PDA

View Full Version : nets at pigeon lake

fish99
02-27-2021, 05:46 PM
came across a couple of tents over a 100 feet apart out in deep water off of grand view , there is poles with bleach jugs on them, and big holes with rope coming out them frozen in . i must assume that these people are net fishing .
i thought there was no more net fishing in pigeon lake allowed.
any idea how often they pull the nets up .

EZM
02-27-2021, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure ....... I was under the same impression.

Doesn't hurt to call F&W and at least let them know what you saw. If they are allowed and legal, then no harm done.

Howard Hutchinson
02-27-2021, 06:08 PM
Hmmm, less than ideal, I think. Yes sir, letting F&W know wouldn't hurt, for sure.

338Bluff
02-27-2021, 06:19 PM
First Nation subsistence fishing.

Smoky buck
02-27-2021, 06:31 PM
First Nation subsistence fishing.

This ^^

They are the only group legal to do so

lromanchuk
02-27-2021, 06:51 PM
I wonder if that has anything to do with the brutally slow days of fishing by Grandview lately. :thinking-006:

Curtsyneil
02-27-2021, 10:12 PM
Indigenous or First Nation are forsure still aloud to net fish pigeon lake. There is no commercial net fishing aloud anymore on pigeon lake. Most likely they will be netting whitefish with the chance of netting every other species in the lake. They will soak for 12hrs and then have to pull, they can’t let it soak any longer than that. They net pigeon every year. They also should have there jugs or grade stakes number with a serial number or some type of identification and very visible to see by eye. Watched them pull one year actually amazing how little walleye they caught and surprised how huge some of the whites actually are. Cheers!

Curtsyneil
02-27-2021, 10:49 PM
Sorry 12-24hr soak.

1Heavyhitr
02-28-2021, 07:34 PM
I wonder if that has anything to do with the brutally slow days of fishing by Grandview lately. :thinking-006:

Since nothings “ biting “ should waltz over and see if they’ll fill my tags :bad_boys_20:

fish99
03-01-2021, 06:20 PM
Since nothings “ biting “ should waltz over and see if they’ll fill my tags :bad_boys_20:

you should because the owners of the nets are not looking after them . the fish will be all rotten by the time they pull them up.

lromanchuk
03-02-2021, 07:57 AM
you should because the owners of the nets are not looking after them . the fish will be all rotten by the time they pull them up.

What a waste. Just drives me crazy. Hunting and fishing, same story.. :angry3:

58thecat
03-02-2021, 08:12 AM
sounds like this group are doing it at least with consideration of other users on the ice as in marking the holes etc....out on Cold Lake I have come across huge holes as they move locations...ohh they do mark where they are but not where they were....now with regards to netting period on a lake that has number issues with regards to various species...this should not be allowed...gill nets don't pick and choose species...if you, me us are true keepers of the land then behave so not because you can legally do it:snapoutofit:

I said this for hunting too....it goes for all of us!

marky_mark
03-03-2021, 01:09 PM
sounds like this group are doing it at least with consideration of other users on the ice as in marking the holes etc....out on Cold Lake I have come across huge holes as they move locations...ohh they do mark where they are but not where they were....now with regards to netting period on a lake that has number issues with regards to various species...this should not be allowed...gill nets don't pick and choose species...if you, me us are true keepers of the land then behave so not because you can legally do it:snapoutofit:

I went commercial fishing a few times when it was allowed
Was pretty impressive that if you knew what you were doing you could target a specific size and species of fish really well.
I think we caugh somewhere around 10000 lbs of whitefish, a lot of burbot that we threw back. And maybe 2-3 pike and no walleye

But that was someone that was regulated and controlled by a quota and license.
If you didn’t care you could have caught the same amount of walleye

CBintheNorth
03-03-2021, 02:04 PM

I fell in one of those holes and would have died if someone wasn't with me to pull me out.
I will likely go to jail if I ever find someone leaving one of those death traps unmarked again.