PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake ice heave

CBintheNorth
03-01-2021, 10:25 PM
Anyone else hear about this or can confirm where it runs?

Had a friend of a friend say there is a huge split that developed roughly 15-20 feet wide and 20 kms long. Was apparently wide open water on the weekend.

Just trying to confirm if that's correct and if it is, what areas are affected. The guy was saying there were several people cut off from their shanties.

Thanks.

Bushleague
03-01-2021, 10:36 PM
Anyone else hear about this or can confirm where it runs?

Had a friend of a friend say there is a huge split that developed roughly 15-20 feet wide and 20 kms long. Was apparently wide open water on the weekend.

Just trying to confirm if that's correct and if it is, what areas are affected. The guy was saying there were several people cut off from their shanties.

Thanks.

Where on the lake is this? Was out near my house this morning and did not see anything like that, but I was fishing pretty shallow.

GMX
03-02-2021, 06:29 AM
Where on the lake is this? Was out near my house this morning and did not see anything like that, but I was fishing pretty shallow.

From what I heard its in the spruce point (Little Miami) area.

liketoshoot
03-02-2021, 06:37 AM
Yes at little Miami. Crossed from Assineau to the narrows on the weekend and there are 2 heaves but nothing too bad

KPIKE
03-02-2021, 08:57 AM
yes it is in the area mentioned not a heave at all open crevasse open water
don't know how long it is, but it was open 20' wide or more in places

CBintheNorth
03-02-2021, 09:08 AM
From what I heard its in the spruce point (Little Miami) area.

Yes at little Miami. Crossed from Assineau to the narrows on the weekend and there are 2 heaves but nothing too bad

yes it is in the area mentioned not a heave at all open crevasse open water
don't know how long it is, but it was open 20' wide or more in places

Thanks gents.

A 20' trench with 1/2" of ice and snow on it is extremely dangerous.:scared0015:
This warm weather is not going to help.

7magtime
03-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Crazy if that's the truth, I can't imagine what that would be like if you were on the ice and close by. Hopefully anyone out on the ice when it happened was able to get off safely.
Does it affect Assineau or Canyon Creek access or is it just around Spruce Point Park and Little Miami?

GMX
03-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Get the boat and pull some bottom bouncers

Fishless
03-05-2021, 01:26 PM
Hey, I have never fished this lake but was hoping to get out there this coming week. Is this lake safe to go out on? Walking or driving, or am I just too late this season.

old dog
03-05-2021, 04:22 PM
Never seen anything like that especially when not related to a ice heave

Who Da Fisherman
03-05-2021, 06:13 PM
So wouldn't that mean there is 20' of ice pushed up onto land?
I know jackfish lake in sask has this happening and doing huge heaves on the shore and wrecking some cabins.
WDF

stubblejumper01
03-05-2021, 09:45 PM
No sign of the big crack at the narrows today. Access is limited to atv’s or track machines due to the depth of snow and drifts. No flood waters yet. Fish are biting good

7magtime
03-11-2021, 04:34 PM
Might head up this weekend and was wondering on any recent updates on this crack/heave situation?
As well-snow depth/flood water/truck access for the Spruce Point, Assineau and Canyon creek areas. Any info is appreciated and PM's welcome, thanks.

Bushmaster
03-11-2021, 05:52 PM
This is the ice heave we ran into at Keeley Lake in March/2017. We had to drive almost 2 miles to the west shore to get access to the lake. After we got home I used google earth and measured it at 10 miles!!

https://i.imgur.com/Fp4W0oY.jpg