PDA

View Full Version : skeet throwers

CDNOutdoorsman
02-28-2021, 08:11 PM
a couple buddies and I were chatting about going together to get a good skeet thrower. I am not familiar with alot of them so looking for opinions on good, bad and ugly brands and models and where a good place to purchase.
Thank you in advance.

elkhunter11
02-28-2021, 08:25 PM
You likely don't want an actual skeet machine, they start at around $5,000. You can buy battery operated portable target throwers for $5-600 that will likely last you , for as often as you will use it. You can get the optional wobble feature on some , that will provide a little more challenge, by throwing a few different presentations. If you get a remote with good range, you can also throw targets to provide incoming or broadside targets. If you check with some of the ranges, you might find a much better quality used trap machine for a decent price, and they not only oscillate and vary elevation, but can throw targets faster.

Takemeoutside
02-28-2021, 08:29 PM
I picked up a Champion Wheelybird 2.0, and also got the wobbler kit for it. It’s been awesome. I made a little extension on the cart to hold a car battery for it. The only issue I have is the remote receiver is mounted on the back side of the unit and sometimes it need a couple extra activations depending on where you are standing. If you have line of sight on it then no issues. Cant speak to long term reliability but I would definitely buy it again if I had to.

And absolutely get the wobbler kit, it gives so much more challenge and lets you work on your skills. The remote has a timer so I’ve gone and shot solo over time to get ready for the season as well.

birdman86
03-01-2021, 09:03 AM
+1 for Wheelybird 2 with wobbler. I also built a cart for mine that holds the battery and a box of clays. No complaints at all. Store it indoors to prevent rust. Wireless remote is a must, especially if you might ever go solo (it has timer delay).

Shop around a bit, I think Bass Pro was surprisingly cheaper than Cabelas for some reason. Lawry Shooting Sports also had really good prices shipped... I think I got the thrower form Bass Pro, the wobbler from Lawry.

tool
03-01-2021, 09:10 AM
If you don’t have at least an electric machine with the wobbler you are honestly better off with a hand thrower or spring loaded cheapo.

The regular electric ones with no wobbler or oscillating feature throw the bird so consistently I’m sure I could literally break them with my eyes closed after the first few clays.

CDNOutdoorsman
03-01-2021, 11:09 AM
You likely don't want an actual skeet machine, they start at around $5,000. You can buy battery operated portable target throwers for $5-600 that will likely last you , for as often as you will use it. You can get the optional wobble feature on some , that will provide a little more challenge, by throwing a few different presentations. If you get a remote with good range, you can also throw targets to provide incoming or broadside targets. If you check with some of the ranges, you might find a much better quality used trap machine for a decent price, and they not only oscillate and vary elevation, but can throw targets faster.

Sorry, I should have been more precise, you are correct, we are looking for a target thrower. We would definitely add the wobbler and wireless remote.
Good thinking on checking with some clubs if they have a used one for sale. Might be a risk though as they would likely be getting rid of a unit that is wore out...
I will take a look at the Champion 2.0.

thanks guys, appreciate the opinions.

nast70
03-01-2021, 03:26 PM
We run 2 spring loaded cheapo Champions. Set them up on either side of the shooter and get some cross fires going, just like Duck Hunt!
In our big camping site we bucked up a couple big logs and sawed holes for the legs to fit in. Far more stable than trying to keep them pushed in the gravel where we usually shoot.

tool
03-01-2021, 08:22 PM
We run 2 spring loaded cheapo Champions. Set them up on either side of the shooter and get some cross fires going, just like Duck Hunt!
In our big camping site we bucked up a couple big logs and sawed holes for the legs to fit in. Far more stable than trying to keep them pushed in the gravel where we usually shoot.

Yep. Those work well because they are very random on how the bird flies. Don’t waste your time trying to push the puny legs into the ground though. I attached mine to a brake drum off a semi and that seems to work well but is still portable.

And almost no cost, I think those throwers can be had for $40 or so on sale?

Savage Bacon
03-01-2021, 08:31 PM
We have a cheapo hand pull back, string pull release. We make our daughter load it for us. If we didn't have a kid to do the hard work for us, we'd get a better system.

EdmontonEli
03-01-2021, 10:15 PM
The Wheelbird 2.0 champion set is a good clay thrower. Plus if you have a trius clay thrower (foot release). You can do side shooting from both sides. And if you're willing to invest in another WheelBird 2.0 with the wobble kit, you can have a clay come towards you (toward shot angle).