PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Seuss books

Mr Flyguy
03-03-2021, 10:00 AM
6 Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published due to racial imagery!

The book police are coming: "Hide your book, in a nook!"

Grumpy Old Man
03-03-2021, 10:04 AM
Yup this world is just getting stupider and stupider. Dr Seuss and before that they did some censorship to Sesame Street. For god sakes these people have no sense of leaving well enough alone.:angry3:

Reeves1
03-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Couple thoughts I had this morning about the cancel cult BS going on....

So, no more male/female....... so what tags do I buy next year ? (LOL)

Next was what will Kabec do ? They going to make English = to french ?
Equal size signs & no more language Police ?

I have shop stuff to do, so no more weird thoughts , for now :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
03-03-2021, 10:09 AM
https://globalnews.ca/video/7673376/6-dr-seuss-books-will-no-longer-be-published-due-to-racist-imagery

what a crock of feces

I am so sick of all this garbage.

Reeves1
03-03-2021, 10:10 AM
https://globalnews.ca/video/7673376/6-dr-seuss-books-will-no-longer-be-published-due-to-racist-imagery

what a crock of feces

Me too !
If the media would just ignore them......

Sashi
03-03-2021, 10:14 AM
May have to change your name.

Grizzly Adams
03-03-2021, 10:16 AM
It would seem our society has come down to book burning now. The big question being, who's driving this bus ? :confused:

Grizz

Grizzly Adams
03-03-2021, 10:20 AM

Next was what will Kabec do ? They going to make English = to french ?
Equal size signs & no more language Police ?

I have shop stuff to do, so no more weird thoughts , for now :sHa_sarcasticlol:

There's a new grocery store in Didsbury, not that the prices are any better than the old one :D, but they have a convoluted multi sex symbol on their bathroom door. Quite comical actually, I'm making a point of taking a pic next time for entertainment purposes. :lol:

Grizz

tri777
03-03-2021, 10:20 AM
After the potato head banning thing, I am feeling mother goose is a massive issue now..also, being labeled a
little chicken or a little pony doesn't sit well with me either. .Were the 3 bears being racist against Goldilocks?
These issues need to be looked into!

wildwoods
03-03-2021, 10:35 AM
cancel culture. gotta love this generation

KGB
03-03-2021, 10:37 AM
After the potato head banning thing, I am feeling mother goose is a massive issue now..also, being labeled a
little chicken or a little pony doesn't sit well with me either. .Were the 3 bears being racist against Goldilocks?
These issues need to be looked into!

You forgot the Snow White( who is obviously too white for her own good) and seven dwarfs( who are feeling discriminated being called dwarfs instead of vertically challenged).
And in latest news: CNN reported today that Walt Disney new film called “jet black”, the African -American version of “Snow White”, has been cancelled. All of the seven dwarfs refused to sing “Hi ho, hi ho” because they said it offends black prostitutes.....:scared0018:

gman1978
03-03-2021, 10:52 AM
When you listen to the alt left this is what you get. Hopefully we get a correction soon.

tri777
03-03-2021, 10:53 AM
You forgot the Snow White( who is obviously too white for her own good) and seven dwarfs( who are feeling discriminated being called dwarfs instead of vertically challenged).
And in latest news: CNN reported today that Walt Disney new film called “jet black”, the African -American version of “Snow White”, has been cancelled. All of the seven dwarfs refused to sing “Hi ho, hi ho” because they said it offends black prostitutes.....:scared0018:
Lol, how could I forget about the taboo whiteness of mrs.Snow!
hmm, maybe I could make some pocket money going after little Ceasar's?

jungleboy
03-03-2021, 11:08 AM
The cancel culture ,I cannot stand.
They are so weak and terribly bland.
I do not want them in the news .
I do not want to know their views.
They cry and moan and whinge and protest.
They seem never satisfied in their quest.
If only we could cancel them.
We could finally put this silliness to rest.

tri777
03-03-2021, 11:11 AM

A+

bobtodrick
03-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Time to pull out my copy of Mein Kampf (can still purchase at Barnes and Noble).
Can't believe I can still purchase that, but Dr. Suess is a no-no.
It's a weird world we are living in right now.

Howard Hutchinson
03-03-2021, 11:58 AM
>>
Perfect I say. Good one.

Alas, I wish we could turn back the clock, say 20 years?

JDK71
03-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Hurt feelings reports are at a all time high !!! soon they will want to take all books away sad times

Albertadiver
03-03-2021, 01:29 PM
I was talking about Chinaman's peak in Canmore last weekend. Made this lady's head literally explode.

I think if we could figure out the secret sauce to making heads explode we might have some real opportunities.

Here's one from my industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iMAB92x6E0

IronNoggin
03-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Here are the 'wrong' illustrations that got six Dr. Seuss books cancelled

Two of the six permanently pulled from publication currently rank as the world's best-selling children's books

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/books/here-are-the-wrong-illustrations-that-got-six-dr-seuss-books-cancelled

huntinstuff
03-03-2021, 03:35 PM
Yup

Right after they ban Kanye West's "Golddigger" and cancel Jaime Foxx from "Beat Shazam"......

nitro
03-03-2021, 04:33 PM
So 2020-2021
We ban Dr.Seuus books and others (back up your kindle books)
Cardi B WAP is the number one song

MountainTi
03-03-2021, 05:15 PM
Yup this world is just getting stupider and stupider. Dr Seuss and before that they did some censorship to Sesame Street. For god sakes these people have no sense of leaving well enough alone.:angry3:

The odd thing is I don't know anyone offended by Dr. Suess, Aunt Jemima, Edmonton Eskimos, Albino Rhino, or all the white people at Coke. Do these people actually exist and I just don't know any? Maybe that's on purpose...if I did I'm guessing they wouldn't care for me much after a short conversation

catnthehat
03-03-2021, 05:32 PM
May have to change your name.

Ain't gonna happen today - tomorrow don't look any better!!:thinking-006:
Cat

Jason Bourne
03-03-2021, 05:46 PM
I'm looking to buy all six for my (maybe) future grandkids. Why? Because the censors don't want me too.....

trigger7mm
03-03-2021, 05:50 PM
What next? They ban children books and cartoons yet you can turn on the t.v. anytime and see murders, shootings, nudity, foul language....the list goes on. This world is getting stupider and more pathetic by the day.

Red Bullets
03-03-2021, 07:43 PM
What next? They ban children books and cartoons yet you can turn on the t.v. anytime and see murders, shootings, nudity, foul language....the list goes on. This world is getting stupider and more pathetic by the day.

So true. It was the TV up to a couple years ago. Now they are controlling people with cell phones and the use of apps to dumb down the populations.

Frank Zappa said it best in these lyrics.

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed and deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set
~~~

Now I hear that all the major airlines have to update all their planes too. Now a commercial plane can no longer have only a cockpit. Half of the pilot's cabin must be retrofitted with a box office too. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

HeavyD111
03-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Well someone with too much time on their hands saw Hitlers moustache in the Amazon symbol...so of course tbey changed it.

What a stretch to see that. But then Dr Seuss is a racist so nothing shocks me anymore.

Truly glad I remember the 80s well..

7magtime
03-04-2021, 07:11 AM
So 2020-2021
We ban Dr.Seuus books and others (back up your kindle books)
Cardi B WAP is the number one song

This is spot on for how backwards the world is. The things Cardi B says in that song would label an average Caucasian person who said them racist and more than likely cause that person some serious legal troubles. But she's the flavour of the week and people are making money on this garbage so it flies, disgusting.

But let's go after children's books that kids have been enjoying for decades....:thinking-006:

Next will be some one complaining that Sesame Street needs to have all episodes with Oscar the Grouch in them pulled because he was slighted by having to live in a garbage can......lol

urban rednek
03-04-2021, 07:26 AM
Those stories were poorly written. There is barely any character development and they had plot holes you could stampede an entire division of cancel culture, well meaning progressives through.
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of his latest book; just to watch their heads explode.

Grizzly Adams
03-04-2021, 07:45 AM
Those stories were poorly written. There is barely any character development and they had plot holes you could stampede an entire division of cancel culture, well meaning progressives through.
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of his latest book; just to watch their heads explode.

I've never understood the fascination with Doctor Seuss, promotion will do wonders for pure crap, but they did reflect contemporary values, like everything else written in that time. Heck, I eat with sticks regularly. :D

Grizz

vcmm
03-04-2021, 08:19 AM
Parents should simply not buy any of their books or products.Get woke go broke.:sign0176:

Sundog57
03-04-2021, 08:32 AM
Dr Seuss is a great help for teaching kids to read - they think it's funny, it rhymes and it's all written in iambic pentameter so they can guess the next word...
I read it when I was a kid and I read it to my kids, lots, I gotta say I always thought that the Cat in the Hat was a cat - albeit a talking cat who walked upright (Hint to the "woke"- not a real cat...) I now find out that in woke culture that Dr. Seuss was really a white supremacist and that the cat was in fact a caricature of black people?
Damn - I must be really stupid. How could I have missed it?

This reminds me of Grade 10 English when my English teacher insisted that the words written on the page did not in fact mean what they said but that the long dead author was obviously alluding to something completely unconnected (and that said English teacher had a direct line to the true meaning) - guess I was stupid then too.

Sadly our world seems to be full of people who just can't wait to be victims. Forget Covid, we're having a plague of Munchausen Syndrome.

El Carnicero
03-04-2021, 09:36 AM

:

Hunting Regs have been way ahead of cancel culture on this one. Antlered and antlerless.

CalgaryDan
03-04-2021, 10:09 AM
What happens now if the buck you shot identified as a doe?

Sundog57
03-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Ha, more to the point - I see lots of does, I can't be sure, but most of them look like they self identify as bucks.
I wonder how the CO is going to react when I explain that to him, er, her, er, Xem

Donkey Oatey
03-04-2021, 02:28 PM
I am curious. Does anyone actually read up on what is happening or are they just jumping on the butt hurt train?

This isn't cancel culture. This isn't woke. They aren't being banned. No one is marching in the streets about this.

The publisher, who owns the rights, reviewed these six books and saw that the racial stereotypes were in bad taste and have DECIDED not to publish those books anymore. With good reason. They are not recalling them, they are not calling for stores and libraries pull them from the shelf. Just they won't publish anymore of them due to the racial stereotypes that no longer meet the test of what is acceptable.

Sure seems like a lot of butt hurt over nothing. Bad racial stereotypes have no place in a children's book at all. I am 100% in agreement that these books are no longer needed to be in current publication. I would say the same thing about remaking Breakfast at Tiffany's and the scene with the Asian landlord being a poor cartoonish buffoon. It is not needed today.

But then again I must be a liberal sheep. Baaaaahhhh

59whiskers
03-04-2021, 02:33 PM
The books might become a collectors item. Just like everything else that is banned.

Sundog57
03-04-2021, 02:39 PM
I guess the right way to respond is with the first stanza from McElligott's Pool
"Young man laughed the farmer you must be a fool"
Stereotypic farmer too - man that's offensive

Cigarguy
03-04-2021, 02:44 PM
I guess the right way to respond is with the first stanza from McElligott's Pool
"Young man laughed the farmer you must be a fool"
Stereotypic farmer too - man that's offensive

Dude, this is sooooo anti-PC.

Young - discrimination against the old
man - no no no no
laughed - no, not in this Covid era. You are discrimination against sad people.
farmer - what about other workers?
fool - bully bully bully

Soon saying "hello" will be offensive. I am after all is Cambodian and "hello" is not my native greeting.

Mr Flyguy
03-04-2021, 04:30 PM
In other PC news, it appears that the term "Newfie" has been deemed offensive in the CBC news comments section. So I guess they'll have to ban Stompin Tom's song about The Man in the Moon.

DoePolicyAnalyst
03-04-2021, 05:20 PM
I am curious. Does anyone actually read up on what is happening or are they just jumping on the butt hurt train?

This isn't cancel culture. This isn't woke. They aren't being banned. No one is marching in the streets about this.

The publisher, who owns the rights, reviewed these six books and saw that the racial stereotypes were in bad taste and have DECIDED not to publish those books anymore. With good reason. They are not recalling them, they are not calling for stores and libraries pull them from the shelf. Just they won't publish anymore of them due to the racial stereotypes that no longer meet the test of what is acceptable.

Sure seems like a lot of butt hurt over nothing. Bad racial stereotypes have no place in a children's book at all. I am 100% in agreement that these books are no longer needed to be in current publication. I would say the same thing about remaking Breakfast at Tiffany's and the scene with the Asian landlord being a poor cartoonish buffoon. It is not needed today.

Do you honestly believe that the group (his family, as I understand it) who own Dr. Seuss' works willingly and without any behind the scenes coercion decided to stop publishing 2 of the top 10 selling children's books (as per Amazon)? Because if you do, I've got a bridge over the North Sask for sale...

The fact is, many 'liberals' out there have been on a tear lately creating lists of books to target and have been putting pressure on all aspects of the supply chain (author, publisher, book store/website, etc.) to 'save' people from these 'abhorrent' images/texts. I was reading recently about a list of books that they will be pulling from shelves in school libraries (if I remember correctly) Ontario due to their various racist reasons, including the Little House on the Prairie.

Fair enough, you say. Bad racial stereotypes have no place in these books anymore. Of course not! Think of all the damage that is being done to our children to see an image of "Nazzim of Bazzim" riding a "Spazzim!" Or to see an image of a chinese man wearing a traditional hat eating with chopsticks! The horror!

But enough sarcasm. How long until 'they' have decided that many or most of Dr. Seuss' works have some type of racism? 2 years? 5 years? And what about other great works of fiction or art? Where do you draw the line and who gets to decide where it is drawn? The yardsticks are constantly on the move, to the point that you won't be able to sneeze soon without someone pointing and calling you racist.

It is incredibly telling that so many people these days are so worried about some perceived 'harm' that can be done by an image in a book or movie that we are willing to erase it from our common knowledge rather than view it with a critical eye or be willing to have open and honest conversations about it. And the most common response to this these days seems to be to throw up some strawman argument about 'white privilege' and try to attack the person who is making the argument rather than to actually try and come up with some type of counterpoint.

"First they came..."

HeavyD111
03-04-2021, 05:31 PM
Biden “omitted” Suess from Read Across Anerica Day...it’s obvious that is pretty much a ban.

Sitkaspruce
03-04-2021, 06:31 PM
https://babylonbee.com/news/we-found-17-different-instances-of-racism-on-just-one-page-of-a-dr-seuss-book

Cheers

SS

tri777
03-04-2021, 07:15 PM
All this 'cancel this & that' termite thinking is only going to get worse in other area's also..

Proposing restrictions on all flags
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dncXd3oFKJI

AtimoseMan
03-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Probably next will be Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. How dare you portray White supremacy and give them Dwarfs those names!!!

nitro
03-04-2021, 07:50 PM

Well ebay just stopped allowing them to be sold because of "hatful speech " so when do we call it a ban .I notice you can still buy mien kampf ......

jungleboy
03-04-2021, 08:30 PM
I have a feeling this pendulum is at it’s peak right now or close to it and will soon start swinging the other way with great momentum.

urban rednek
03-04-2021, 09:36 PM
I have a feeling this pendulum is at it’s peak right now or close to it and will soon start swinging the other way with great momentum.
I've heard that said about so many causes espoused by the enlightened over the years I have lost track of them all. While some causes eventually wither from neglect as they focus their collective judgement on the newest cause du jour, none get rescinded; the pendulum doesn't swing back the other way. It doesn't take long for society to forget when the media does their part to erase the story.

Enjoy the decline.

tri777
03-04-2021, 09:58 PM
So .. to recap,

We must protect these young kids from these horrible, scary, obscene, mind altering books, yet,
these youngens are deemed mature enough to inject themselves with gender changing hormones without
parental involvement.

Welcome to the upside down reset.

does it ALL outdoors
03-04-2021, 10:35 PM

Im having a REALLY hard time with this "new world" we are living in.

I was ready to tap out 5 years ago. Right when you think things can't get any worse, suprise!

I need a cabin in the middle of the woods and a few dogs, the more of this crap that happens the more I want out.

Eventually this madness HAS to stop? :angry3::angry3:

graybeard
03-05-2021, 09:06 AM
The last time I had, walk-in Chinese food, I was seated and at my placement, I was provided with a glass of water, napkin, steel utensils and yes chop sticks.

The Chinese staff was also eating nearby with chop sticks and also using their fingers. This all happened before the Dr. Seuss fiasco....

Good god please make this nonsense stop....

colroggal
03-05-2021, 10:18 AM
The images in those books are clearly in bad taste by today's standards. But that doesn't mean they should be eliminated. If anything they should be kept, unaltered for future generations. These books, aimed at children, offer a wonderful teaching tool beyond simply learning to read.

I can't think of a better way to open a dialogue with a child about racial stereotypes and how the world has changed. There was a time this was acceptable. Before that, it was acceptable to own other people.

Things change. It doesn't mean we should forget the past.

Colin.

Stinky Buffalo
03-05-2021, 10:31 AM
"Ja, tschast tsrow zem on ze pile wis ze rest of zem..."

https://collections.ushmm.org/iiif-b/assets/735009

JohnB
03-05-2021, 10:38 AM
The images in those books are clearly in bad taste by today's standards. But that doesn't mean they should be eliminated. If anything they should be kept, unaltered for future generations. These books, aimed at children, offer a wonderful teaching tool beyond simply learning to read.

I can't think of a better way to open a dialogue with a child about racial stereotypes and how the world has changed. There was a time this was acceptable. Before that, it was acceptable to own other people.

Things change. It doesn't mean we should forget the past.

Colin.

Well said.

tri777
03-05-2021, 10:41 AM
"The images in those books are clearly in bad taste by today's standards.."

Can you point out how is it in bad taste?

lmtada
03-05-2021, 10:47 AM

Yes this is bad taste.

sk270
03-05-2021, 12:13 PM
I can't say thanks for calling my attention to Cardi B and WAP because I was happier not knowing. I don't know how anyone who thinks this is the song of the year can criticize anybody's choice of literature, music or cartoons. Do they actually play this on the air?

I just read some critical reactions to the song and apparently my reaction makes me a racist misogynist. How about you?

nitro
03-05-2021, 04:25 PM
I can't say thanks for calling my attention to Cardi B and WAP because I was happier not knowing. I don't know how anyone who thinks this is the song of the year can criticize anybody's choice of literature, music or cartoons. Do they actually play this on the air?

I just read some critical reactions to the song and apparently my reaction makes me a racist misogynist. How about you?

Your welcome and yes there is a censored radio version that subs in wet and gushy for WAP.

Here is a link to a clip from a movie that looks a little to close for comfort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTxBodxAYAk&ab_channel=roystonlodge

colroggal
03-05-2021, 05:45 PM

Racially characterizing others for amusement while individualizing features of your own racial background, although not nessicarily intended to be hurtful or scornful, does belittle a people and dehumanizes them.

Just imagine a world slightly different, where China was a powerful Naval force in the 15th century and beat Europeans back to their borders before colonizing the Americas. In 1936, the Asian version of Dr. Seuss starts publishing books with characterized caucasians dressed in tunics sporting massive eyes and big bushy beards, probably with sloped shoulders and dangling ape arms.

A shoe on the other foot laces up backwards.

Colin

Bushrat
03-05-2021, 06:26 PM
In 1936, the Asian version of Dr. Seuss starts publishing books with characterized caucasians dressed in tunics sporting massive eyes and big bushy beards, probably with sloped shoulders and dangling ape arms.

A shoe on the other foot laces up backwards.

Colin

And that would bother you? Make you feel like a victim of racism or bigotry? If so you need to turn your sensitivity dial down a few turns...

colroggal
03-05-2021, 07:45 PM
And that would bother you? Make you feel like a victim of racism or bigotry? If so you need to turn your sensitivity dial down a few turns...

I'm glad you can pretend it wouldn't bother you.

I'm not saying we need to grovel in the dirt, beg for forgiveness and make reparations, but we need to just simply recognize what was once ok is no longer very cool any more.

Colin

tri777
03-05-2021, 08:24 PM

I'm not saying we need to grovel in the dirt, beg for forgiveness and make reparations, but we need to just simply recognize what was once ok is no longer very cool any more.

Colin
Can you quote me something from seuss that bothers you, i'm completely in the dark here on this matter.

thumper
03-05-2021, 11:21 PM
Isn't that a Haida tattoo on Trudeau's arm? Weren't Haidas big-time slave traders at one time?

colroggal
03-06-2021, 04:37 AM
Can you quote me something from seuss that bothers you, i'm completely in the dark here on this matter.

I never said anything in Dr Seuss bothers me. I did say that I can understand how it would bother some people. I also said it should be kept in the light to allow open dialogue about bigotry and racism.

Colin

NCC
03-06-2021, 06:40 AM
Isn’t “Horton Hears a Who” all about inclusion? It’s the original All Lives Matter. I find it hard to believe the same author would write other books with subliminal racial biases.

Sporty
03-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Do you honestly believe that the group (his family, as I understand it) who own Dr. Seuss' works willingly and without any behind the scenes coercion decided to stop publishing 2 of the top 10 selling children's books (as per Amazon)? Because if you do, I've got a bridge over the North Sask for sale...

The fact is, many 'liberals' out there have been on a tear lately creating lists of books to target and have been putting pressure on all aspects of the supply chain (author, publisher, book store/website, etc.) to 'save' people from these 'abhorrent' images/texts. I was reading recently about a list of books that they will be pulling from shelves in school libraries (if I remember correctly) Ontario due to their various racist reasons, including the Little House on the Prairie.

Fair enough, you say. Bad racial stereotypes have no place in these books anymore. Of course not! Think of all the damage that is being done to our children to see an image of "Nazzim of Bazzim" riding a "Spazzim!" Or to see an image of a chinese man wearing a traditional hat eating with chopsticks! The horror!

But enough sarcasm. How long until 'they' have decided that many or most of Dr. Seuss' works have some type of racism? 2 years? 5 years? And what about other great works of fiction or art? Where do you draw the line and who gets to decide where it is drawn? The yardsticks are constantly on the move, to the point that you won't be able to sneeze soon without someone pointing and calling you racist.

It is incredibly telling that so many people these days are so worried about some perceived 'harm' that can be done by an image in a book or movie that we are willing to erase it from our common knowledge rather than view it with a critical eye or be willing to have open and honest conversations about it. And the most common response to this these days seems to be to throw up some strawman argument about 'white privilege' and try to attack the person who is making the argument rather than to actually try and come up with some type of counterpoint.

"First they came..."

As far as I can tell, the 6 books that will no longer be published haven't made any top lists of children's books anywhere. I and my children after, read a lot of Dr. Seuss and the six books in question weren't part of those readings compared to The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, etc.

While I may not agree with people actively seeking out ways to apply racism to literature from the past to today's standards, it also doesn't bother me that these books aren't going to be published. Who knows, maybe they didn't really make money since they weren't very popular to begin with. Today's society is always looking for something to be offended over. Present company included.

All-Time Bestselling Children's Books

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/28595-all-time-bestselling-children-s-books.html

nitro
03-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Isn’t “Horton Hears a Who” all about inclusion? It’s the original All Lives Matter. I find it hard to believe the same author would write other books with subliminal racial biases.

Oh Horton Hears a Who is problematic to .Have a look at this link if you think it is stopping with just the 6 books or just Dr. Seuss.There has been a few books actually removed this week from book sellers and in Amazons case if you had already bought the book was in some cases actually removed from their Kindle .
Remember and their literature states it clearly "it not did racism occur in this interaction ,but how did racism manifest its self "

https://sophia.stkate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1050&context=rdyl

Regardless of the intention of the book, the impact is that it reinforces themes of White
supremacy, Orientalism, and White saviorism. It positions the Whos in a deficit-based
framework as the dominant, paternalistic Horton enacts the White Savior Industrial Complex

In the book, the Whos are “helpless” and need to be “saved” and protected by the bigger,
more powerful (White savior), Horton. Minear explains that the Who’s miniature size can be
read to symbolize “the Japanese as small people needing instruction in democracy—which of
course was the operative premise of the American occupation”

Another problematic aspect of this story is the insistence on the Whos having to prove
their existence so they won’t be killed. Horton commands the Mayor of the Whos: “You’ve got
to prove now that you are really there!/... You very small persons will not have to die/ If you
make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!” The responsibility of whether or not the
Whos get killed is placed on the Whos themselves, not their aggressors. There is no action taken
to challenge or defend against the violent threats of the kangaroos and monkeys who want to kill
them. As in today’s racial context, people of color are forced to prove their right to life and that
their lives “matter.” When violently killed, people of color, and especially Black people, are
often blamed for their own deaths, while White perpetrators of crimes against them are often not
held accountable

nitro
03-06-2021, 10:19 AM

Colin

That is whats going on right now though ,struggle sessions at work and school ,Biden "looking at reparations . Kneeling at sports games and places last year washing feet.
Where is your breaking point where you ,yourself will say enough they have gone to far ?

Bushleague
03-06-2021, 11:48 AM
So true. It was the TV up to a couple years ago. Now they are controlling people with cell phones and the use of apps to dumb down the populations.

Frank Zappa said it best in these lyrics.

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed and deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set
~~~

Now I hear that all the major airlines have to update all their planes too. Now a commercial plane can no longer have only a cockpit. Half of the pilot's cabin must be retrofitted with a box office too. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

To be fair though, Frank Zappa said pretty much everything the best. More to the point, also from the great man himself.

“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

On the media... "People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read.”

colroggal
03-06-2021, 02:55 PM
That is whats going on right now though ,struggle sessions at work and school ,Biden "looking at reparations . Kneeling at sports games and places last year washing feet.
Where is your breaking point where you ,yourself will say enough they have gone to far ?

Oh, I believe they have already gone too far.

tri777
03-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Move over Dr.Seuss, there's a new cancel victim in town..

‘New York Times’ Columnist Raises A Stink By Claiming Pepé LePew ‘Normalized Rape Culture’
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/new-york-times-columnist-raises-a-stink-by-claiming-pep%c3%a9-lepew-normalized-rape-culture/ar-BB1ejBD6?ocid=iehp&li=AAggNb9

colroggal
03-07-2021, 05:53 PM
move over dr.seuss, there's a new cancel victim in town..

‘new york times’ columnist raises a stink by claiming pepé lepew ‘normalized rape culture’
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/new-york-times-columnist-raises-a-stink-by-claiming-pep%c3%a9-lepew-normalized-rape-culture/ar-bb1ejbd6?ocid=iehp&li=aaggnb9

f.m.g....

bobtodrick
03-07-2021, 06:04 PM
As far as I can tell, the 6 books that will no longer be published haven't made any top lists of children's books anywhere. I and my children after, read a lot of Dr. Seuss and the six books in question weren't part of those readings compared to The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, etc.

While I may not agree with people actively seeking out ways to apply racism to literature from the past to today's standards, it also doesn't bother me that these books aren't going to be published. Who knows, maybe they didn't really make money since they weren't very popular to begin with. Today's society is always looking for something to be offended over. Present company included.

All-Time Bestselling Children's Books

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/28595-all-time-bestselling-children-s-books.html

Exactly...no one forced them to stop publishing these titles. I think it started out as a financial decision and then the social media zealots got hold of it and turned it into a conspiracy...oh, wait...that never happens :thinking-006:

Grizzly Adams
03-07-2021, 06:06 PM

Colin

When I signed up for my China trip, we were told we would regularly be referred to as Big Noses. We used to call them Slant Eyes in a different time.

Grizz

nelsonob1
03-07-2021, 06:40 PM
CBC Market Place did a expose on Friday of racism in real estate valuations. They got six different appraisers to value the same house, for a asian, black and white owner. Two appraisals for each ethnicity. The house was a $2 million home in Toronto.

None of the appraisers went in the home due to covid. They had to use photos and an exterior inspection.

The range in opinion of value was $1.7 to $2.1 mlilon. The black couple got the lowest and highest value. The other appraisals were in between.

The conclusion of this absurd sample was that it proved racist bias. They actually had some professor to make this point. My 12 yr old understands that there is no statistical significance to a sample of six. None. But apparently basic math is not a skill set in the CBC.

Our society is crumbling before us. The idiots have taken over and this is just the beginning.

hal53
03-07-2021, 07:05 PM
The most over used word in the English language in the 21st century is "racist"

jungleboy
03-07-2021, 07:12 PM
I would bet good money that I could get 6 different realtors to give me a market evaluation on my house and there would be a similar spread in the numbers percentage wise.
The guy that gives you the highest evaluation is most likely the one who will come back to you a month after it is listed and tell you, you are priced too high.

Not a race issue at all, just how life is, not all realtors see things in the same light ...who knew?

Albertadiver
03-09-2021, 09:06 AM
And now they've banned Pepe Le Pew. My word.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-03-08/pepe-le-pew-cut-from-space-jam-sequel

First of all, why do the press even report this garbage? Second, well, I guess I'm just speechless and at a loss of how bizarre things are these days.

bobtodrick
03-09-2021, 09:48 AM
And now they've banned Pepe Le Pew. My word.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-03-08/pepe-le-pew-cut-from-space-jam-sequel

First of all, why do the press even report this garbage? Second, well, I guess I'm just speechless and at a loss of how bizarre things are these days.

You and me both.

DoePolicyAnalyst
03-09-2021, 11:58 AM
Exactly...no one forced them to stop publishing these titles. I think it started out as a financial decision and then the social media zealots got hold of it and turned it into a conspiracy...oh, wait...that never happens :thinking-006:

From the National Post: "As of March 2, which also happens to be the author’s birthday, both books ('If I Ran the Zoo' and 'And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street') remained in the top 10 most popular children’s titles on Amazon.com." Source:https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/books/here-are-the-wrong-illustrations-that-got-six-dr-seuss-books-cancelled

From Reuters: "Dr. Seuss Enterprises said it worked with a panel of experts, including educators, to review its catalog and made the decision last year to end publication and licensing." Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-seuss-idUSKCN2AU26H

The highly politicized event that I believe 'triggered' this whole event was also discussed in the Reuters article: "The controversy over Dr. Seuss imagery has simmered for years. In 2017, then-first lady Melania Trump offered a donation of 10 Dr. Seuss books to a Cambridge, Massachusetts, school. Its librarian turned down the gift, saying images criticized as “racist propaganda and harmful stereotypes” filled their pages."

My guess is that after this negative publicity (to which the librarian was found to be in the wrong in rejecting the donation in the first place, according to a statement by the school district) spurred the Dr. Seuss foundation into overreaction mode and we are seeing the results of that now.

Given the recent Pepe Le Pew news, it really has me thinking about who it is that 'gets' to draw the lines these days as to what is acceptable and what isn't. Sure seems to be a very small (statistically insignificant, even) number of very loud Twitter experts that are having an oversized impact of what we can read or watch or listen to. And that makes me very uncomfortable.

bobtodrick
03-09-2021, 02:17 PM
I’d really like to know how many rapists you’d have to question as to why they committed their crimes to get the answer ‘well, I remember this cartoon skunk constantly trying to woo this cat’ 🤔

NCC
03-09-2021, 03:53 PM
Oh Horton Hears a Who is problematic to .Have a look at this link if you think it is stopping with just the 6 books or just Dr. Seuss.There has been a few books actually removed this week from book sellers and in Amazons case if you had already bought the book was in some cases actually removed from their Kindle .
Remember and their literature states it clearly "it not did racism occur in this interaction ,but how did racism manifest its self "

https://sophia.stkate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1050&context=rdyl

Regardless of the intention of the book, the impact is that it reinforces themes of White
supremacy, Orientalism, and White saviorism. It positions the Whos in a deficit-based
framework as the dominant, paternalistic Horton enacts the White Savior Industrial Complex

In the book, the Whos are “helpless” and need to be “saved” and protected by the bigger,
more powerful (White savior), Horton. Minear explains that the Who’s miniature size can be
read to symbolize “the Japanese as small people needing instruction in democracy—which of
course was the operative premise of the American occupation”

Another problematic aspect of this story is the insistence on the Whos having to prove
their existence so they won’t be killed. Horton commands the Mayor of the Whos: “You’ve got
to prove now that you are really there!/... You very small persons will not have to die/ If you
make yourselves heard! So come on, now, and TRY!” The responsibility of whether or not the
Whos get killed is placed on the Whos themselves, not their aggressors. There is no action taken
to challenge or defend against the violent threats of the kangaroos and monkeys who want to kill
them. As in today’s racial context, people of color are forced to prove their right to life and that
their lives “matter.” When violently killed, people of color, and especially Black people, are
often blamed for their own deaths, while White perpetrators of crimes against them are often not
held accountable

Sounds like Horton should have just let the Who's figure things out for themselves or burn.

I don't think many 8 year old brains are going to put that symbolism together.

colroggal
03-09-2021, 06:15 PM
I’d really like to know how many rapists you’d have to question as to why they committed their crimes to get the answer ‘well, I remember this cartoon skunk constantly trying to woo this cat’ 🤔

And I always thought Pepe Lepew was meant to make fun of the French.

I'm French - among other things - but I'd say my hygiene is at least above average. However, I do have a couple of cousins who could stand a dunk in the trough.

Colin

Mr Flyguy
03-09-2021, 07:58 PM
And I always thought Pepe Lepew was meant to make fun of the French.

I'm French - among other things - but I'd say my hygiene is at least above average. However, I do have a couple of cousins who could stand a dunk in the trough.

Colin

Like this lady? :sHa_shakeshout:

"...Mademoiselle from from Armentieres
Never been kissed in 20 years
Hinky dinky parlez-vous"

Badgerbadger
03-09-2021, 08:03 PM
Interesting responses, considering how reaction to being called "sewer rats" and "embarassing cousins" went over.

NCC
03-10-2021, 11:34 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210310/bc287432ccb767f13a1926c3380b8686.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albertadiver
03-10-2021, 01:14 PM
Time for the bandwagon to REALLY get rolling!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7687881/disney-plus-peter-pan-dumbo-cancel/

Now it's Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Aristocats, Swiss Family Robinson, Lady and the Tramp and The Jungle Book.

Speedy Gonzales is spared for the time being, so hey, there's that.

Mr Flyguy
03-10-2021, 05:31 PM
Time for the bandwagon to REALLY get rolling!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7687881/disney-plus-peter-pan-dumbo-cancel/

Now it's Dumbo, Peter Pan, The Aristocats, Swiss Family Robinson, Lady and the Tramp and The Jungle Book.

Speedy Gonzales is spared for the time being, so hey, there's that.

Will likely add "Song of the South" to the list. Remember Uncle Remus singing "Zip pa di doo dah, zip pa di day"?

mstefoniuk
03-10-2021, 06:10 PM
truley sad, the message that this is sending!

nitro
03-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Will likely add "Song of the South" to the list. Remember Uncle Remus singing "Zip pa di doo dah, zip pa di day"?

Speaking at Disney’s annual shareholders meeting, Iger responded to an audience question about whether the full Disney library one day will appear on the service by affirming that particular movie is “not appropriate in today’s world” and won’t be rereleased.

Rvsask
03-11-2021, 05:45 AM
I agree, it is somewhat silly. However, it is what it is and the publisher made the decision.

What I find even more silly though is all the crying about "cancel culture". It could be said the other side has tried and done the same thing. There is a list of all books with a ban or an attempt for removal here in Canada, including Alberta. Ex. Of Mice and Men, Harry Potter etc.

Smoky buck
03-11-2021, 06:23 AM
Just imagine what the human race could accomplish if we quit focusing on abolishing things that might offend someone unintentionally and put that effort into real problems :thinking-006:

I can understand speaking out intentionally racist things but it seems like people are trying way to hard to make things racist

I swear the average IQ in North America is declining at an alarming rate. If it continues people in society won’t be smart enough to wipe their own butts

It’s Embarrassing

58thecat
03-11-2021, 08:06 AM
the pendulum of life is caught in a poop storm....about to come unhinged….I just hope the lake trout don't pull a card on me when I am out on the ice surrounded by ice holes.....:)

walker1
03-11-2021, 02:53 PM
My 17 year old son bought 2 at Indigo the other day. Posted on ebay and sold one south of the border for 430 bones!!!!!
He is saving the other . He has been buying box sets of Pokemon cards and sells locally. It is funny seeing people coming buying these . He sent many to PSA for grading. I am thinking of flipping some of my hockey cards as I have everything but a 99 rookie from 79-84.
Glad he is studying business next year at U of C or Mt. Royal!!!!!