NK28
02-10-2021, 10:23 AM
Years ago when I use to help out a friend that had an ice fishing operation on Lake Ni****ing we kept records and when the temp dipped below -20C it would make 1" of ice overnight early on. As the ice thickened to about 20" it was less. After about 24" it really slowed but it would still add ice.
The cold snap a couple weeks ago added anywhere from 8"-10" in 6 days on a lake I had been fishing regularily. I havent't been out since this recent cold snap but I anticipate this is really adding ice. I purchased an extension for my auger. I'd hate to get out next time and find I couldn't cut all the way through. With little snow cover on the lakes I'm frequenting I'm sure the ice will be quite thick next outing by the time this cold snap breaks.

CNP
02-10-2021, 10:48 AM
Years ago when I use to help out a friend that had an ice fishing operation on Lake Ni****ing we kept records and when the temp dipped below -20C it would make 1" of ice overnight early on. As the ice thickened to about 20" it was less. After about 24" it really slowed but it would still add ice.
The cold snap a couple weeks ago added anywhere from 8"-10" in 6 days on a lake I had been fishing regularily. I havent't been out since this recent cold snap but I anticipate this is really adding ice. I purchased an extension for my auger. I'd hate to get out next time and find I couldn't cut all the way through. With little snow cover on the lakes I'm frequenting I'm sure the ice will be quite thick next outing by the time this cold snap breaks.

Lake Ni****ing. Profanity filter working overtime lol, had to try it for myself.

Lake N i p i s s i n g.

I last fished Ni****ing out of North Bay 30 years ago

Frank_NK28
02-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Lake Ni****ing. Profanity filter working overtime lol, had to try it for myself.

Lake N i p i s s i n g.

I last fished Ni****ing out of North Bay 30 years ago

Last time I fished it was 2012....I miss fishing it.

Habfan
02-12-2021, 04:40 PM
With highs in the high -20s and lows in the high -30s, it looks like we'll be adding over an inch and a half per day.

But are you using Celsius. -30c is -22f. Which would be under an inch a day.

saskbooknut
02-12-2021, 05:29 PM
Significant snow cover makes this calculation difficult, to near impossible. Overflow events also mess up the calculation.
You really need to know the specific lake, and it's structure.