PDA

View Full Version : Truck caps with roof top tents

johndeeretimex
02-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Well upgraded my Jeep wrangler to a 2021 Toyota Tacoma v6 double cab and a 5 foot box. The up grade was needed as the jeep was costing too much to keep and the Tacoma seamed a right fit. Now I have to decide what I would like to do for a sleep set up! Spent a good number of nights in the wrangler and looking forward to the bed of the truck or roof tent. Before you say why not the 6 foot bed, well was a 2 month wait for them and non in the area. So I have been looking into the leer caps for keeping the hunting gear out of the rain.I have been looking around on YouTube and other pages to see that some people have done this but never a long term review on it and how well they work up in the north? Wondering if anyone here has this set up or something alone these lines.

thanks

HalfBreed
02-23-2021, 02:55 PM
I would recommend 'expedition' or 'overland' in the search.

Bolete
02-23-2021, 03:08 PM
RSI Smartcap. Stainless steel. 770lb roof capacity.

KegRiver
02-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't a truck box tent make more sense?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81kL5geBkdL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

The roof on a double cab Tacoma is only 65 inches long while the box, with tailgate down is 80 inches.

Pickup roofs are not built to carry loads like a station wagon roof is so that could become an issue as well.

You also have to climb higher, which could be a problem if you have to go for a bathroom break in the middle of the night, when half asleep.

If you need the box for other things, maybe a box rail platform could provide a workable solution.

ehrgeiz
02-23-2021, 05:11 PM
Check out: https://gofastcampers.com/

Would be my pick if I was running a truck. Climb into your tent from your cap.

https://trailtacoma.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/GFC-Camper-3.jpg

creeky
02-23-2021, 06:53 PM
Pic is a 2015 Taco with a 114lb RTT and Leer Canopy which is rated for 100 (lbs).

There is a 1/4" air gap between the canopy roof and the interior and I have heard of more than a few guys having this give out over time. I would not do this again, instead look at a high poundage stainless canopy as Bolete recommends.

You have to break them down before you can roll down the road, on frosty mornings this can be extremely frustrating and at some point you have to open them up again to dry them out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windsweptcoast
02-23-2021, 07:19 PM
I have about the same size truck, a Colorado, and use a Napier backroads ground tent. Spacious and works great for two people and a dog. I don’t see the appeal of having to climb up and down a ladder to get in and out of a tent.

johndeeretimex
02-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Pic is a 2015 Taco with a 114lb RTT and Leer Canopy which is rated for 100 (lbs).

There is a 1/4" air gap between the canopy roof and the interior and I have heard of more than a few guys having this give out over time. I would not do this again, instead look at a high poundage stainless canopy as Bolete recommends.

You have to break them down before you can roll down the road, on frosty mornings this can be extremely frustrating and at some point you have to open them up again to dry them out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never thought of the next day with the frost on the tent and with not havig a tall enough garage you would have to take it inside every time!

creeky
02-25-2021, 09:23 AM
never thought of the next day with the frost on the tent and with not havig a tall enough garage you would have to take it inside every time!

You don't till it happens-frost caked aluminum ladder is real sketchy then packing it down off top of tires, running boards, tail gate. Its essentially teeter totter origami with frozen hands and shooting lights fast approaching.

As mentioned in other recent AO thread, a RTT aluminum trailer w kitchen, tools and secure/lockable is a top tier option.

One other real nice (simpler) option is a side out awning then sleep on a cot, leaving the rack for canoes, game carts etc.