PDA

View Full Version : Could this be good news for Keystone??

bobtodrick
02-23-2021, 11:44 AM
The following article point out how the Texas weather problems were much worsened because their renewable energy sources completely failed them...windmill farms that basically ceased to operate because they froze.
Yet coal and oil stepped up and were able to step up energy production...which still wasn't enough.
Maybe now they will realize the oil/coal isn't dead yet:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/02/22/renewable-energy-part-cause-texas-blackouts-column/6772677002/

birdman86
02-23-2021, 01:11 PM
Everything I heard was that the windmills would have worked, they just got scared and turned them off or something. Lots of comparisons to how Alberta and Scandinavian countries use windmills year round.

Personally I don't know anything about anything, but I'd be very surprised if this changes keystone. As long as Biden's in power he won't be reversing his first major policy decision.

Trapperdylan
02-23-2021, 01:13 PM
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-the-deep-freeze-caused-texas-to-lose-power/

"Wind generation fell 32% between 9 p.m. Sunday and 3 a.m. Monday local time, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration figures. Coal dropped 13%. And natural gas generation, the cornerstone of the Texas grid, plummeted 25% over that six-hour period.

By the time the sun rose over Texas around 7 a.m., energy demand on the state’s primary electric grid had surged to about 71 gigawatts. Texas power plants were only able to muster up roughly 51 GW of electricity, leaving millions without power and shivering in the cold"

Bushmaster
02-23-2021, 01:14 PM
Not likely, according to this.....

Seems saving the environment really is more important than keeping the power on.

Dept. of Energy Blocked Texas from Increasing Power Ahead of Killer Storm
An Emergency Order from the Biden administration’s Department of Energy shows Texas energy grid operator ERCOT was instructed to stay within green energy standards by purchasing energy from outside the state at a higher cost, throttling power output throughout the state ahead of a catastrophic polar vortex.
Going into effect Sunday, Feb. 14, Emergency Order 202-21-1 shows the Energy Dept. was aware of Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s statewide disaster declaration and that ERCOT was readying gas utilities in preparation for a demand surge.
The order shows Acting Energy Secretary David Huizenga did not waive environmental restrictions to allow for maximum energy output, instead ordering ERCOT to utilize all resources in order to stay within acceptable emissions standards – including purchasing energy from outside the state.
“ERCOT anticipates that this Order may result in exceedance of emissions of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, mercury, and carbon monoxide emissions, as well as wastewater release limits,” the order states. “To minimize adverse environmental impacts, this Order limits operation of dispatched units to the times and within the parameters determined by ERCOT for reliability purposes.”
Moreover, the order instructed an “incremental amount of restricted capacity” to be sold to ERCOT at “a price no lower than $1,500/MWh,” an increase of over 6,000 percent over February 2020 prices of $18.20.
On Wednesday, the Dallas Business Journal reported, “Electricity on the Texas grid has averaged about $1,137.33 per megawatt hour so far in February, up from $18.20 per megawatt hour in February 2020, according to data from the Electricity Reliability Council of Texas. That’s a jump of more than 6,000 percent.”
Days later, the Public Utility Commission of Texas set prices at $9,000/MWh.
The EO shows the Biden administration basically ordered ERCOT to throttle its energy output by forcing it to comply with environmental green energy standards, while knowing full well Texans could freeze to death in their homes with zero electricity as temperatures plunged into the single digits.
Read the order:

https://www.scribd.com/document/495189508/DOE-202-c-Emergency-Order-ERCOT-02-14-2021

Stinky Buffalo
02-23-2021, 01:34 PM
The EO shows the Biden administration basically ordered ERCOT to throttle its energy output by forcing it to comply with environmental green energy standards, while knowing full well Texans could freeze to death in their homes with zero electricity as temperatures plunged into the single digits.
Read the order:

https://www.scribd.com/document/495189508/DOE-202-c-Emergency-Order-ERCOT-02-14-2021

Looks like someone has blood on their hands.

Selkirk
02-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Sadly, Keystone is 'Dead' ... and there ain't Nothin' gonna change that. 😕

Time to move on . . .

Selkirk

ruffy71
02-23-2021, 01:59 PM
If anything this thread points to a total cluster $%@#! in Texas. Pro-renewable energy people are writing articles blaming coal and natural gas, others nuclear, still others are blaming windmills.

I can't help but smile a bit at the OP's article stating "Americans need coal for the coldest nights, and hottest days." When coal has had it's part to play in creating those days in the first place. Bit ironic.

In any case, the real culprit is that Texas did not prepare any of its infrastructure, not its windmills, not its power plants, not its houses, nothing, to withstand these temps. And now it appears nobody could get their crap together even once they know their power production was about to crap out.

A genuine cluster.....

Bigwoodsman
02-23-2021, 02:16 PM

Time to move on . . .

Selkirk

^^^ this unfortunately^^^^^

BW

MountainTi
02-23-2021, 02:17 PM

Time to move on . . .

Selkirk

Keystone is postponed, not dead. That’s just common sense

pgavey
02-23-2021, 03:36 PM
Ah don't worry boys, Mr Trump in 2 years will save us all.

Johnny G1
02-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Ah don't worry boys, Mr Trump in 2 years will save us all. We can just Hope that it happens.

EZM
02-23-2021, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately, this is sweet nothing. Not even a drop in the bucket and nothing more than a mere blip. we are in the same rowboat and this is a ripple.

MountainTi
02-23-2021, 03:50 PM
We are nothing more than resource reserves to the US. We have all the oil, nat. gas, water, lumber, minerals, ect......they will ever need. Here we sit watching over it for them. When they need it, they will take it.
Keystone will be completed one day. Big refineries down south need fed.

IronNoggin
03-18-2021, 05:05 PM

Time to move on . . .

21 states sue President Biden for revoking the Keystone XL pipeline permit

"A coalition of 21 states along with their attorneys general sued President Joe Biden on Wednesday, for signing an executive order to revoke the Keystone XL pipeline permit, a move they claimed should have been left for Congress to decide.

"Your decision will result in devastating damage to many of our states and local communities. Even those states outside the path of the Keystone XL pipeline—indeed all Americans—will suffer serious, detrimental consequences."

https://thepostmillennial.com/21-states-sue-president-biden-for-revoking-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-permit?fbclid=IwAR0JmZ19z4zdUy0a0BZJPiTiq3hSKBGxPB agJhPxPGIdlqicGvH_zm_t9Mk

I’d rather be outdoors
03-18-2021, 05:12 PM
21 states sue President Biden for revoking the Keystone XL pipeline permit

"A coalition of 21 states along with their attorneys general sued President Joe Biden on Wednesday, for signing an executive order to revoke the Keystone XL pipeline permit, a move they claimed should have been left for Congress to decide.

"Your decision will result in devastating damage to many of our states and local communities. Even those states outside the path of the Keystone XL pipeline—indeed all Americans—will suffer serious, detrimental consequences."

https://thepostmillennial.com/21-states-sue-president-biden-for-revoking-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-permit?fbclid=IwAR0JmZ19z4zdUy0a0BZJPiTiq3hSKBGxPB agJhPxPGIdlqicGvH_zm_t9Mk

About time

mac1983
03-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Sad thing is people in the USA want it more than we do. Many states sueing Biden as we speak. Hopefully the AB gov joins in.

I’d rather be outdoors
03-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Sad thing is people in the USA want it more than we do. Many states sueing Biden as we speak. Hopefully the AB gov joins in.

Makes a person wonder why Castro Jr. isn’t getting in on that action... sorry, couldn’t help myself.

hunterngather
03-18-2021, 05:25 PM
We are nothing more than resource reserves to the US. We have all the oil, nat. gas, water, lumber, minerals, ect......they will ever need. Here we sit watching over it for them. When they need it, they will take it.
Keystone will be completed one day. Big refineries down south need fed.

Speaking of resources,

I would add fresh water to that list. **** ever hits the fan world wide.

Canada will just have a bullseye on it.

MountainTi
03-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Speaking of resources,

I would add fresh water to that list. **** ever hits the fan world wide.

Canada will just have a bullseye on it.

You had me questioning myself for a minute there...but it is on the list. I didn't specify fresh which I should have

Big Grey Wolf
03-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Who the hell was Trump, was that the one term, twice impeached guy the stumbled his way through the whitehouse.

Grizzly Adams
03-19-2021, 10:46 AM
Unfortunately, it's all about ideology, not logic.

Grizz

MountainTi
03-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Who the hell was Trump, was that the one term, twice impeached guy the stumbled his way through the whitehouse.

He was the guy that gave the stamp of approval to the KXL. Don't let TDS get in the way of seeing what he actually did

fishead
03-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Let’s trade resources for vaccines. I mean we cannot seem to do anything on our own. Then we can let the US pillage the land for battery materials in the name of green energy.
Just kidding, but the way the Fed’s play ya never know.

Bushrat
03-19-2021, 01:12 PM
Canada is rapidly becoming nothing more than a giant resource storage facility for the rest of the world, mainly the US. They will force the harvest of them when they decide they need those resources.

raab
03-19-2021, 02:01 PM

Time to move on . . .

Selkirk

I was inclined to agree, but I talked to a few Americans and they're not happy with $3.40/gal for Diesel. Blamed it on Biden cancelling the pipeline. You also have 21 States that have filed a lawsuit against the President. Saying he doesnt have the authority to stop it and it must be passed through Congress.

hal53
03-19-2021, 02:37 PM
I was inclined to agree, but I talked to a few Americans and they're not happy with $3.40/gal for Diesel. Blamed it on Biden cancelling the pipeline. You also have 21 States that have filed a lawsuit against the President. Saying he doesnt have the authority to stop it and it must be passed through Congress.
He can sign an executive order for them to proceed, congress has nothing to do with it

raab
03-19-2021, 02:39 PM
He can sign an executive order for them to proceed, congress has nothing to do with it

I believe they said because it was international trade, and multi jurisdiction it fell under Congress not the President.

Edit: Article I read on the subject.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/21-states-file-lawsuit-against-biden-to-overturn-controversial-canceling-of-keystone-xl-pipeline