PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone booster

antlercarver
03-04-2021, 09:42 PM
Can you recommend a cell phone booster for truck or home. How far from the truck can you be and still use the phone. TKS

notlim
03-05-2021, 09:43 AM
I have several boosters. The ones I have liked the best are from HiBoost. I have one for my truck and trailer. The one I put in the trailer is actually a home booster, they call it the 4k or something like that. works great in the trailer.

As far as the truck one goes. They only work inside the truck. They dont work outside the truck. The reason for this is they have 2 antennas. One antenna to link up to the cell tower. This is on the outside of the truck. One antenna on the inside of the truck to link to your cell phone.

If you were to put the antenna outside the truck the 2 antennas would oscillate and damage the equipment. Basically they try to boost each other and fight each other.

Keep in mine they only work were there is signal. If there is nothing for signal it cant be boosted. I love mine, they work awesome.

Fat wire distribution in Edmonton is where mine came from.

nimrod
03-05-2021, 01:27 PM
If you need a tower for your house, I have a 46 foot tall tower for sale, ,better to get high with the booster

TrollGRG
03-05-2021, 01:54 PM
Please pardon the side step.

If I understand this right, if I am back up in the boonies and can't get a signal on my cell phone then buying a booster of some kind will do me no good at all.

Who Da Fisherman
03-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Please pardon the side step.

If I understand this right, if I am back up in the boonies and can't get a signal on my cell phone then buying a booster of some kind will do me no good at all.

You sir are correct
WDF

TrollGRG
03-05-2021, 07:17 PM
Well there goes that dumb idea. Guess I'll have to go back to smoke signals

Thanks

bukwild
03-06-2021, 08:19 AM
Well there goes that dumb idea. Guess I'll have to go back to smoke signals

Thanks

SpotX you can use for texting by satellite for a reasonable price.

Check out roadpost for satellite phones, about a grand for a phone and as little as 50 bux a month.

TrollGRG
03-06-2021, 09:07 AM
LOL

I've been retired for 27 years now. All I can afford would be a ferro rod and some sticks

notlim
03-08-2021, 09:21 AM
If you are out in the bush and your cell phone does not have signal its possible to use a booster and get signal. I have done this tons. The reason for this is your cell phone has a small antenna and not a lot of power. The increased size of antenna plus the computer box that amplifies signal. This then gives signal to your phone.

The short of it is, there is not way to tell with just your phone if a booster can help. If you have a booster plug it in and see if you get signal. IF you do you are in luck and there is a small weak signal you can grab and amplify. IF you still dont pick up signal with the booster than you are out of luck.

TrollGRG
03-08-2021, 11:13 AM
Sums it up great - even I can understand that

I guess I will fish in my bathtub ;o)

Thanks