PDA

View Full Version : Any tips or advice for spring bear?

EdmontonEli
02-25-2021, 08:55 PM
Hey guys.

Just would like to ask for some advice regarding spring bears. I've only done upland and deer hunting, but I've never done a spring bear hunt before.

Any good tips and advice for a newbie on spring bear hunting?

thx

Battle Rat
02-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Evenings are better than morning, but hunt both and nap mid day.
Spot and stalk newer (less than 3 year old) pipelines where food source is fresh and not smothered by old, long grass.
Around mid May(mothers day) is about right.
If you go too early there is not much for new leaves pr dandelions so not much action out in the open.
If you go to late the food source is everywhere so they get spread out more.

KegRiver
02-26-2021, 12:01 AM
How far are you willing to travel?

Serious question, we have a Bear problem.

wildwoods
02-26-2021, 07:37 AM
Bears are relatively easy to find. Google earth is your friend. Find large swaths of crown land and look for lots of pipelines you can spot and stalk. Drive around, spot bear, kill bear. It’s that simple.

We roll around in a side by side. Evenings are best but we do see bears all day long.

Grizzly Adams
02-26-2021, 08:56 AM
It's too early. :lol:

Grizz

Dick284
02-26-2021, 02:02 PM
Spot and spook, or baiting?

Either way make sure you have a reliable vehicle, good mudder tires, and 4x4 at a minimum. Spring weather means mud, so you best be prepared.

Red Bullets
02-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Bears like hanging around active beaver houses and dams in early spring too. Beaver dams are a good place to check for sign and maybe sit or start a stalk from.

EdmontonEli
03-01-2021, 02:25 PM
How far are you willing to travel?

Serious question, we have a Bear problem.

Unfortunately, 4 hours from Edmonton is the furthest I'll go for now. It might change depending on my work schedule

Spot and spook, or baiting?

Either way make sure you have a reliable vehicle, good mudder tires, and 4x4 at a minimum. Spring weather means mud, so you best be prepared.

I'll mostly be driving around, and walk some cut lines every now and then.

Thank you guys for the good advices!:)

wildwoods
03-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Unfortunately, 4 hours from Edmonton is the furthest I'll go for now. It might change depending on my work schedule

I wouldn’t waste time walking. Either drive around and spot and stalk or sit on a high vantage point and glass.

Gas or glass is your best chance for a bear.

ceadog
03-01-2021, 03:21 PM
Or float some rivers. They'll be fast and cold but it's still a great way to cover a lot of area.

st99
03-01-2021, 03:27 PM
I wouldn’t waste time walking. Either drive around and spot and stalk or sit on a high vantage point and glass.

x2

Don't waste your time walking, drive, they stand out from a good distance.

Grizzly Adams
03-01-2021, 04:41 PM

A lot of Northern Alberta that is not an option, that's one reason baiting is so popular.

Grizz

wildwoods
03-01-2021, 04:43 PM
A lot of Northern Alberta that is not an option, that's one reason baiting is so popular.

Grizz

I hunt exclusively northern Alberta and that is the best option if bating is not allowed. Heck I’ve seen 13 bears in one night wandering around northern Alberta lease roads. I’m sure guys have seen more. Might be more effective than bait in some cases.
Cutline? Check
Fresh greenery? Check
Early Bears all over it? Check

Smoky buck
03-01-2021, 04:56 PM
If you know a good bear is using a feeding area it is 100% worth walking. It is also worth while in areas with heavy sign. I have taken majority of my bears on foot spot & stalk. I prefer it but this is after locating my areas

Yes covering ground is great for locating bears and areas with lots of sign. Yes you can successfully road hunt bears but some learn to take off if they hear a truck with age

They are habitual to feeding areas until they feel harassed. I have on many occasions patterned bears. When the rut happens the boars will roam more though so end of May early June they are harder to pattern

smith88
03-01-2021, 05:40 PM
I would consider looking into an outiftter since it is highly unlikely the border will be open and you might be able to find a hunt on the cheap.

Grizzly Adams
03-01-2021, 06:16 PM
I would consider looking into an outiftter since it is highly unlikely the border will be open and you might be able to find a hunt on the cheap.

Heck I’ve seen 13 bears in one night wandering around northern Alberta lease roads. I’m sure guys have seen more.

It ain't that complicated. :lol:

Grizz:

TBark
03-01-2021, 06:20 PM
My target bear.

TBark

Somehunter
03-01-2021, 07:36 PM
My target bear.

TBark

That's a fatty !!!

morgan
03-01-2021, 07:57 PM

I agree totally, bears can be as cagey and aware as a whitetail. Even while baiting I’ve had them wind me in a tree stand and bolt.
Just cruise and glass, we had success like this not far north of Whitecourt last May. Bring a 4x4 though, and don’t forget decent tires, it’s an adventure!
Good luck out the, me and my boy will be cruising again this May.
We are out of Edmonton, so it’s not too far.

smith88
03-01-2021, 08:56 PM
Heck I’ve seen 13 bears in one night wandering around northern Alberta lease roads. I’m sure guys have seen more.

It ain't that complicated. :lol:

Grizz:

Your point being? I'm just making a suggestion. Thanks for the feedback though.

Ghenn96
03-02-2021, 03:44 PM

Red Earth Creek, 4 Hours North, You won't have an Issue, I work up there, go on the lease roads, i see 2-5 bears everyday.