PDA

View Full Version : Selling hockey cards

Positrac
03-04-2021, 09:29 PM
I saw in a news article recently that hockey cards are at an all-time high right now. I’ve got a shoebox I’ve saved with all the old cards I collected from the late 70’s through the early 80’s. Some are mint and others in used condition. I’ve kept them all these years in the off chance my kids would have some interest in them. Sadly, beyond the monetary value they hold no interest for them.

What would be the best way to sell them? Per card I see with a quick search online I’m looking at $2-$10 per card for the half dozen random ones I looked at. There’s a pile of them so finding the time to list each one on EBay doesn’t really tickle my fancy. I imagine there are shops that may be interested in buying the batch but I suppose you would want to inventory each one and have an idea what they are worth otherwise a guy could be out some money.

I can’t find much online but I also have a bunch of other cards in the same box. Some being the first 3 Star Wars movies, ET and Mork & Mindy. Any collectors value in them?

elk eater
03-05-2021, 07:43 AM
EBay is probably your best bet for selling. Kijiji also has a section for Hockey cards.

Most buyers are looking for mint condition cards. When selling on EBay or any platform for that matter in order to get top value you pretty well need to have the card “ graded “.

Many of your cards may still have value but condition is key. If they have been stapled or taped to the wall they are probably a zero. If the corners are bent and rounded they would also be very low grade.

Collectors are also looking for older cards to be centred. Pre 90’s cards were printed and then cut. There was not always a lot of care take and many cards are off centre or the edges are real rough. These cards in good condition still have decent value but again need to be graded for top money.

Kurt505
03-05-2021, 07:59 AM
I have Gretzky’s rookie card, the one that sold for $1.29m it’s not mint but it’s in pretty good condition. I wonder what that’s worth? I got about 300 cards from that era.

funkman
03-05-2021, 09:31 AM
I have Gretzky’s rookie card, the one that sold for $1.29m it’s not mint but it’s in pretty good condition. I wonder what that’s worth? I got about 300 cards from that era.

send it in for grading before its too late...you may have something of value

psacard.com

elk eater
03-05-2021, 06:18 PM

Probably over $1000 if in any kind of shape. Get a value for it and I’ll make you an offer. Been wanting one for 30 years or so.

To scared to buy off eBay. Don’t want to get burned.