PDA

View Full Version : Rv to utility trailer

slug
03-04-2021, 06:13 PM
So I picked up a holiday trailer , everything worked in it . Got it registered , all good . I went to do some work k it an it led to more work , and more work . Ling story short I have the base for a decent utility trailer . Is there anything I need to do to be legit ? I'm thinking a title change on the registration ? Anyone ever do this and keep it on the road ? Or is it as simple as weld steel for rails , reinstall the lights and enjoy ?

Hooter
03-04-2021, 07:04 PM
So I picked up a holiday trailer , everything worked in it . Got it registered , all good . I went to do some work k it an it led to more work , and more work . Ling story short I have the base for a decent utility trailer . Is there anything I need to do to be legit ? I'm thinking a title change on the registration ? Anyone ever do this and keep it on the road ? Or is it as simple as weld steel for rails , reinstall the lights and enjoy ?

I’m not qualified to give you an informed answer, but my guess would be that you’d need to have it reregistered from a travel trailer to a utility trailer. With that’s said, I’ll bet you could just modify it as you see fit and stick the same license plate on and use it because the chance that a police officer checks to see if that plate belongs to a travel trailer or a utility trailer is pretty small.

Sooner
03-04-2021, 07:07 PM
If you want to be perfectly legal, you can get a new serial number for it. My friend had a custom alum sled trailer built and it was a phone call for an inspection and then they give you a new number to register with.

I'm with Hooter, I have never been asked to provide the registration for my permanent plate.

Hogie135
03-04-2021, 08:27 PM
If you want to be perfectly legal, you can get a new serial number for it. My friend had a custom alum sled trailer built and it was a phone call for an inspection and then they give you a new number to register with.

I'm with Hooter, I have never been asked to provide the registration for my permanent plate.

Also its $500 to have them come inspect and stamp a new VIN on the trailer.

Carriertxv
03-04-2021, 09:20 PM
Also its $500 to have them come inspect and stamp a new VIN on the trailer.

Yup I went through that when trying to sell a really nice homemade trailer a few years ago. Before they changed things I bought it from the guy who made it and it had some numbers that were the serial number for his registration and then mine when I bought it. I sure wasn’t going to pay that money and the guy who bought it from me is using it on his farm with no license.
It’s just a money grab as a friend made a trailer and had it stamped with a VIN. The government employee that did it was a joke.

colroggal
03-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Some years back I converted a small tent trailer into a utility trailer. When it came to the new vin, I assigned it as 001 with the registry. No questions were asked.

Ymmv.

Colin

sako1
03-05-2021, 08:17 AM
I see absolutely no reason to change the vin. Its still the same trailer.