PDA

View Full Version : Crazy little adventure.

Bushleague
02-24-2021, 05:01 PM
I took the kids out fishing today and we were fortunate enough to come up with a few medium sized pike for a fish fry. Our 4 month old Shepard pup, went to go lick one of the pike, and it latched on to her tongue!

Very surprisingly the dog didnt freak out, just a few gentle tugs and some whining... and very fortunately the fish didnt thrash. After a few moments of holding my breath with no real idea what to do, the pike released her tongue in relatively good shape. Dogs do indeed have much better instincts than most humans.

Red Bullets
02-24-2021, 08:20 PM
Yikes. Lucky it wasn't a big pike that would have latched onto your pup's muzzle. I'd be watching your dog's tongue for a few days. A pike's saliva can cause infections.

Congrats on the fish. Nice to have a fresh pike supper.

liar
02-24-2021, 08:53 PM
yikes

Bushleague
02-25-2021, 08:03 AM
Yikes. Lucky it wasn't a big pike that would have latched onto your pup's muzzle. I'd be watching your dog's tongue for a few days. A pike's saliva can cause infections.

Congrats on the fish. Nice to have a fresh pike supper.

Lol, when we were kids we made the mistake of bringing a pretty big pike aboard the canoe. After it had done a fair bit of thrashing, upended the tackle box and flung the contents all over the place, it got a frim grip on my rubber boot and refused to let go. I was pretty glad I had not worn sandals that day!

Another good one was a small pike I brought on shore as a kid, with the intention of releasing. It clamped down on a fair sized sapling, and there it stayed as no amount of pulling could get it off.

Seen them bite all manner of crazy things, but a dog's tongue is a new one for sure!

thumper
02-25-2021, 08:27 AM
When my pointer was young, he got a little too close to fair sized snapping turtle. He very gingerly walked up to me on the beach, with a low whine, and a big turtle hanging from his upper lip ! Just walked him into the water, and as soon as the turtle felt the water, it let go swam off. Young Max was none the worse for wear.

My existing pup is 13 weeks old, and she likes to bite with those razor sharp puppy teeth. If I hold tightly to the fur right under her nose- along her lips, she stops biting and becomes perfectly still. With a couple affirm"NOs", she stops nipping - for a while!

I guess dogs have an instinct that tells them not to struggle or thrash when their tongues/mouths are caught!

58thecat
02-25-2021, 08:44 AM
awesome life lessons....ya learnt from the dog:sHa_sarcasticlol:

WayneChristie
02-25-2021, 09:34 AM
Lol, when we were kids we made the mistake of bringing a pretty big pike aboard the canoe. After it had done a fair bit of thrashing, upended the tackle box and flung the contents all over the place, it got a frim grip on my rubber boot and refused to let go. I was pretty glad I had not worn sandals that day!

Another good one was a small pike I brought on shore as a kid, with the intention of releasing. It clamped down on a fair sized sapling, and there it stayed as no amount of pulling could get it off.

Seen them bite all manner of crazy things, but a dog's tongue is a new one for sure!

I had one latch onto the toe of my boot then got teeth stuck in my cleats, had a hell of a time trying to get it off my foot! :scared0018:

Bushleague
02-25-2021, 11:49 AM
I had one latch onto the toe of my boot then got teeth stuck in my cleats, had a hell of a time trying to get it off my foot! :scared0018:

The absolute worst experience I had happen twice... while unhooking a pike from a multi hooked lure it flopped out of my hands. On the way down one of the hooks got stuck in my leg, with the flopping pike still firmly attached to the other hook.

Funny, for how stupid pike are supposed to be, once you stick a hook in them they have to be one of the most clever fish out there. They've got more tricks up their sleeves for throwing a hook, or just making you miserable, than any other species I've run across.

58thecat
02-25-2021, 12:10 PM
The absolute worst experience I had happen twice... while unhooking a pike from a multi hooked lure it flopped out of my hands. On the way down one of the hooks got stuck in my leg, with the flopping pike still firmly attached to the other hook.

Funny, for how stupid pike are supposed to be, once you stick a hook in them they have to be one of the most clever fish out there. They've got more tricks up their sleeves for throwing a hook, or just making you miserable, than any other species I've run across.

and they are the best eating tooooooo!!!!