PDA

View Full Version : Smart Watches

Rig-Rat
03-03-2021, 11:51 AM
Looking at getting a smart watch, I know some guys love watches, me I like the tech stuff. Think would be handy at times when I don't want to drag the phone along. There are so many choices. I have an Android Galaxy phone, so thinking the Galaxy Watch 3. Is there a watch that is good for hunting? What are you using? Pro's / Cons. Was looking at the Huawei but seen in reviews, can't use half the features in Canada, The Fossil looks nice but hear the battery life is trash. Always something. Thanks for any info.

Cigarguy
03-03-2021, 11:56 AM
As Google is prone to do, Google have all but given up on Android for smart devices OS. Most of the new phones these days are using outdated Google software. As much as I'm not a fan of Apple, that might be something to think about.

Wish the Flames would get a watch or 2 as then maybe they would start on time and play for 60 minutes.

Rig-Rat
03-03-2021, 12:21 PM
As Google is prone to do, Google have all but given up on Android for smart devices OS. Most of the new phones these days are using outdated Google software. As much as I'm not a fan of Apple, that might be something to think about.

Wish the Flames would get a watch or 2 as then maybe they would start on time and play for 60 minutes.

If I had an iPhone would be a no brainer for sure. The Galaxy Watch will work with an iPhone but of course not the other way around.

You and me both but that doesn't look to be the case this season.

doublehaul
03-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Fossil continually disconnects from apple phones
Two of my kids have

Third kid with Samsung = no issues

Wouldn’t you have to keep your phone handy anyway?
Or are you talking meters

Rig-Rat
03-03-2021, 01:54 PM
Fossil continually disconnects from apple phones
Two of my kids have

Third kid with Samsung = no issues

Wouldn’t you have to keep your phone handy anyway?
Or are you talking meters

The Galaxy 3 has 8 gig storage so can download songs and listen on a bike ride without phone. Stuff like that. I am reading now that a lot of the health features my not be available in Canada. Why can't we have full availability to technology in Canada. Drives me crazy. So still looking into options.

wildwoods
03-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Non SIM card watch- I love my garmin forerunner. Amazing data it analyses and super comfortable. I wear it to bed every night to monitor sleep too.

Gerald_G
03-03-2021, 02:31 PM
I have a Garmin Fenix 3 - loved it. Could count laps at the pool. GPS hikes. All sorts of cool functions. Then the battery started lasting less and less. Guess how much Garmin wants to replace the battery....

"Standard Ship - You would ship your device to us, and we would then ship out a replacement. The device is out of warranty, the cost would be $261 CAD + tax.

Immediate Ship - We would ship out the replacement device first, there is an additional deposit required. The deposit would be double the replacement cost, which would amount to $522 CAD + tax."

ak77
03-03-2021, 04:28 PM
Depends on what you expect from your watch. If you want the 'phone on the wrist" - that's one thing. If your expectations are somewhat lower/different - totally different story.

I picked up Huawei watch for myself few month back. Moreso of the sport/health monitoring watch than actual smart watch. Battery holds almost 2 weeks. Still able to answer phone calls, just need to have phone connected. Read messaged.

I am liking it so far. Would buy again. Don't want eatch looking smart phone on my wrist.

Ken07AOVette
03-03-2021, 04:45 PM
I have 2 galaxy smart watches. One has a slot for a simcard so you do not have to carry your phone at all, or can link bluetooth to your phone. The other links with bluetooth. I dont use either because they are too small for my wrist. :angry3:

They are the Gear 2 and Gear S.

Gear 2 was $349, Gear S was $599 new, $400 on sale. Make a reasonable offer if you are interested in either.

hilt134
03-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Last I checked about three months ago the samsung galaxy watch 3 was unavailable with gps in Canada. Also the health monitoring stuff is also largely unavailable. Just check out some decent reviews even if you aren’t after thoes features your still paying for them. It would be a pretty big switch but the Apple Watch 6 is brilliant so fat

Sleddawg
03-03-2021, 07:05 PM
If you do anything outdoors and want to track it plus fitness I highly recommend a Garmin. Rocked an Apple Watch for 6 years and although I did like it it needed to be charged every night. Was annoying. I know you dont have an iPhone so its not an option. But I have had my Fenix 6 for 4 months now and its amazing. Stores 2,000 songs on it for use with bluetooth headphones, dont have to drag a phone along for runs or outdoor activity. Battery life is about 9 days using it for 2 hours of fitness tracking per day. Can go into battery saver mode and shut off lots of features and it showed me 59 days of battery life, takes about 2-3 hours to charge. Lots of features anyways. Too many to list

wmd
03-03-2021, 07:45 PM
love my garmin fenix

Hooter
03-03-2021, 08:29 PM
Garmin Felix 5 Plus. Does everything I want and more. Golf, hiking, biking, fitness, and even tells me the time of day. 😁