PDA

View Full Version : Insulated tent question

RACKER
02-14-2021, 07:49 PM
I was wondering in this cold weather if the insulated tents ice up or develop a frost layer with a heater on high. I’m sick of mine frosting up and then raining on me. I run a big buddy heater with a fan hooked on the roof. I always leave a vent open as well. Looking for feedback on how well your certain brand performs in the cold.

Ynot
02-14-2021, 08:28 PM
I have an Otter insulated tent and also use the Buddy heater, always noticed lots of moisture on the windows and ceiling so you're not alone! I don't think we can avoid this issue.

Moo Snukkle
02-14-2021, 08:37 PM
No condensation problems in an Otter Lodge. Not saying there is NO moisture there, but it’ll never rain on you. I do set it up in my heated garage after every outing though, so mould doesn’t develop between the layers.

Yukongold
02-14-2021, 08:40 PM
I was wondering in this cold weather if the insulated tents ice up or develop a frost layer with a heater on high. I’m sick of mine frosting up and then raining on me. I run a big buddy heater with a fan hooked on the roof. I always leave a vent open as well. Looking for feedback on how well your certain brand performs in the cold.

I had wall tents for years until I discovered the Arctic Oven and have been using them for the past 10 years. The main fabric of the tent is a material they call " vapex" which is a heavy perferated material. They advertize this tent as the " no condensation" tent and they are correct. There is a nylon fly which goes over everything which also makes the double wall. They put a very good stove ring in both the tent and fly and you have know what diameter of pipe you want to use before you order the tent. These are warm tents which use very little wood even at -30. Like everything else the prices have gone up considerably in the past years and its in Yankee dollars so its an ouch. I would never even consider going back to a wall tent. They are made in Fairbanks AK.

Hunter4ever12
02-14-2021, 08:52 PM
I have two insulated otter tents,one flip over and one pop up and as moo snukkle said there’s moisture in there from the heaters but I haven’t been rained on ever in either one. Best tents I have ever owned!

SNAPFisher
02-14-2021, 10:19 PM
Yep, I have the Otter Cabin Pro. No issues with moisture like what you are experiencing. That and I'm always in there without a jacket. Heater on low and not high. The windows and do get frosty but nothing on the fabric. Makes for a nice tear down and setup the next time without getting covered in frost.

AlbertanGP
02-14-2021, 10:36 PM
I've fished pre-sunrise to post-sunset Friday and Saturday the past two weeks in my Otter XT X-Over Resort...sometimes down to -45*C (last Saturday night). The only things that frosted up were the tub and the windows. The Thermal-Tec fabric is out of this world and never iced up or showed any significant condensation. However, whenever I packed up to leave there is instantly a covering of frost across all the fabric. I ran the Big Buddy on medium most of the time, and switched it to high to warm it back up briefly if I opened a door. Low would start to get cold, but I had my coat off and no toque on.

I haven't had my new Otter Vortex out below -30*C yet, but I imagine it would be the same. It's the best insulated hub I have had. Also no condensation issues.

Personally, I think if you are having condensation issues you don't have enough heater for the task. With enough heat, you should be able to drive the moisture out of the tent.

Flieguy
02-15-2021, 09:29 AM
for what it's worth my 6 man insulated Eskimo 6120i seems a lot better for dripping than my non-insulated 4 man eskimo

Mountain Guy
02-15-2021, 09:49 AM
Cabela's insulated 4 man. Condensation on the windows and hubs but very little on the fabric and no rain showers.
My old non-insulated would have the drip...

JohninAB
02-15-2021, 10:03 AM
Eskimo Eskape 2600, flip style, and Eskimo 949i, hub style, both insulated, and never an issue with being rained on in cold weather. Frost on windows and in cold weather (-35C) did have a bit of frost around the base. Do not use my Big Buddy on high as it gets too tropical inside. Run it 95% of the time on low.

thorne
02-15-2021, 10:18 AM
Also have an Eskimo insulated...the biggest trick is ventilation. Keep a vent open on each side and have some kind of fan to circulate the air. That will eliminate the moisture issue. You don't need much ventilation either. If you are using a fuel based heater then what it requires is enough to keep the tent vented...just have to add air flow and you will be fine.

780sjc
02-15-2021, 11:01 AM
I’ve only had a chance to use this tent 3 times now but all 3 were during this cold snap. Been in the tent since 8am and zero frost. Haven’t experienced any moisture on the ceiling or walls yet. Tiny bit on the hubs.

It’s an otter vortex resort. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210215/98619d094360623932d9ae3b77a34e06.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210215/685094334ddad583a7526248740fa8e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RACKER
02-15-2021, 06:25 PM
Thanks for all the input!Im stuck sitting in the old eskimo till i can afford a better insulated model but i can say this thing has held up great for as much as i set up and take down.Im the red 6 man tent out in the middle at Pigeon.Im sure alot of you have seen it out there.Everyone that responded seems to have good quality otter or eskimo well insulated models so that has helped me in researching what models to look at.Its always best to hear from people that are using these tents in true cold weather.Keep up the great info and best of luck to all out there.