PDA

View Full Version : Home Internet/TV

Brankon
03-04-2021, 03:21 PM
I've posted before on here that I'm planning on purchasing a home in the near future. I am wondering about internet or internet/tv service providers, I can live without tv and just have good internet considering the cheaper cost of having a streaming service or 2, unless the price is reasonable for both then I'd go with that.

I've heard great and bad stories about many service providers and would like some input before I start looking into pricing on one that will cause me grief down the road

nimrod
03-04-2021, 05:53 PM
Wen are in the Camrose county, we have shaw satellite, and xplorenet for internet, we are happy with what we have.

Red Bullets
03-05-2021, 01:10 AM
You don't need cable if you have internet and a good TV that you can hook up to your computer. You can watch several free TV websites on your TV.

CptnBlues63
03-05-2021, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure if this still applies back back before moving to AB in 2005 I was living in Saskatoon and had Shaw cable for my internet provider. I was able to put a splitter on the line where it entered my home (one in, four out) and ran one to my cablemodem and the other to my TV. I was able to get the basic cable channels at no additional cost.

If you have shaw cable available where you're moving, this may still work. I know if it were available where I live I'd get rid of my satellite and do that in a second. I like to watch Jeopardy every day and I have yet to see it on a streaming service. So yeah, if I could get basic cable TV and internet for one price, I would be happy because I'd still have my Netflix and Prime for all the stuff we like to stream.

32-40win
03-05-2021, 01:03 PM
For my needs, the Telus 15 internet plan works, I use about 110-115GB per month, binge watch tv series, movies, forums, etc. it is 90.00/mo now though. In he beginning 10 yrs ago it was 65.00/mo, they probably have some introductory deals on. I find any movies buffering are usually due to where the websites server is, not from this end. A site like Putlocker may be drawing from Openload, switch direct to Openload and no more buffering.

Brankon
03-05-2021, 06:26 PM
I was looking at telus and eastlink yesterday. It seems that between the 2, a guy can't touch internet for any less than $100/ month, eastlink has a internet and tv (30 whopping channels) for $110/ month

I love having tv currently, when I miss an episode of a show that I love and it also accidentally gets deleted from recordings, it is a real PITA to find it online. I do also think that with time a guy will get better at finding the right sites for the right shows. The bonus is when I do have to go online to find the show they also have the next 3 episodes available before I could watch them on tv. I guess it'll have to be a toss up between convenience vs. cost, and what deals may be present when I do actually find a house.

I'm willing to bet that all of the service providers jacked up their prices due to covid, the exact same plan (2yr contract, not sure what it's going to cost after but is now $100/ month) that a family member had signed up for a year ago is now $130/ month and raises to $175/ month after the term is up.

Part of me thinks a time will soon come that people will figure out that these prices are astronomical to be watching commercials about 1/3 of the time you watch tv, coupled with very few good things being on at any given time and end up finding entertainment elsewhere through hobbies and whatnot.

That's the end of my thought process for the evening, time to let the brain rest :lol: