PDA

View Full Version : zero turn mowers

buckbrushoutdoors
03-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Hey everyone I'm in the market for a zero turn, I have my choices some what nailed down between the John Deere( real one from dealership) and Husqvarna.
54-60" deck

I can buy both of these locally, I just bought my first acreage and want to buy once and have years of low equipment maintenance and efficient yard maintenance.
Acreage is 8 acres but only about 3 of it is grass and the rest is trees and pasture.

Any insight would be helpful.

WV911
03-03-2021, 09:15 AM
John Deere
I used JD commercially for years, very reliable and parts are relatively cheap and easy to get.
Resale, if that is a concern is better as well.

moniaw24
03-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Not sure what your budget is, but I would suggest a commercial version of the zero turn... everything on them is built better and stronger.... bigger engines, etc... I have a Kubota and have been extremely satisfied with the mower

lannie
03-03-2021, 09:26 AM
I have a Challenger model in the Country Clipper brand with a Kawasaki gas engine that is a great machine. No complaints at all with it and it has joy stick steering which is very nice. Also have a John Deere 997 Z trac with a yammer diesel in it. It is a better machine but quite a bit more expensive too. The clipper is much nicer to steer with compared to the "2 arm/lever" steering. Clipper with ROPS was about 11,000 and the JD was closer to 30,000. Everything I have owned with Kubota brand has been excellent so I would look at those too.

HyperMOA
03-03-2021, 09:28 AM
Country Clipper. Joystick control allows you to enjoy a nice ice cold beer.

JDK71
03-03-2021, 09:46 AM

sold!!!

Ken07AOVette
03-03-2021, 09:49 AM
I have had a few, favorite is the cub cadet with a steering wheel. Cheap, reliable, good power and quick. Spending 30g on a mower is insane. Mine is a 2014 and will likely last 20 more years.

exact same as this

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/1157811871324015?ref=share_attachment

Condition
Used - Good
Brand
cubcadet
54" zero turn mower. Good condition. Replaced the starter and upgraded the steering hardware. 285hrs $2700 Barrhead

Stubb
03-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Bteween the Husky and JD i'd go JD. Go sit on a Toro with MY RIDE seat, That's what sold it for me.

tri777
03-03-2021, 10:26 AM
This all summer long !!
Will never go back to steering wheel/the 2 lever steer bar type zero turn.
(i need to sip my beverages & swat mosquito's)

buckbrushoutdoors
03-03-2021, 10:36 AM
lots of great info, I will do some research on the country clippers.

elkhunter11
03-03-2021, 10:53 AM
I mow all of our ranges with a Cub Cadet 54", and it has been reliable, But if we upgrade, we will be looking at joystick models.

Dean2
03-03-2021, 10:57 AM
No zero turn but my current grass tractor is a Kubota with a 17HP Kawasaki air cooled motor. Have had it since 2004, it cut 3 acres in Calgary for nearly 9 years and about a half acre here since 2013. It still only has about 200 hours on it. Oil change, filters and plug every 50 hours and one belt to date, that was my own fault.

I seriously looked at replacing it last year with a brand new JD zero turn or tractor, both gas motors. Ball park cost would have been about 15,000 either way. After test driving both, I kept my Kubota. The JDs were far too large and clumsy and they did not feel all that stable on any kind of a side hill. They were also quite noisy. I didn't mind spending the money, but the Kubota with the mulch kit on it actually gives a better cut and it is physically much smaller and more nimble, same cutting speed as the physically bigger machine with about the same horsepower.

tri777
03-03-2021, 11:05 AM
To add,
If you have back issues (I do), the joystick type ZT's will be the most forgiven, after 2.5hrs sitting using a
steering wheel type mower, I could barely stand up and get off seat. Since getting the Country Clipper,
the same job only takes and a bit over an hr, and although my back still gets sore, it is much more tolerant
of a task for me now.

Indy
03-03-2021, 11:09 AM
https://meangreenproducts.com/

Check out the electric models, less maintenance/quiet. Good advertised battery life. Wish I would have seen these before I bought my JD Commercial.

tri777
03-03-2021, 11:15 AM

Check out the electric models, less maintenance/quiet. Good advertised battery life. Wish I would
have seen these before I bought my JD Commercial.

X2 !!!
Seems a good option to me also.

Stan tests one, in completely unbiased, real world conditions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT_sC9hmqXc

ditners
03-03-2021, 11:56 AM
I have a country clipper challenger as well. Joystick steering is awesome, especially going around trees. If you have the conventional lever steering, branches are always hitting the inside lever which just pulls you further into the tree.

Also all country clipper models have a flip up deck, takes about 30 seconds to flip up or down. Sure beats using a tractor to flip the mower to try and change blades.

My only complaint is I wish it had more suspension in the seat, just has two small springs under the seat. My yard is not the smoothest and you can sure feel some of the bumps when going 9 mph!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riden
03-03-2021, 12:02 PM
To add,
If you have back issues (I do), the joystick type ZT's will be the most forgiven, after 2.5hrs sitting using a
steering wheel type mower, I could barely stand up and get off seat. Since getting the Country Clipper,
the same job only takes and a bit over an hr, and although my back still gets sore, it is much more tolerant
of a task for me now.

I also have back issues.

The heavier the model, the smoother the ride.

elkhunter11
03-03-2021, 12:11 PM

Check out the electric models, less maintenance/quiet. Good advertised battery life. Wish I would have seen these before I bought my JD Commercial.

I thought that they looked interesting, until I saw the prices. With the smallest battery they run around $20,000 for a 52".

7magtime
03-03-2021, 12:18 PM
I have the Cub Cadet zero turn with the Kawasaki engine, 54" deck and steering wheel(for having a beer:)). Zero complaints and It cut my lawn mowing time in half from my previous JD lawn tractor. A relative has the same one but 3 years older and no issues for him either so far.
If you go JD you need to go with the pricier commercial models if you're cutting 3 acres, the lower end models won't last long before they start wearing out in my experience.....

sewerrat
03-03-2021, 12:23 PM
I work for a municipality, and I just last week bought a new 4 wheel drive JD front mount mower (1550) with a 72" deck diesel, for our parks and green space. that unit was just over 31k.
We had a 2008 JD 1435 which was only 2 wheel drive with a little yanmar diesel
and that thing is a tough machine, never had to much trouble with it, other than beat up a bit as summer kids drove it.

tri777
03-03-2021, 12:28 PM
" ..My only complaint is I wish it had more suspension in the seat, just has two small springs under the seat.
My yard is not the smoothest and you can sure feel some of the bumps when going 9 mph! .."

I would just fab up 2 more seat springs from an old junker.

Ronaround
03-03-2021, 12:32 PM
I'm voting Husky 0 turn. 28 hp. motor
i have a 61" commercial deck for almost 10 years. limited to
1 pulley replacement, synthetic oil and filter changes and plugs. mowing two places yearly,1 place, 6 acres,the other 5 acres.
this my friends is a mowing machine. get one ,you wont be dissapointed!

Iron Brew
03-03-2021, 12:46 PM
I'm admittedly orange for machines, so I went with a Kubota. It's my first new Kubota anything but my used (tractor and loader) have been so good I stayed with the brand. 2 summers of mowing and wonder why I ever tried another way. I went with the bottom end commercial rather than the residential (Z400 with the 48" deck - for increased deck rigidity). After years of residential stuff I decided you save money in the long run with commercial grade. Usually easier to fix too (as I found out with a caused by me oooops).

Pixel Shooter
03-03-2021, 12:53 PM
Country Clipper with joy stick. Maintenance super easy. Cleaning underneath deck totally accessible in 30 seconds. Flips up facing u. Try that with a John Deere or other manufacturers. Brutal lol.

riden
03-03-2021, 01:11 PM
My only complaint is I wish it had more suspension in the seat, just has two small springs under the seat. My yard is not the smoothest and you can sure feel some of the bumps when going 9 mph!

Aftermarkets are available.

That was my original plan, but my back now loves my John Deere 375

Sigma
03-03-2021, 02:51 PM
I own 2 John Deere zero turns and you cannot go wrong with them.

My daughter, my neighbor, and the local church bought country clippers and I have spend countless hours on this brand in the past half dozen years. They are simple to maintain and will cut through anything. You cannot go wrong with this brand either. The local dealer in River Que Barre had a much lower price than other dealers I did find this brand to be quite noisy and hearing protection is a must.

My other daughter has a large Kubota commercial model and this machine is build to last. It is a bit pricy and would be the one I would pick if money was not an object.

All 3 brands are worth looking at.

Sig

L2H Lance
03-03-2021, 04:47 PM
I went from a Cub Cadet to a Country Clipper with a 10 acre Yard that was a huge upgrade and saving a couple hours every time cutting grass.

gordfishing
03-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Toro works good too

eagleflyfisher
03-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Have a kubota zg227 gas job, no problem w it after 4 years.
Only regret is I didn’t go diesel.
W the gas one I only keep throttle at about 80% otherwise it chews fuel.
Did spend $2500 plus on a grass catcher for the immediate lawn but never seem to use it.
Lots of good machines out there.
Can’t quite recall but I think it was in the 9k range new.

buckbrushoutdoors
03-03-2021, 05:43 PM
The one thing that seems constant is everyone has a brand they like. Thanks guys I will go see a few dealerships and see what I like the best.

mac1983
03-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Country Clipper Boulevard with the joystick. You won't regret it.

amosfella
03-03-2021, 07:12 PM
The local bobcat dealer carries what is called a Grasshopper zero turn. Guys on the forums say those are really good machines as well.

MountainTi
03-03-2021, 07:15 PM
Country Clipper Boulevard with the joystick. You won't regret it.

Particularly if you like to indulge in a beer while mowing. One handed operation is sure nice

LEGZ
03-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Particularly if you like to indulge in a beer while mowing. One handed operation is sure nice

Another vote for the Country Clipper Boulevard. Wife likes the single joystick as she can text as she mows lol

elkhunter1234
03-03-2021, 10:04 PM
I’ve got a “Bad Boy” zero turn and love it. They are built Hutterite tuff..

Jim...

Big Grey Wolf
03-04-2021, 10:35 AM
Small lawn less than 1-2 acre any model will work, large lawn more than 3 acres would recommend a commercial grade unit, unless you have to much $$ burning a hole in your pocket, then have at it and keep your dealer happy.
A commercial unit on small lawn "will still be cutting the grass above you when you are under the grass"

tool
03-04-2021, 04:28 PM
I have a 54” John Deere zero turn with the 27 hp Kawasaki engine. It’s a good machine.

Never run the Husqvarna so I don’t have an opinion.

KBF
03-04-2021, 05:14 PM
I have a JD Z425 I believe it is. Last couple years the darn thing has been ignorant to start. I need to have it looked at. Have to give a shot of gas in the carb to get her to go. I failed to do my part though and should have put some fuel stabilizer in or ran it dry before winter. Problem is probably self inflicted. Other than that it’s nice

Dean2
03-04-2021, 06:06 PM
I have a JD Z425 I believe it is. Last couple years the darn thing has been ignorant to start. I need to have it looked at. Have to give a shot of gas in the carb to get her to go. I failed to do my part though and should have put some fuel stabilizer in or ran it dry before winter. Problem is probably self inflicted. Other than that it’s nice

Definitely self inflicted. This has nothing to do with it being a JD, clean the carb out well and it will start just fine again. You can start with the old standby, Seafoam, but if it is gummed bad enough you might have to do the full job.

stubby99ca
03-04-2021, 06:23 PM
I've had a Husqvarna Z246 with 20hp Kohler engine for 5 years. It is a residential model. Cut under an acre of grass. Has been good for me. No doubt there are better machines out there ie Grasshopper, Country Clipper etc, but they cost a pile more. I think it is a case of spend the $$$ for what you need vs getting the "best"

IL Bar
03-04-2021, 06:52 PM

Change fuel filter

KBF
03-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Definitely self inflicted. This has nothing to do with it being a JD, clean the carb out well and it will start just fine again. You can start with the old standby, Seafoam, but if it is gummed bad enough you might have to do the full job.

I’m a red guy at heart. So I have to hate on it haha. Ya I should have been more diligent. But from day one I was never impressed with how well it started. Should have been more proactive.

KBF
03-04-2021, 08:04 PM
Change fuel filter

It’s definitely easier to get at than the carbs. I will start there

riden
03-04-2021, 08:17 PM
I’m a red guy at heart. So I have to hate on it haha. Ya I should have been more diligent. But from day one I was never impressed with how well it started. Should have been more proactive.

JD 375

From day one I was unhappy with how it started. The JD dealership I bought it from came and adjusted the choke in my yard.

Problem solved.

Freedom55
03-05-2021, 04:27 AM
Why would anyone want a mower that only travels in a straight line?

NayNay
03-05-2021, 05:26 AM

I have the same mower and I had the same problem. Carb had to come off and be cleaned. Since then zero problems.

elkhunter11
03-05-2021, 07:22 AM

We only buy premium no ethanol gasoline for our zero turn and our snowblowers at the range, and I have had no issues starting them in the spring. I don't drain the fuel or add fuel stabilizer, and the engines still run fine on the fuel that has sat in them for months. I do the same for my own mowers and blower, with no issues

liar
03-05-2021, 08:23 AM
Why would anyone want a mower that only travels in a straight line?
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

liar
03-05-2021, 08:25 AM
We only buy premium no ethanol gasoline for our zero turn and our snowblowers at the range, and I have had no issues starting them in the spring. I don't drain the fuel or add fuel stabilizer, and the engines still run fine on the fuel that has sat in them for months. I do the same for my own mowers and blower, with no issues

x2 . I've mentioned this more than once .

Ackleyman
03-05-2021, 09:09 AM
Arnes Equipment in Calgary has Graveley's. They are a real good mower. 60" deck and 26.5 HP for about $8k.

colt45
03-05-2021, 03:07 PM
I have the boss xl country clipper , 35 hp Kawasaki, 60”works excellent
I have the electric to raise the mower to change the blades
Works great it is commercial grade will last me for ever, I used a Husquvarna 46” lawn tractor before, but this is much better , I’m very hard on it and it is running great,
The seat is great for the back
Very pricey though

traderal
03-05-2021, 07:11 PM
I have a JD 1545 4 wheel drive 31 hp diesel front mount 72 inch 7 iron deck and a 72 inch snowblower for winter. Has a heated cab but for summer I made extra doors with screening to keep the bugs out and allow air in. Even with the 72 inch mowing deck it takes me 4 1/2 hours to do my grass. If I was buying a zero turn I would get a Ferris 800 or 3300 which has the most advanced suspension system on the market for rough ground. Ferris was part of Briggs and Stratton. Some Toro models also have a suspension system.

sewerrat
03-05-2021, 08:46 PM
I’ve got a “Bad Boy” zero turn and love it. They are built Hutterite tuff..

Jim...

Problem is only 4 dealers in all of Alberta, we have one at work, it’s the worst machine, and parts are hard to find .

KBF
03-06-2021, 12:08 PM

I have not ran premium. Will have to try that

elkhunter11
03-06-2021, 12:14 PM

Not just premium, no ethanol premium. the ethanol blend fuels don't keep as well over time. Some premium fuels, contain a lot of ethanol, it depends what refinery the fuel comes from. Some service stations actually have labels on their pumps that state the percentage of ethanol.

northerntrapper
03-06-2021, 12:40 PM
I also have the Country Clipper Challenger. Beats the hell out of the JD540 tractor with mower, so I just use it for rototilling now. The Challenger was one of my better choices in life I have made.

Iron Brew
03-06-2021, 07:26 PM

Shell premium was the best a few years ago. Maybe they’ve started putting ethynol in it?

Dean2
03-06-2021, 07:35 PM
In Edmonton and Calgary no ethanol premium shows up at shell, esso, costco, mobile and coop in calgary. If the premium has ethanol it should have a sticker disclosing that. For instance all Husky and Petro Canada gas has ethanol in all grades including premium.

elkhunter11
03-06-2021, 07:50 PM
Shell premium was the best a few years ago. Maybe they’ve started putting ethynol in it?

Shell premium has zero ethanol. Our Safeway gets their fuel from Safeway, so no ethanol in premium.

Redneck Tommy
03-07-2021, 06:52 PM
Running a JD Z525e with 54 inch deck right now has really impressed me compared to my brothers husqvarna. I plan to replace it mine with another JD this spring because I really need a wider deck with the amount of mowing I do.

brendan's dad
03-07-2021, 07:20 PM
Hustler Raptor with 24 HP Kawasaki and 60 inch deck. It cuts a lot of grass fast and is built like a tank.

gsp hunter
03-07-2021, 08:17 PM
ExMark with a welded deck and Kawasaki motor.

buckbrushoutdoors
03-30-2021, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, ended up going with John Deere 530m 60" zero turn. The local dealership was easy to deal with and gave me a fairly significant discount,

Arty
03-30-2021, 10:22 AM
Hey everyone I'm in the market for a zero turn, I have my choices some what nailed down between the John Deere( real one from dealership) and Husqvarna.
54-60" deck

I can buy both of these locally, I just bought my first acreage and want to buy once and have years of low equipment maintenance and efficient yard maintenance.
Acreage is 8 acres but only about 3 of it is grass and the rest is trees and pasture.

Any insight would be helpful.

A good new scythe costs 200 bucks, and will last a lifetime. Lots of them used to be hanging on the walls of old farm buildings everywhere. If you could find one with the handle wood still in good condition you'd probably be able to get it in trade for a case of beer.

Competition record for harvesting an acre of grass is 1 hr 26 minutes, set in 1822. You could probably do it in a couple hours. That'd be a couple hours a week of healthy exercise, hitting each grass patch every 3 weeks. And it will add 15 years to your lifespan to boot.
Can't get a better deal than that.

Full Metal Jacket
03-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Bteween the Husky and JD i'd go JD. Go sit on a Toro with MY RIDE seat, That's what sold it for me.

This, I tried the Toro Titan with the My Ride seat and my 54 inch Husky was sold immediately!