PDA

View Full Version : Line 5 'very different' from Keystone XL and Canada will fight hard for it: O'Regan

Exuberant
03-05-2021, 06:16 AM
So the feds will defend a pipeline tooth and nail but only if it negatively affects Quebec and Ontario.

WASHINGTON — The federal government won't let Michigan shut down the Line 5 pipeline, Canada's natural resources minister said Thursday as he dismissed opposition comparisons to the thwarted Keystone XL project.

Seamus O'Regan sounded almost combative as he vowed to defend the 1,000-kilometre line, which bridges an environmentally sensitive part of the Great Lakes to link Wisconsin with refineries in Sarnia, Ont.

"We are fighting for Line 5 on every front and we are confident in that fight," O'Regan told a special House of Commons committee on the relationship between Canada and the United States.

The Enbridge Inc. pipeline carries an estimated 540,000 daily barrels worth of oil and natural gas liquids, and is vital to the energy and employment needs of Ontario, Alberta and Quebec, as well as northern U.S. states, he added.

"We are fighting on a diplomatic front, and we are preparing to invoke whatever measures we need to in order to make sure that Line 5 remains operational. The operation of Line 5 is non-negotiable."

In November, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer ordered Line 5 to be shut down by May, accusing Calgary-based Enbridge of violating the terms of the deal that allows the line to traverse the bottom of the Straits of Mackinac.

The straits, which link Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, boast powerful, rapidly changing currents that experts have said make the area the worst possible place for an oil spill in the Great Lakes.

Pipeline opponents in the U.S. — many of the same voices who helped make TC Energy's proposed Keystone XL expansion an environmental rallying point over the last decade — have vowed to see it shut down.

Enbridge, which has plans to fortify the underwater segment of the line by routing it through a tunnel under the lake bed, is fighting Whitmer's order in court.

Kirsten Hillman, Canada's ambassador to the U.S., said Michigan's concerns over Line 5 predate Whitmer and have been a topic of frequent discussion for embassy officials since 2017.

Diplomats and governments will play a role in finding a solution, but resolving the dispute will likely come down to the state government and Enbridge, she suggested.

"Line 5 is a crucial piece of energy infrastructure for Canada, but also for the United States — that is a core and principal message that we're giving," Hillman told the committee.

She echoed O'Regan's points about the potential impact not only on Canada, but on Michigan and Ohio as well, noting that the pipeline has been operating safely for more than half a century.

"We support, full-throatedly and very actively, the continuous safe operation of that pipeline," Hillman said.

"The solution to this will come about through diplomatic and advocacy means, but it will also come about through negotiations between the company and the governor of the territory through which it's going."

O'Regan was unequivocal Thursday when asked if he believes the governor's concerns have any merit.

"No I do not," he replied. "This is a safe pipeline, it has always been a safe pipeline, (and) the owner is taking further measures to make sure it has continued safe operation."

O'Regan also took pains to insist he remains "confident" that Enbridge and Michigan will reach an agreement to allow the line to continue to operate before Whitmer's drop-dead date in May.

Conservative MP Mark Strahl noted that the federal government had failed to prevent U.S. President Joe Biden from cancelling Keystone XL, and pressed O'Regan on how the plan for Line 5 was different.

"It sounds an awful lot like the plan to advocate for Line 5 is a carbon copy of the plan to advocate for Keystone XL," Strahl said. "Why are you expecting a different result?"

"These are very different," O'Regan said as he defended the federal Liberal efforts on Keystone XL, which Biden cancelled on his first day in the White House.

He also said he expressed Canada's defence of both pipelines to U.S. Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm when the two spoke for the first time on Wednesday.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 4, 2021.

James McCarten, The Canadian Press

https://ca-finance-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/ca.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/line-5-very-different-keystone-212543892.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16149174094833&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fca.finance.yahoo.com%2Fnews %2Fline-5-very-different-keystone-212543892.html

bdub
03-05-2021, 06:43 AM
I hope to God they shut it down. Wake up those stupid f’s in the east.

wally338
03-05-2021, 06:47 AM

X2. Plus shut down any pipelines going east from SK and AB. Let them live in a carbon free environment and see how they like it.

sns2
03-05-2021, 07:41 AM
Shut the bitch down today and let them eastern enemies walk to work. That is honestly the way I feel. I do not feel Canadian in any way, shape or form. I feel zero empathy to Ontario or Quebec. Let em freeze and burn twigs in their kitchens for warmth.

Big Grey Wolf
03-05-2021, 08:52 AM
It will surely get the attention of Ontario and Quebec if we "Let them freeze in the Dark" Then maybe the Libs will fight harder for our largest Canadian export industry in the future, lets see how those wind mills will work in their -30oC winter weather.

Twisted Canuck
03-05-2021, 08:56 AM
I agree, shut it down, let them figure out that if you want a pipeline you should build it on your own soil and not through somebody else's back yard. And Great Lake.

Even the Governor who wants to close it down suggested we build a pipe in Canada, so apparently it is self evident to people except in QC.

barsik
03-05-2021, 08:56 AM
kabuki theater

Drewski Canuck
03-05-2021, 09:09 AM
"...is vital to the energy and employment needs of Ontario, Alberta and Quebec, as well as northern U.S. states, he added...."

I INSIST that someone send a letter on behalf of the MAYOR of Montreal and the Premier of Quebec to the Governor of the State of Michigan insisting that Michigan and the USA go Carbon free immediately of the Poutine shipments will STOP!!!

Lets face it, Poutine is Quebec's only contribution to the world anyway!

As for the Comedian who stated that Quebec has "employment needs" that was TRUELY FUNNY!! You see, the only Quebecers who want to work are in Alberta taking jobs from Albertans.

Drewski

CaberTosser
03-05-2021, 10:10 AM
We should all email Governor Gretchen to voice our support of its closure.

Dewey Cox
03-05-2021, 11:01 AM
Shut the bitch down today and let them eastern enemies walk to work. That is honestly the way I feel. I do not feel Canadian in any way, shape or form. I feel zero empathy to Ontario or Quebec. Let em freeze and burn twigs in their kitchens for warmth.

I quoted this to save myself typing.
And, in case after you had a cup of coffee or 2, Stockholm syndrome kicks in and you change your mind.

I don't identify with canada.
Even the stupid flag is a leaf from the east.

Let those eastern bastards something something...

Pekan
03-05-2021, 12:18 PM
kabuki theater

true.

fallen1817
03-05-2021, 12:33 PM
"...is vital to the energy and employment needs of Ontario, Alberta and Quebec, as well as northern U.S. states, he added...."

I INSIST that someone send a letter on behalf of the MAYOR of Montreal and the Premier of Quebec to the Governor of the State of Michigan insisting that Michigan and the USA go Carbon free immediately of the Poutine shipments will STOP!!!

Lets face it, Poutine is Quebec's only contribution to the world anyway!

As for the Comedian who stated that Quebec has "employment needs" that was TRUELY FUNNY!! You see, the only Quebecers who want to work are in Alberta taking jobs from Albertans.

Drewski

You're absolutely wrong...

... They contribute sewage to waterways, too.

I’d rather be outdoors
03-05-2021, 01:20 PM
Agree, they want a carbon free economy, give them one. Now.

FCLightning
03-05-2021, 01:44 PM
We should all email Governor Gretchen to voice our support of its closure.

There is a Contact The Governor link on the webpage.

HyperMOA
03-05-2021, 05:18 PM
There is a Contact The Governor link on the webpage.

Which webpage? I’m ready to send a US governor a letter of support.

Sooner
03-05-2021, 05:58 PM

Agree 100%.

jstubbs
03-05-2021, 06:14 PM
kabuki theater

Succinctly said. Agreed.

Outbound
03-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Shut it down. Everywhere east of Manitoba is dead to me. Let em all freeze in the dark. I'd love to see Easterners prohibited from work and moving out West too. I've long since given up on this broken country. I'm no longer Canadian. I'm Albertan.

sns2
03-05-2021, 07:24 PM
And, in case after you had a cup of coffee or 2, Stockholm syndrome kicks in and you change your mind.

No Stockholm Syndrome here:)

Now that I am not a mod, I don't have to have a sniff of Political Correctness which makes me sick btw.

cdmc
03-05-2021, 07:34 PM
Such a sad state of affairs, Canada has everything everyone else wants yet... We are rotting old coyote run over by trudeas long term Cuban childhood security force on their way to save the UN

elkhunter11
03-05-2021, 07:36 PM
Shut it down, if the east wants oil, let them build a pipeline from Alberta.

RandyBoBandy
03-05-2021, 07:45 PM

I definitely have the symptoms of SS, first when tru-dope got re-elected, Biden elected and this weeks news about O'toole's latest gaff
We're SCREWED :sign0176:

cdmc
03-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Shut it down, if the east wants oil, let them build a pipeline from Alberta.

They will just take it, if it comes to that. We no longer have any politicians or people in the west willing to make a stand. The rules have changed, the tech has changed and it’s not in our favour. We are the west land of the UN
hunger games

FCLightning
03-05-2021, 08:11 PM
https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9309,7-387-90498_90663---,00.html
Which webpage? I’m ready to send a US governor a letter of support.

elkhunter11
03-05-2021, 08:12 PM
They will just take it, if it comes to that. We no longer have any politicians or people in the west willing to make a stand. The rules have changed, the tech has changed and it’s not in our favour. We are the west land of the UN
hunger games

They can only take what we produce. And a pipeline makes it cheaper for them. And if it saves them money, and they have no other option, they will build a pipeline, and buy our oil

CaberTosser
03-05-2021, 08:25 PM
They can only take what we produce. And a pipeline makes it cheaper for them. And if it saves them money, and they have no other option, they will build a pipeline, and buy our oil

Domestic oil, even at the exact same price or a couple of bucks higher than foreign conflict oil, is still better for Canada. I suggest a pricing regime that gradually recovers equalization payments and pays down provincial debt with the proceeds!

cdmc
03-05-2021, 08:29 PM
Who’s in charge of our resources? Not Albertans.
The fact is we gave it up long ago. If you think we control our destiny you live in 1975.

elkhunter11
03-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Who’s in charge of our resources? Not Albertans.
The fact is we gave it up long ago. If you think we control our destiny you live in 1975.

The east will not buy our oil, or build a pipeline, unless it benefits them, but if it benefits them, because Michigan cut off their supply, they could do both. They don't care about us, but them helping themselves, could help us.

Ranets
03-05-2021, 11:59 PM
X2. Plus shut down any pipelines going east from SK and AB. Let them live in a carbon free environment and see how they like it.

Exactly lets keep that dirty oil from destroying those poor saintly eastern liberals:sign0176:

Iron Brew
03-06-2021, 09:19 AM
Take a card from the anti's in the east, and push for shutting down the st. lawrence to tankers to protect the whales. Allow tankers only in to Halifax, St. John's and St. John on the east in the name of saving the whales.

Tell Biden that shutting oil coming into Canada will be considered an act of war. There is grounds for this, and it is a huge statement to make, whether we treat it as an act of war or not. Emphasise the upgrade to line 5 and come up with a plan to address the replacement, closure and rehabilitation as I'm sure the company has already done.

Push for a massive carbon tax on all foreign oil entering Canada. Problem will be solved quickly.

If all these things were done, I'd be willing to bet we'd have an energy east pipeline pretty damned quickly.

Grizzly Adams
03-06-2021, 10:30 AM
I heard, the governor's comment was, What ? They don't have a pipeline in Canada ? :confused:

Grizz

Penner
03-06-2021, 12:21 PM
As it was with the rail roads many moons ago, build energy east for the good of the nation and for national security.

elkhunter11
03-06-2021, 12:33 PM
Push for a massive carbon tax on all foreign oil entering Canada. Problem will be solved quickly.

Put a 100% tariff on all imported oil, and central and eastern Canada would be begging for a pipeline.

lattery1
03-06-2021, 12:59 PM
Just shut it off for 3 weeks right now as a practice. Glad to see that I am not the only one who no longer cares to identify as a Canadian first.

stubblejumper01
03-06-2021, 03:04 PM

Don’t forget to add a carbon tax on the emissions from those twigs too!

FellSwoop
03-06-2021, 05:40 PM
But thats not how it works. The shutdown will be spun by the environmentalists as a failure of pipelines and fossil fuels. And another excuse to import emissions free oil from Saudi.
Look at the work done to spin the Texas blackouts as a fossil fuel failure and more renewables are needed. Line 5 shutdown if it occurs is just another loss of market for alberta oil and a win for the East, but thay will have to go through some pain for it.