PDA

View Full Version : Low and slow beef roast

Tungsten,
02-27-2021, 09:00 AM
I have a rib roast that I’d like to try on my bbq. A few weeks back I smokes my first brisket. I’d like to employ some of the techniques like low temp 180f ish.
Will this dry my roast right out?
The wrapping in towels and resting for 2 hours really did I nice job on the brisket. Again will this overcook and dry my roast out?
Thanks.

calgarychef
02-27-2021, 09:15 AM
I don’t think so, it’s already tender meat though so really long and low might not be necessary.

For nice roasts in the home oven I like 275-300 degrees. I’m not very experienced with that kind of cooking and smoking though so my opinion is worth what you paid for it ;).. my experience is put the roast in a $60k dollar oven and come back the next day. I’m always a bit leery of going too slow and having the meat go sour... I like it to come up to temp within a couple hours then sit and rest at holding temp- again totally off topic of what you’re really trying to find out.

Okotok
02-27-2021, 09:23 AM
We've been doing up to 3 lb or so roasts in the air fryer lately. Takes about half an hour. Incredibly good and tender. Top sirloin is all we've done but darned good!

Savage Bacon
02-27-2021, 09:26 AM
I don’t think so, it’s already tender meat though so really long and low might not be necessary.

For nice roasts in the home oven I like 275-300 degrees. I’m not very experienced with that kind of cooking and smoking though so my opinion is worth what you paid for it ;).. my experience is put the roast in a $60k dollar oven and come back the next day. I’m always a bit leery of going too slow and having the meat go sour... I like it to come up to temp within a couple hours then sit and rest at holding temp- again totally off topic of what you’re really trying to find out.

Did you pick that oven up at ikea by chance? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Tungsten,
02-27-2021, 09:31 AM
Normally I put my roasts on my rotisserie with the IR burner on high. 3 lb roast is done in an hour and some. Was thinking maybe do the same but on low and have my smoke packs on at the same time.
Or put the roast on one side and only have one burner on the other side. I have 4 burners. Maybe 140-150 f again have my smoke going.
My fear is drying the roast out. Not sure.
Perhaps I’m using the wrong cut of beef for this idea?

Savage Bacon
02-27-2021, 09:35 AM
Normally I put my roasts on my rotisserie with the IR burner on high. 3 lb roast is done in an hour and some. Was thinking maybe do the same but on low and have my smoke packs on at the same time.
Or put the roast on one side and only have one burner on the other side. I have 4 burners. Maybe 140-150 f again have my smoke going.
My fear is drying the roast out. Not sure.
Perhaps I’m using the wrong cut of beef for this idea?

I think that would give it a nice bark. I like a fall apart roast, but I also like the drier end pieces.

EZM
02-27-2021, 09:37 AM
I've done a few roasts on the BBQ.

On my BBQ (Nat gas Napoleon) I can run the 2 outside burners, and leave the middle one off - so I end up with indirect heat to "oven bake" it kind of thing.

Basically the way I do it, I turn the BBQ on high and put the roast on to sear on all sides, then turn off the middle burner and turn the 2 outside burners as low as they go - the lowest it goes is maybe 220-240.

Sometimes I put some wood chips in there for a blast or two which gives it a "Texas BBQ" type flavor.

I have only used fattier marbled cuts like prime rib on there so i don't know if this would be OK to use on leaner cuts, but it turns out quite nice this way.

Depending on the size of the roast, this could be on for 6 hours.

You get something half way between a oven roast and smoked brisket - best of both worlds, nice caramelized smoky salty bark and tender juicy beefy flavor on the inside.

Ken07AOVette
02-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Wrap it tight in tinfoil and add some apple juice or beef broth and it will stay moist I think. That's what I do with briskets

257Shooter
02-27-2021, 10:45 AM
I have a rib roast that I’d like to try on my bbq. A few weeks back I smokes my first brisket. I’d like to employ some of the techniques like low temp 180f ish.
Will this dry my roast right out?
The wrapping in towels and resting for 2 hours really did I nice job on the brisket. Again will this overcook and dry my roast out?
Thanks.

I was never a fan of roasts since my mother cooked the life out of them when I was a kid. Dried out and tough like a boot sole.
Slow and low works great! Thats how the pellet grills do such a great job.

I've cooked 2 cheap pot roasts on my grill lately.
6 hours at 165-180, double wrapped them in foil and back on for another 2-3 hours, wrap in a towel and rested in the oven for an hour. I should have used a thermometer to check internal temp but didn't bother.
They were both moist and delicious :sHa_shakeshout:

MeadowMark
02-27-2021, 11:16 AM
In my experience, low and slow is the method to render inexpensive (is there such a thing these days?) beef into something you can eat without sharpening your dentures. Your Rib Roast shouldn't need this process, especially if it is AAA/21 Day Aged. I would think this might be an expensive experiment.

How big is the Roast, 2, 3 ribs..?

I would feel confident with a variation of the 3-2-1 Rib Method
Depending on Roast Size, I would extend the 3 hours on the Smoke at 180 to 4 or 5 hours. Wrap tightly in Foil and put it in a 275 oven for 2 hours.

Finish in a hot oven or under the Broiler for Caramel/Color/Flavor. Judge the time here based on starting color and roast feel.

I've had larger 3 Rib roasts on the Pellet Grill for 6 hours at 180 without any drying out, Orient on the grill Cap Side up and start peeking at the 4 hour mark every hour. You might want to place a foil tray full of Apple Juice/Apple Cider Vinegar and Water under the roast to increase the Humidity. The 180 temp won't create much in the way of pan juices but you'll catch what there is....

Best of Luck with your Experiment; learning something is Always a Good Thing!

Jims83cj5
02-27-2021, 11:20 AM
The low and slow process is used to break down the collegians and connective tissues in meat. A rib roast has very few if any of either of those, I think you will just dry it out. Cook as per normal, if you want to use a smoker that’s fine but lift the temp up over 300 at least, my thoughts

Arty
02-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Tried a few brisket roasts over the last couple of months. Not sure why, maybe just bored and curious.

Anyway, did them in a typical electric oven at about 220 deg. Covered them with a paprika spice mix found on the Internet. Started out with small pieces, but quickly found out that keeping it all in one large piece reduces drying it out.

The end result was that a long, low-temp roast made them OK, but just a little dry, and not particularly tender but acceptable. Lots of work and cooking time to convert a relatively cheap piece of meat into something edible. And a good way to hike up your electricity bill.

Normally I'd fry or grill a decent cut of beef to med rare and avoid roasting it altogether. Poultry and pork are good roasting candidates though. Once I get the Kamado out for the summer, I might try brisket again to see what happens.

Dean2
02-27-2021, 11:25 AM
If you want to try a REALLY tender version, cook it a 225 to start. Finish it at 375 for the last browning part. I always cooked ours hot and fast, tried this for the first time 2 years ago and now cook all roasts this way. Takes quite a long time to cook a roast this way but you get even Med Rare or Med all the way through, that is tender and moist, a nicely browned finish and the fat has a chance to render into the meat.

Takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on low. 225, for a 6 lb roast, not on convection, to get to 100 F, and another 1/2-3/4 375 to get internal to 130*140. Take the roast out of the oven or BBQ while you wait for it to go to 375. If you want 120 F cook on high at 400 F for a shorter time. The high is more to brown and finish. Main cook is the 225.

You can add some wood chips if you like the smoke flavour, I just put some lump charcoal in a pan on the Gas Q because we like the more subtle flavour versus actual Mesquite of Oak chips for the smoke.

pikergolf
02-27-2021, 12:26 PM
If you want to try a REALLY tender version, cook it a 225 to start. Finish it at 375 for the last browning part. I always cooked ours hot and fast, tried this for the first time 2 years ago and now cook all roasts this way. Takes quite a long time to cook a roast this way but you get even Med Rare or Med all the way through, that is tender and moist, a nicely browned finish and the fat has a chance to render into the meat.

Takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on low. 225, for a 6 lb roast, not on convection, to get to 100 F, and another 1/2-3/4 375 to get internal to 130*140. Take the roast out of the oven or BBQ while you wait for it to go to 375. If you want 120 F cook on high at 400 F for a shorter time. The high is more to brown and finish. Main cook is the 225.

You can add some wood chips if you like the smoke flavour, I just put some lump charcoal in a pan on the Gas Q because we like the more subtle flavour versus actual Mesquite of Oak chips for the smoke.

This!
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts

Etownpaul
02-27-2021, 12:42 PM
I like to smoke a rib roast on my smoker @ 225°F until it hits an internal temp of 125-130 °. Then I take it off, crank all the vents full open (charcoal kamado smoker) and sear it at 700° until it’s nicely caramelized. Perfect Medium rare with a thick brown crust on the outside.

The only problem is now every holiday meal is at my house cuz everyone loves my prime rib roasts.

Tungsten,
02-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Thanks all,shes 3.5 lbs.Ill do it tomorrow.Rubbing it now:sHa_shakeshout:

257Shooter
02-27-2021, 02:00 PM
Thanks all,shes 3.5 lbs.Ill do it tomorrow.Rubbing it now:sHa_shakeshout:

Be gentle....:scared0018:

PFKGSP
02-27-2021, 02:23 PM
I've done lots of different cuts on the bbq. I have tried all different methods.

Sear first, reverse sear at the end, over coals, add smoke tube. They all work. If your worried about drying it out put a pan of water in the bbq with it if its gas. But mostly don't worry about it. Keep the temp 225 or less. When you cook like this you need a meat thermometer and go by internal temp. don't go by time or looks.
Don't go over 135-140 IT max when its on the heat. If you want really rare than 130 is a better number. Take it off and wrap in foil and let rest for a good 20 minutes at least. Its a hard thing to do to just sit there and not be tempted to carve but just trust it.

If you want to add the smoke tube then you pretty much have to reverse sear because the smoke won't do much if you sear first.

Also, season ahead of time and let roast come up to room temp before starting the cook. And as someone else said use the outside burners and keep your roast in the middle so the heat is indirect.

We need pictures when your done!

Dean2
02-27-2021, 02:28 PM
This!
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts

Pike

That is an excellent article. It dispels many of the long held beliefs about cooking beef, and it is amazing just how many of them are completely wrong. Everyone that likes to cook should read and try what he suggests. I ended up doing it through trial and error, would have been way easier if I had read this article to start with.

Ken07AOVette
02-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Instant pots do amazing things with beef. Brown first then let the instant pot do its thing. Let it release steam on it's own, some of the best roasts I have had were done this way.

glen moa
02-27-2021, 03:44 PM
It’s an art.
Quality beef. Easy BBQ and done.
My quest to turn cheap sole of shoe beef into edible. Sousvide because it controls the temp the best. Then finish on bbq.

calgarychef
02-27-2021, 06:05 PM
Did you pick that oven up at ikea by chance? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lmao... I’m not sure they sell them
Rational ovens... they’re the bomb. It’s amazing what heat and steam can do at the same time.

204ruger
02-27-2021, 06:39 PM
Just did one tonight. 400 degrees 3 hrs pull the roast out when it hits 170 inside, mouth watering juicy. The beef we get has a good amount of marble so that makes a difference too.

Tungsten,
02-27-2021, 07:05 PM
170? We’re talking beef here not pork.

pavilion
02-27-2021, 10:09 PM
Have yet to do a rib roast on the BBQ, have had them and enjoyed them but all mine get cooked in the oven, a 2kg one goes in a 500 degree oven for about 25 minutes, then oven gets turned off and left with the door closed for two hours, have yet to have one that is anything but perfect, cook time varies by size, the recipe/prep came from a website called Ricardo's, I do my own spices but use his cook times

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Lefty-Canuck
02-28-2021, 08:06 AM

Agree... 145-150 tops IMHO, then cover let it rest and finish off.

LC

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 08:11 AM
Have yet to do a rib roast on the BBQ, have had them and enjoyed them but all mine get cooked in the oven, a 2kg one goes in a 500 degree oven for about 25 minutes, then oven gets turned off and left with the door closed for two hours, have yet to have one that is anything but perfect, cook time varies by size, the recipe/prep came from a website called Ricardo's, I do my own spices but use his cook times

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ive done this before,smoke detectors going off constantly lol.I found the meat was too cold sitting that long.Tasted great though.

-JR-
02-28-2021, 08:29 AM
I have done it many times also in an oven at around 200 . Doing it in your BBQ might be very tricky as it does not regulate the Temp like an oven does .

Have you tried doing a roast in the oven called ..shut the door method.
You have to google it.
https://feastandfarm.com/how-to-cook-perfect-prime-rib/

You place roast in the oven like at 500 degree or more for like 15 mins or so .
This blackens the outside to keep the juices in.
Then you shut off the oven .
Keeping the door shut .
Then let the roast sit in the oven for like 3-4 hrs .
Its like a Chicago Style steak.

This method might work in your BBQ if you could insulate your BBQ in the summer. But why try if you have an oven in the house .

204ruger
02-28-2021, 08:38 AM

Yup 170 for here. When u have a family that likes there meat well done I compromise by taking it out as soon as it hit 165-170 then it’s well done but not too well done and very nice and juicy. Even if it’s 165-170 closer to outside rather than the middle my wife is happy. I’m also talking farm raised beef with good marble not store bought.

tbiddy
02-28-2021, 09:01 AM

I think the saying is:

Rare: 125
Medium Rare: 135
Medium: 145
Medium Well: 150
Well Done: Order Chicken

Dean2
02-28-2021, 09:06 AM
Yup 170 for here. When u have a family that likes there meat well done I compromise by taking it out as soon as it hit 165-170 then it’s well done but not too well done and very nice and juicy. Even if it’s 165-170 closer to outside rather than the middle my wife is happy. I’m also talking farm raised beef with good marble not store bought.

YUK!!! I feel for you, no way I could eat beef cooked to even 150 let alone 170. If I had someone who needed meat that well done I would either cook two roasts or take a couple of slices and finish them in a frying pan for them.

204ruger
02-28-2021, 10:51 AM
YUK!!! I feel for you, no way I could eat beef cooked to even 150 let alone 170. If I had someone who needed meat that well done I would either cook two roasts or take a couple of slices and finish them in a frying pan for them.

Haha well if it’s pulled out at just the right time as soon as it hits temp it’s really not that bad for a nice roast. If I do the 165-70 that she wants to see with a store bought roast it’s so dry it’s terrible or even grass fed for that matter much too lean.

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 02:00 PM
So let’s start the timer. Both outside burners on low. I’ll add smoke in a little while. I find the smoke will be too much if I do it now. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210228/f4179aa128c6282a9de5c284ab008a12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 04:15 PM
So 2 hours in. Bbq gauge says 210. IR thermometer says 160 on the roast.
Added smoke tube.
Question which way does the grain run on these rib roasts? The pic I posted is bone up.
Thanks.

Dean2
02-28-2021, 04:31 PM
If the temp on the outside of the roast is 160, you need to turn the bbq up a bit. You want 210 to 225 on the surface of the meat. You can also check the temp of the lid to verify the BBQ thermometer. The BBQ lid thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. As far as grain cut the roast like you are trying to cut between the rib bones and you will be cross grain.

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 04:52 PM
If the temp on the outside of the roast is 160, you need to turn the bbq up a bit. You want 210 to 225 on the surface of the meat. You can also check the temp of the lid to verify the BBQ thermometer. The BBQ lid thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. As far as grain cut the roast like you are trying to cut between the rib bones and you will be cross grain.

Ok thanks. Just went 3 hrs and internal temp is 100f.

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 05:47 PM
3 hrs 50 min. Internal temp 120.
Going to sear it so not sure but will wait another Whiskey yeah.

Dean2
02-28-2021, 06:00 PM
3 hrs 50 min. Internal temp 120.
Going to sear it so not sure but will wait another Whiskey yeah.

Crank bbq to max, sear quickly. Only let it sit 5 to 10 minutes before carving as the roast will continue to cook even out of the heat. If you sit it at 130 it will be 140 internal in 10 minutes. Any longer it would be over done.

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Seared. Started at 125. 139 now. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210301/903cc57b7c04046eef438165e98fb596.jpg

Dean2
02-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Outside looks great. Where are the pictures of it being carved?😁

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Had to eat first. Wow. Very good.
So cooked 4 :15 both outer burners on low. then sear. Internal temp was 122-125 then sear. After sear 139 after 15 min rest 142 temp. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210301/1371ff4dbd80bf133b245dc5032ae353.jpg
I went straight for the bone. Cleaned it off and fed my kid lol. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210301/bef14b26135f2c639723fce9a8296336.jpg

Tungsten,
02-28-2021, 07:26 PM
Crank bbq to max, sear quickly. Only let it sit 5 to 10 minutes before carving as the roast will continue to cook even out of the heat. If you sit it at 130 it will be 140 internal in 10 minutes. Any longer it would be over done.

You were bang on! Thanks.

Dean2
02-28-2021, 08:01 PM
Turned out great. Slow makes them very juicy and tender. Suggestion for next time, rotate the roast 90 about 2 hours in then 180 about 3 hours in, you will avoid the well done outer piece furthest from the bone. Using the flat ends of the roast as part of the rotation also helps.

tri777
02-28-2021, 08:04 PM
Loved the Pooch pic Tungsten, thanks for throwing that in there!
Just boring ol stewing cubes cooked on top the stove for me today, lol.

PFKGSP
02-28-2021, 11:23 PM
Nice job Tungsten, looks perfect!

257Shooter
03-01-2021, 07:06 AM
That is a great looking roast. For the first time doing it you were bang on :happy0180: Now the hardest part is repeating the accomplishment!

Tungsten,
03-01-2021, 07:43 AM
That is a great looking roast. For the first time doing it you were bang on :happy0180: Now the hardest part is repeating the accomplishment!

Being a rib roast made it easy I think.Will try something a bit cheaper next time.

What is a good candidate for "low and slow"?

257Shooter
03-01-2021, 11:11 AM
Being a rib roast made it easy I think.Will try something a bit cheaper next time.

What is a good candidate for "low and slow"?

I used a 2 pack of Costco pot roasts. $23 and it was about 5 lbs total
Turned out really good for a real cheap cut.
I cannot upload pictures to show the results
Reading what the others have posted, find one with a decent marbling and go for it! :sHa_shakeshout: