PDA

View Full Version : Used ATV Prices

DiabeticKripple
03-04-2021, 12:06 PM
I’m looking around on kijiji for a used ATV, and man the prices on these machines is insane.

A 6-7 year old yamaha grizzly with anywhere from 0-3000km is going for just under 10 grand, when a new 2021 EPS SE is 14 grand.

Is it me or does that just seem ridiculous? or are used ATV’s holding their value that good?

elkhunter11
03-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Welcome to covid pricing, all recreational vehicle prices are greatly inflated since last spring. People aren't traveling, so they are spending their money at home, which has created a huge demand. Add in manufacturing issues caused by covid, and the resulting shortage of new machines, and the demand for used is even higher.

HVA7mm
03-04-2021, 12:13 PM
It's the COVID tax. Due to the current COVID travel restrictions and the inability to travel freely to the usual vacation destinations, everything related to recreation (fun) has gone through the roof. Recreational property, RV's, ATV's, sleds, motorcycles, boats etc.

The odd good deal can still be found, however they get snapped up almost instantly and frequently flipped for a higher price.

Buckhead
03-04-2021, 12:15 PM
Covid and CERB money prices. There is a shortage of lots of things not just ATV's.
Used junk is selling for more than people paid new because you can't find new or you might have to wait 6 months for one to be built.

marlin1
03-04-2021, 12:24 PM
noticed it too . quad with issues for 3k ?? Guess I got a smoking deal on my honda 500 2012 for 3k a couple years back before the plandemic :)

nick0danger
03-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Sold 2 sleds for double what I bought em for last winter, and I was not looking to sell!

1shotwade
03-04-2021, 12:32 PM
I have a 1996 honda foreman 400 that is well looked after my daughter loves it. I have been offered lots more than I paid for it 4 years ago than I paid!!

does it ALL outdoors
03-04-2021, 12:40 PM
Sold 2 sleds for double what I bought em for last winter, and I was not looking to sell!

Was gonna say sleds are trading for roughly double what they were a year or two ago.

A good friend bought an early 2000's Polaris RMK just before the pandemic, it had all the right things already done to it like clutch kit, raised handlebars and a high compression head, he got it for $1700 and that was even a bit on the high side a few years ago. Bone stock they are trading in the $3500 range right now.

About double.

Ca-RAY-zee!

Pixel Shooter
03-04-2021, 12:51 PM
Almost makes me want to sell my 12 yr old grizzly with like 800 km on it lmao but then one has to re-purchase ughhhh. Many dealers don’t even have stock. Supply and demand

tri777
03-04-2021, 12:55 PM
Almost makes me want to sell my 12 yr old grizzly with like 800 km on it lmao but then one has to re-purchase ughhhh. Many dealers don’t even have stock. Supply and demand

Near same situation for me with my Bruteforce as yours, Quad stock market is high, lol.

huntinstuff
03-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Ive been offered a lot for my quad

I can get a new 2021 honda 420 manual shift in Fairview for $8200

walker1
03-04-2021, 01:28 PM
The C19 reality for sure.
Sold both my boys honda dirt bikes last fall and probably could have gotten more but was fine with the deals.
My quad will stay put. Thanks to a member here I bought a nice drift boat this week. I love the toys!!!!!!!

Will have a pontoon up for sale here soon.

Stinky Buffalo
03-04-2021, 01:42 PM
Ive been offered a lot for my quad

I can get a new 2021 honda 420 manual shift in Fairview for $8200

That's the thing - I don't need anything fancy, happy with manual shift, and I'm not a speed freak. At the current prices of used ones, ones such as the one you mentioned may be a better choice for people like me.

wildwoods
03-04-2021, 02:19 PM
Sold a boat I had for 6 years. I got $1000 more out of it than I paid. Unreal. I am selling my fifth wheel and expect good things there too

nick0danger
03-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Was gonna say sleds are trading for roughly double what they were a year or two ago.

A good friend bought an early 2000's Polaris RMK just before the pandemic, it had all the right things already done to it like clutch kit, raised handlebars and a high compression head, he got it for $1700 and that was even a bit on the high side a few years ago. Bone stock they are trading in the $3500 range right now.

About double.

Ca-RAY-zee!

Both were Skidoo Grand touring 500's from 2002, bought both for just under $5000, sold each for $5000 even.

JohnB
03-04-2021, 05:07 PM
Covid tax. Time to sell my 1999 fourtrax.

Grizzly Adams
03-04-2021, 05:14 PM

I was tempted to upgrade, but what you make on the sale, you're going to lose on the buy. Pure junk is worth a couple of grand.

Grizz

hayseed
03-04-2021, 05:21 PM
Yep today I saw an 1986, yes 1986 Honda Fourtrax for sale.

No brakes at all, rear diff is pooched. So just front wheel drive, and only one wheel will spin.

35 years old, 3 grand firm.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

DiabeticKripple
03-04-2021, 05:59 PM
With the way prices are now, if you can afford it you would be better off buying new.

jstubbs
03-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Yep today I saw an 1986, yes 1986 Honda Fourtrax for sale.

No brakes at all, rear diff is pooched. So just front wheel drive, and only one wheel will spin.

35 years old, 3 grand firm.

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I saw the same one and was going to post about it HAAHAHAH!

Dean2
03-04-2021, 07:33 PM
I have sold a pile of surplus stuff over the past year. It moves very quickly and you get premium prices. Freezers to quads it is all the same story. Anyone who is looking for big ticket items, like TVs, vehicles, major appliances etc would be well advised to find the best deal they can on a new one and buy now. We are at the beginning of what is going to be a super inflationary period. A house in Vancouver just sold for 900,000 more than the asking price, and we are just getting started.

KBF
03-04-2021, 08:01 PM
In 2009 I bought a Brute Force 750 that was 3 years old for 5200. In last 6 months I’ve seen the same year machines for the same asking price.

Sooner
03-05-2021, 12:03 PM
With the way prices are now, if you can afford it you would be better off buying new.

I agree, like your first post states, buying a used Grizz is not worth it when you get new for 4G more, warranty and no one else has rode it.

But the supply for new is lacking, was in Riverside today, waiting list, Martin Motorsports, same. Got to put down a deposit and wait for their next batch of stock to come in.

Dean2
03-05-2021, 12:07 PM
I agree, like your first post states, buying a used Grizz is not worth it when you get new for 4G more, warranty and no one else has rode it.

But the supply for new is lacking, was in Riverside today, waiting list, Martin Motorsports, same. Got to put down a deposit and wait for their next batch of stock to come in.

So did you actually put down a deposit and are they telling you what the actual purchase price will be on the next batch and wait time? I am betting a year from now the new ones will have gone up a LOT.

Dean2
03-09-2021, 12:37 PM
Exactly to the poitns being made on this thread: Was looking in the AO buy and sell. Honda 420ES Rancher, 12 years old, admittedly in pristine share with only 900 klms, but a firm asking price of $7,900. Brand new 2021 420 Rancher, the MSRP in Alberta is $8,100, plus freight and GST, so $9,200 all in.. I would definitely wait for delivery before I paid only a $1300 less for a 12 year old one.

TBark
03-09-2021, 12:49 PM
Should go back to the days when we could reply to the buy-sell.
Inform folks where their prices should be, Just for the fun of it, ha.

TBark

Kawibunga
03-09-2021, 12:59 PM
It's any thing recreational. RV's going for above asking price. Quads, old dirtbikes! I'm looking for a bigger bike for my 14 year old. Was looking for another KDX200. Bought one for my 16 year old 2 years ago for $1800. Won't find one now less than $3500 if you can find one. Guys wanting 3K+ for any old beater dirtbike from the late 80s.....

Coworker just sold his tracker fishing boat he bought close to 10 years ago for 3K more than he paid new.......... If you got toys that you ain't going to be using. Time to move them!

I've accepted the fact that I'll be paying 2K more for a used bike than I had hoped, and that I should have held on to my Brute Force 650 one more year :)

jungleboy
03-09-2021, 01:00 PM

TBark

Yes , that’s what this site needs , more opportunities to take pot shots at each other.

Dean2
03-09-2021, 01:05 PM

TBark
I hear you, but I think this is a case of someone who doesn't really need to sell. If he can get his price, good, he can then go out and buy a brand new quad. If there isn't someone in a big hurry willing to pay stupid no wait price, he just holds onto it. Like I said earlier, we sold an 8 Cubic foot chest freezer in next to new condition for $50 more than we paid for it new 6 years ago and it went in 3 hours. I checked the price of new 8 Cubers, and delivery time was 4 months, so priced it high because Kijiji buyers always seem to want some kind of a discount. Had 2 dozen calls within a couple of hours, told them first guy on the doorstep with cash can load it up and haul it away.

I really think what we are seeing is a combination of very short supply of many things and people with a ton of spare cash because there is next to nothing to spend money on. Prices have already climbed, I really think prices are going to shoot up over the next 24 months.

Sooner
03-09-2021, 01:46 PM
So did you actually put down a deposit and are they telling you what the actual purchase price will be on the next batch and wait time? I am betting a year from now the new ones will have gone up a LOT.

I have talked to most of the dealers I asked about in another thread, the rest will be in the next day or two. Then it is email time to get them to price it and give me their all in price, which will include the extras I want, pdi, freight and tax. Then I guess I better decide quick and drop that deposit with one of them.

Dean2
03-09-2021, 02:06 PM
I have talked to most of the dealers I asked about in another thread, the rest will be in the next day or two. Then it is email time to get them to price it and give me their all in price, which will include the extras I want, pdi, freight and tax. Then I guess I better decide quick and drop that deposit with one of them.

Did you get any sense of what the wait time for delivery is. My brother is thinking of trading up so I may be in the market to buy him one here that he can pickup when he is out next time.

Fwee6
03-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Exactly to the poitns being made on this thread: Was looking in the AO buy and sell. Honda 420ES Rancher, 12 years old, admittedly in pristine share with only 900 klms, but a firm asking price of $7,900. Brand new 2021 420 Rancher, the MSRP in Alberta is $8,100, plus freight and GST, so $9,200 all in.. I would definitely wait for delivery before I paid only a $1300 less for a 12 year old one.

I guess you're not gonna buy my quad then...

A little detail for ya:
- The wheels and tires on my quad are worth $1500.
- The winch is another $500

When comparing to your 2021 reference previously, comparing apples : apples might he helpful. Every manufacturer's bare bone model is cheaper, and likely the only machines in stock right now. If you wanna wait 6+ months for something, fill your boots.

ehrgeiz
03-10-2021, 03:12 PM
Wonder if we'll see a surplus of machines/boats once international travel is open again. Not sure if anything is going to get cheaper though.

Hmm to buy now or wait and see. Tough to say.

wildwoods
03-10-2021, 04:35 PM
Wonder if we'll see a surplus of machines/boats once international travel is open again. Not sure if anything is going to get cheaper though.

Hmm to buy now or wait and see. Tough to say.

Problem is most are financing and need to get out what they have owing on their machines. I would say prices will keep climbing and stay yet.

Another aspect is inflation. Printing all this money to pay for able bodied people to stay home has and will put a strain on pricing (inflation). It has to. Expect to see life continue to become more expensive as we go here.

EdmontonEli
03-10-2021, 05:37 PM
Laws of supply and demand.

Plus the upcoming inflation due to the amount of money printed off.

The Elkster
03-10-2021, 05:50 PM
I suspect we'll see some reversal once travel starts opening up and gov't support tapers off. There has been billions and billions in international travel spending that has been diverted to local recreational spending. I mean what does the average family spend on a winter vacay? 10k or more? that stayed in Canada and most of that (which was disposable income) was likely spent in Canada this year. That isn't going to stay that way indefinitely.

Anecdotally I heard that at least one travel agency was already booking cruises out to 2023 as they are slammed. And that is with the germ factory that is cruises. Next year is going to be an absolute free for all with all the stir crazy snowbirds looking to stretch their legs in the US and Mexico. And that is large spending that is going to come out of the local economy...

Interest rates are likely also on the way up taking the shine off financed toys. I expect in a year or two a lot of these newly bought toys are going to find their way back on the market. With booms always come busts.

Canuck_hunter
03-10-2021, 10:24 PM
I was going to buy a new Honda this year but I have to think when things start to crash in the next 12 to 24 months they will be going for a large discount. I can wait

Dean2
03-11-2021, 08:15 AM

A little detail for ya:

When comparing to your 2021 reference previously, comparing apples : apples might he helpful. Every manufacturer's bare bone model is cheaper, and likely the only machines in stock right now. If you wanna wait 6+ months for something, fill your boots.

I hope the current environment turns up someone who sees the value proposition you are offering but you are correct, that guy sure isn't going to be me. Just to be clear, you are the one that posted the model of your quad, I just compared it to the new price of the same model today, at full MSRP with delivery and tax. Not sure how you get more apple to apple than that. Just so you know, new Honda Quad is available in April if I order today, so about 1 month, not 6. Same is true of the Yamaha.

I really so wish you the best of luck, value is in the eye of the beholder and in this environment you may very well get your asking price.

GENINC
03-11-2021, 03:20 PM

A little detail for ya:

Yeah good luck convincing any potential buyers that a 14% depreciation on a 12 year old vehicle is the norm compared to a new one.

Fwee6
03-11-2021, 04:06 PM
Yeah good luck convincing any potential buyers that a 14% depreciation on a 12 year old vehicle is the norm compared to a new one.

Appreciate the good luck.

Fish along
03-11-2021, 04:45 PM
I've been noticing this trend as well,ridiculous prices ,I was looking at an old 200M Honda trike ,84 I think 3 grand, lol I don't believe anyone would be interested, of course that's just what I think.

jungleboy
03-11-2021, 05:11 PM
I suspect we'll see some reversal once travel starts opening up and gov't support tapers off. There has been billions and billions in international travel spending that has been diverted to local recreational spending. I mean what does the average family spend on a winter vacay? 10k or more? that stayed in Canada and most of that (which was disposable income) was likely spent in Canada this year. That isn't going to stay that way indefinitely.

Anecdotally I heard that at least one travel agency was already booking cruises out to 2023 as they are slammed. And that is with the germ factory that is cruises. Next year is going to be an absolute free for all with all the stir crazy snowbirds looking to stretch their legs in the US and Mexico. And that is large spending that is going to come out of the local economy...

Interest rates are likely also on the way up taking the shine off financed toys. I expect in a year or two a lot of these newly bought toys are going to find their way back on the market. With booms always come busts.

I thought the same thing and was talking to the local dealer about that. I mentioned that I suspected a lot of people would be trying to get out of machines they over financed. He said most people were buying straight up and not that many were financed more than normal.

Map Maker
03-11-2021, 05:42 PM

One missing piece is that your machine has power steering. That is a $2300 option for a new Honda rancher.
A value of a new 2021 with power steering, winch and $1500 extra tires would be about $13,000.
You are selling at 60%.

If all my assumptions are correct, its a fair deal on today’s market.
No luck involved 🙂

IL Bar
03-11-2021, 05:57 PM

Hold firm and let these guys yip all they want. You don’t need good luck. You’ll get your price. I have a feeling these new quads that are to show up won’t. Supposed shortage of soldered electrical items now. I had a piece of farm equipment that I ordered in January that as of 2 days ago was due to come in next week and got postponed to the end of May this morning. I needed it for May. We are going to see this in more sectors.

Smokey
03-11-2021, 05:58 PM
Used Junk is Prone to a Covid tax.

I bought a used truck in April when everyone was scared and dealers were trying to keep employees paid. I bet I could sell it today for 4k more.

I looked for a boat a month back. That lasted a couple days. I have looking for mountain bikes, but 1 to 2 year used ones are going for more then new listed price.

Kijiji is for entertainment to see what people think things are worth. Guys trying to sell 2003 GMC trucks for 8k with 300k. You just smile and keep scrolling.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Savage Bacon
03-12-2021, 06:46 AM
I have a 2014 can-am outlander 450. Might actually be a 2015 I can't remember. Has a winch and bumpers. I'd like to sell it for enough money to fund a new quad I want to buy. (I don't mind waiting a couple weeks until it's available) And I'd also like to be able to buy some gear, and have enough left over to take the family out for the weekend, and buy another revolver I've been looking at.

Let the bidding wars begin!!

:party0051:

big zeke
03-12-2021, 01:15 PM
With the looine hitting $.80 and the possibility of the border opening up eventually, it might be worthwhile looking at US dealers. When I bought my current Grizzly, the loonie was near par and one outfit in Montana was about 30% cheaper all in than anyone locally.

The RIV process was surprisingly easy and it was a quick daytrip to save several grand and get the color I wanted.

Might be something to consider.

BTW, used prices are nuts, I wouldn't even consider used.
Zeke