PDA

View Full Version : Honda to the rescue!!

1shotwade
02-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Doing the annual pembina river run with the boys!! My buds Polaris razer blew the rear end and locked up the tires!! 38 km drag!! Used some cooler lids for skis !! 23 km an hour 3 gear and got it home!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210228/6f2b0ee3529bd918eb9c7e68bf48773a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Savage Bacon
02-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Doing the annual pembina river run with the boys!! My buds Polaris razer blew the rear end and locked up the tires!! 38 km drag!! Used some cooler lids for skis !! 23 km an hour 3 gear and got it home!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210228/6f2b0ee3529bd918eb9c7e68bf48773a.jpg

Good thinking with the cooler lids. I always enjoy a rescue mission.

Twisted Canuck
02-28-2021, 10:50 AM
I'm sure it was better today then when it was -42! Good job, that's some pretty good weight to tow.

1shotwade
02-28-2021, 10:50 AM
I usually am the last guy on trip. The bigger polaris guys can rip. But not one could bust it with one guy belt slipped. another guys polaris overheated!! 10000km on that 2000 450 foreman done brakes oil changes and couple plugs!! She has yet to let me down on a trip!!!:)

58thecat
02-28-2021, 11:11 AM
I usually am the last guy on trip. The bigger polaris guys can rip. But not one could bust it with one guy belt slipped. another guys polaris overheated!! 10000km on that 2000 450 foreman done brakes oil changes and couple plugs!! She has yet to let me down on a trip!!!:)

yup...first on race day, super cool looking sit around the fire and brag about pony power...but bring up let downs, broken parts, money spent, wrenching, frustration, how many times they have traded up, down, across....when you sip your bevy and smile at the ol'honda just ready to go and saved your butt many times and wallet too...:sHa_shakeshout:

Dean2
02-28-2021, 11:17 AM
You are a mean, mean man.:) If all the Honda owners posted all their pictures of them pulling Polarie (plural of Polaris) this thread would be thousands of pages long. On the other hand, Polaris towing a Honda would make a great "Rare Bird" photo op.:fighting0074:

Smokinyotes
02-28-2021, 12:42 PM
Geez that’s a good suck for any quad to pull a 4 seater razor. I’m surprised it didn’t just spin down to the ice.

Last week the bolt came out of my secondary on my 800 outlander and destroyed the clutch cover. I always say these Can Ams are the best riding, best handling, best power biggest pieces of **** made.

urban rednek
02-28-2021, 12:54 PM
Good job on the recovery! How many rigs are you using to tow that boat anchor?
We've had to use multiple full size tow vehicles to affect a recovery; takes planning and team work.

1shotwade
02-28-2021, 12:59 PM
Good job on the recovery! How many rigs are you using to tow that boat anchor?
We've had to use multiple full size tow vehicles to affect a recovery; takes planning and team work.

We started with 2 polaris 570 an myself!! after 10 km one polaris belt was slipping the other one had his oil light come on so I just used him to get me going and take up the slack! did burn a tonne of fuel in 38 km!!

amosfella
02-28-2021, 01:01 PM
In my opinion, Honda and Yamaha are the best quads you can get.

Kurt505
02-28-2021, 02:05 PM
Geez that’s a good suck for any quad to pull a 4 seater razor. I’m surprised it didn’t just spin down to the ice.

Last week the bolt came out of my secondary on my 800 outlander and destroyed the clutch cover. I always say these Can Ams are the best riding, best handling, best power biggest pieces of **** made.

I’ve pretty much had them all. I was going through the machines I’ve owned and come up with 18 in total. Can Am, Polaris, Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, not a Suzuki machine but I’ve run Suzuki engines in a few machines. I think Can Am gives you the most power to cc ratio but Polaris has a better ride. Yamaha grizzly 700 is probably the best over all machine I’ve owned but I don’t think it’s the best in any one category. I just picked up an XMR 850, it seems like a decent machine. Power wise I think the only other quad on the market that will beat it is the Can Am 1000. The old Honda’s were reliable but like riding a skateboard. I think as the ride quality went up the reliability is pretty much on par with the others. I think a lot of the reliability comes from having a 28hp engine as compared to a 78hp engine. I had a renegade 800 that had the same thing happen to me but I caught it before it did too much damage to the clutch cover, just a bit of wear on the inside. Had a hydrostatic transmission go on a Honda rubicon. Had a stator go on a Yamaha grizzly 700, a few cv joints on a Polaris Ranger, I don’t think there’s enough bandwidth to list what I’ve done to my sleds and jet ski’s, pretty much anything 2 stroke should come with a tool set imo.

The old Honda’s are definitely a reliable machine. Nowadays you can probably get 20,000km out of any machine providing a guy does regular maintenance and aren’t constantly pushing it to its limits.

ram crazy
02-28-2021, 02:29 PM
Polaris have big issues with the rear diff pinion nuts backing off and when they do it gets really expensive. For the ranch it’s nothing but Honda quads, they take the punishment

Smokinyotes
02-28-2021, 03:19 PM
I faithfully greased my quad every time I was in water above the axles and still had to change both rear driveshaft u joints at 3400km this past summer. Not a big deal but some of Can Ams finer engineering when you have to pull the rear diff back in order to get the drive shaft out.

EZM
02-28-2021, 03:31 PM
Hondas are bullet proof reliable. Not the best at anything else, but they start, are hard to break, and give you piece of mind if you go deep into the sticks.

Everybody who has spent any time in the sticks knows stuff breaks and ingenuity and hard work is what's needed some times. The cooler lids worked out. I carry a crazy carpet for that same reason (or to tow anything I need to skid along like logs, someone's sled, etc..

Kurt505
02-28-2021, 03:31 PM
I faithfully greased my quad every time I was in water above the axles and still had to change both rear driveshaft u joints at 3400km this past summer. Not a big deal but some of Can Ams finer engineering when you have to pull the rear diff back in order to get the drive shaft out.

Can am is the worst machine to wrench on imo.

1shotwade
02-28-2021, 03:39 PM
Hondas are bullet proof reliable. Not the best at anything else, but they start, are hard to break, and give you piece of mind if you go deep into the sticks.

Everybody who has spent any time in the sticks knows stuff breaks and ingenuity and hard work is what's needed some times. The cooler lids worked out. I carry a crazy carpet for that same reason (or to tow anything I need to skid along like logs, someone's sled, etc..

Ya it was a brainstorm to get a solution because it was not moving without skis of some sort!! Only downside was our " refreshing beverages " got consumed every 20 minutes at break time on the haul out!:happy0180:

huntinstuff
02-28-2021, 03:57 PM
Id have waited until thaw and let it float home.......lol