PDA

View Full Version : Bench top drill press

Sitting Bull
03-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Good day, I am looking for some recommendations for an inexpensive bench top drill press. I am not looking for pro stuff, just something to use occasionally. Is there such a thing out there?
Thank you.

sarahfaye
03-01-2021, 03:40 PM
King bench top on Amazon. $100.00 shipped. Have been using it for a week . No complaints.

HyperMOA
03-01-2021, 04:24 PM
Canadian tire generally has one go on sale 50% off regularly. It’s a small drill press. It does what it needs to.

Grizzly Adams
03-01-2021, 04:37 PM
Canadian tire generally has on go on sale 50% off regularly. It’s a small drill press. It does what it needs to.

I think there's one factory in China that makes all these. I 've used a similar unit for over 30 years. They work well within their limitations, enough for most people. CT puts them on sale quite often.

Grizz

HyperMOA
03-01-2021, 04:44 PM
I think there's one factory in China that makes all these. I 've used a similar unit for over 30 years. They work well within their limitations, enough for most people. CT puts them on sale quite often.

Grizz

Agreed. They are definitely constructed of Chinesium.

lyallpeder
03-02-2021, 07:54 AM
Canadian tire generally has one go on sale 50% off regularly. It’s a small drill press. It does what it needs to.

I bought one of these too, no complaints. I usually use it on steel, seems to drill straight.

ghfalls
03-02-2021, 06:10 PM
If I was buying a drill press I’d spend more and get a radial drill press. Would be handy for lots of woodworking projects.

badbrass
03-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Canadian Tire! On sale start's tomorrow!!!!!! $100.00 off!

badbrass
03-05-2021, 05:10 PM
Well I'll never do it again! Went to our local Canadian Tire for the drill press! They have none left. They look it up for me and say there are 6 in the next city! So its a nice day so we go for a drive. Pick it up and bring it home and I put it together, thinking more and more plastic? Then turn it on and nothing, try it again and a noise is coming from it. Then I look and the fan cover is heavy dented in, making the noise. Take it apart and back to our store for refund. Never again!

HyperMOA
03-05-2021, 05:21 PM
Well I'll never do it again! Went to our local Canadian Tire for the drill press! They have none left. They look it up for me and say there are 6 in the next city! So its a nice day so we go for a drive. Pick it up and bring it home and I put it together, thinking more and more plastic? Then turn it on and nothing, try it again and a noise is coming from it. Then I look and the fan cover is heavy dented in, making the noise. Take it apart and back to our store for refund. Never again!

That’s too bad. I ask for rain-checks, I don’t drive all over the place.

badbrass
03-05-2021, 05:36 PM
That’s too bad. I ask for rain-checks, I don’t drive all over the place.

Ya me to! But thought it was a nice day and all! Ya not so much! Will look at made in Canada for now on! Tired of this!:mad0100:

badbrass
03-05-2021, 05:41 PM
Don't know why I did this! As my saying is: You get what you paid for it!!!!!!!!!!

HyperMOA
03-05-2021, 05:57 PM
Ya me to! But thought it was a nice day and all! Ya not so much! Will look at made in Canada for now on! Tired of this!:mad0100:

Made in Canada!!?!???! Good luck. I’d be happy with made in Guatemala. Just tired of chinesium.

Outbound
03-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Made in Canada!!?!???! Good luck. I’d be happy with made in Guatemala. Just tired of chinesium.

I look for made in the USA.

Zuludog
03-07-2021, 08:05 PM
I have one from Lee Valley. It's nice but a bit more than a Canadian Tire one though

Arty
03-07-2021, 09:53 PM
Maybe not a bench-top, but I picked up a nice used Rockwell standup model on Kijiji a while back. Good strong induction motor and belt drive, good bearings. You might pay 250 for one.

CaberTosser
03-08-2021, 01:29 AM
I have a Cdn Tire one, but I bought it 20 years ago before I started swearing off Chinese goods wherever possible.

Lots of home shop drill presses get only minor use and show up at estate sales and online classifieds. A patient shopper could find a quality brand name unit if they bide their time

Grizzly Adams
03-08-2021, 08:11 AM
I picked up a nice used Rockwell standup model

I've always felt Rockwell engineers must have been in the lower half of their class. :lol: Their work lacks something, hard to put your finger on. Good for wood work, the hard stuff not so much. I bought a full sized Chinese 16 speed floor model at auction for 100. The quill was a little sloppy, but there are ways to deal with that.

Grizz