PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a new cpap

Sitting Bull
03-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Hey folks, my Resmed S9 needs to be replaced. I am not paying $2400.00. I have no insurance so looking for best place to buy new.
A) Or would you consider buying used?
Is it best to stick with the same brand?
What are your thoughts.?
Thanks

bat119
03-05-2021, 03:10 PM
I use my Resmed 9 daily I bought a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Standard CPAP with Heated Humidification System for traveling and backup $550

Honestly can't tell the difference between the two

https://www.canadacpapsupply.com/devilbiss-intellipap-standard-cpap-with-heated-humidification-system.html?msclkid=3b8530f8ff041e3397fb50ba5451ef ca&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping-New&utm_term=4584001427111412&utm_content=All%20Other%20Products

I had my doctor write a prescription instead of paying a sleep clinic

As a bonus the Devilbis runs on 12 volt no adapter required for camping

sns2
03-05-2021, 04:21 PM
I use my Resmed 9 daily I bought a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Standard CPAP with Heated Humidification System for traveling and backup $550

Honestly can't tell the difference between the two

https://www.canadacpapsupply.com/devilbiss-intellipap-standard-cpap-with-heated-humidification-system.html?msclkid=3b8530f8ff041e3397fb50ba5451ef ca&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping-New&utm_term=4584001427111412&utm_content=All%20Other%20Products

I had my doctor write a prescription instead of paying a sleep clinic

As a bonus the Devilbis runs on 12 volt no adapter required for camping

So how did you know how to properly calibrate it for you? Trial and error? The sleep clinic made it seem like it could only be programmed by a respiratory therapist trained by NASA.

bat119
03-05-2021, 04:29 PM
They set the machine from your prescription mines 10 mg per liter I've had it checked it's on the money. I bought it when I was flying to camp every two weeks instead of lugging the Resmed back and forth

bat119
03-05-2021, 04:45 PM
So how did you know how to properly calibrate it for you? Trial and error? The sleep clinic made it seem like it could only be programmed by a respiratory therapist trained by NASA.

Another note about private sleep clinics I would say 95% of people leave with a machine.
I was tested at University hospital in Saskatoon 22 years ago I have an overnight check up every ten years to update the prescription. Mines set at 10 cm H2O everybody I know with a machine has the same setting?

to check
https://www.canadacpapsupply.com/pressure-meter-for-machines.html?msclkid=d71fb095190c1e8f4b02d0d7dada 31bf&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping-New&utm_term=4584001427111412&utm_content=All%20Other%20Products

TrollGRG
03-05-2021, 05:08 PM
Everything bat119 is saying x2 for me

Make, model, price, performance, settings, DC as well as AC everything
The DC is nice because you can run it off a battery. If you run it on DC instead of AC (your truck for example) the battery will last 3 times longer.

hunter64
03-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Jumped on keto diet and lost 100 lbs and said goodbye to the cpap forever.

sns2
03-05-2021, 08:22 PM

Good for you. Mad props.

morinj
03-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Mine is set to 13 cm, in both my separate sleep clinics I quit breathing 43 times a hour, my doctor pretty much told me I hadn’t had good rem sleep in almost 2 decades, and this explained the night terrors, in hotels I almost had the police called on me several times, and I had caused bodily harm to myself on many occasions, it all stopped with my cpap, what a life changer!

sharrozap
03-06-2021, 11:18 AM
I got mine from https://www.cpap-supply.com/CPAP-Machines-at-CPAP-Supply-com-s/25.htm
Get the set up info from SD card from your machine.

1899b
03-06-2021, 11:32 AM

Awesome job getting to the root of the issue like that. Very respectable for sure.:)

Dean2
03-06-2021, 11:52 AM
https://sleepyhead.software.informer.com/

http://sleepyhead.sourceforge.net/wiki/#CPAP_Machines

This will give you all the same diagnostic info the Sleep Clinic gives you and it is free. Just download the info off the card in your machine.

With respect to replacement machines, Cheapest replacements can be bought through Amazon.ca. No prescriptions or any other paper work required for Canadian purchasers. Average is about $870 vs $2,400 at the clinic. All makes and models are pretty much available.

Just got done doing this for my FIL, no insurance either. Setup instructions for setting flow rate etc on the Phillips he bought was very easy to follow. We just replicated his old machine settings as the software confirmed it was still the correct settings.

Cement Bench
03-06-2021, 11:57 AM
WOW great post thanks

https://sleepyhead.software.informer.com/

This will give you all the same diagnostic info the Sleep Clinic gives you and it is free. Just download the info off the card in your machine.

With respect to replacement machines, Cheapest replacements can be bought through Amazon.ca. No prescriptions or any other paper work required for Canadian purchasers. Average is about $870 vs $2,400 at the clinic. All makes and models are pretty much available.

Just got done doing this for my FIL, no insurance either. Setup instructions for setting flow rate etc on the Phillips he bought was very easy to follow. We just replicated his old machine settings as the software confirmed it was still the correct settings.

Sitting Bull
03-06-2021, 12:15 PM
Thanks guy , just picked one up this morning. Now I will be looking for a back up.

Ariu
03-06-2021, 12:19 PM
Please go to http://www.sleepfiles.com/ and inform yourself.
If your existing CPAP has a sdcard, then download and install one of the programs in their webpage to read your machine recorded logs. Based on that you can find your optimal pressure and if your mask is leaking etc. These would help you when you order the new machine or a mask.
I got my machine after the nose surgery and I had a prescription which was covered by insurance and yes, the technicians make you think, you have to be certified by NASA to adjust the settings.
If your insurance does not cover it, you can shop around and find one with preset pressure based on your readings (most of them allow you to change the pressure settings anyway), or upgrade to an Auto-CPAP which would adjust the pressure automatically.
good luck and deep breathing

kingrat
03-06-2021, 12:23 PM
Amazon.. no prescription needed resmed airsense 10 for 800 all in shipped. Anyone can set it up very easy.

Dean2
03-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Please go to http://www.sleepfiles.com/ and inform yourself.
If your existing CPAP has a sdcard, then download and install one of the programs in their webpage to read your machine recorded logs. Based on that you can find your optimal pressure and if your mask is leaking etc. These would help you when you order the new machine or a mask.
I got my machine after the nose surgery and I had a prescription which was covered by insurance and yes, the technicians make you think, you have to be certified by NASA to adjust the settings.
If your insurance does not cover it, you can shop around and find one with preset pressure based on your readings (most of them allow you to change the pressure settings anyway), or upgrade to an Auto-CPAP which would adjust the pressure automatically.
good luck and deep breathing

It really is amazing how much of a disruptor the internet has been. Sleep clinics have been severely overcharging customers, the government and insurance companies for years. Now that you can just Google up how to get the diagnostic information, and thanks to a few guys who invested a ton of effort in creating then making free monitoring software available, as well as simple manuals to setup the machines yourself, it is pretty clear they are not the huge value proposition they like to pretend they are. Bad part, unless insurance companies and health care systems start pushing back on this abuse it won't change for a big chunk of people who have the coverage. Only reason I dug into it so hard is my FIL simply could not afford $2,400 for a new machine.

sns2
03-06-2021, 01:06 PM
I have a lightly used Resmed S9 for sale. Sitting Bull has first dibs, but if he ain't interested, then she's up for grabs.

Ariu
03-06-2021, 01:49 PM
It really is amazing how much of a disruptor the internet has been. Sleep clinics have been severely overcharging customers, the government and insurance companies for years. Now that you can just Google up how to get the diagnostic information, and thanks to a few guys who invested a ton of effort in creating then making free monitoring software available, as well as simple manuals to setup the machines yourself, it is pretty clear they are not the huge value proposition they like to pretend they are. Bad part, unless insurance companies and health care systems start pushing back on this abuse it won't change for a big chunk of people who have the coverage. Only reason I dug into it so hard is my FIL simply could not afford $2,400 for a new machine.
Before the surgery, I had a sleep study done by respiratory home solutions here in SW Calgary. I paid $200 - $300 for the rental which I promised will be reimbursed when I buy the machine. After a year or so they wanted $2700 for smth which was $1200 online and they didn't even honor their promise. Horrid experience. Needles to say I do everything online now.

bat119
03-06-2021, 02:43 PM
My Mother in-law 82 went to a reflexologist that recommended she be tested for sleep apnea, there just happened to be a sleep clinic in the same building. She paid $125 to rent an overnight testing device, the next they sold her the machine, mask, tubes and cleaning solutions for close to $3000.

The kicker is she lives in Sask. if a doctor sends you to be tested it's free and if you need therapy they give you a machine for $275. Her son was outraged and tried to return the machine they refused because the machine was used.

I buy everything online like filters $4 each at vital aire same filters are $17 for 50 on Amazon.

Dean2
03-06-2021, 02:55 PM
My Mother in-law 82 went to a reflexologist that recommended she be tested for sleep apnea, there just happened to be a sleep clinic in the same building. She paid $125 to rent an overnight testing device, the next they sold her the machine, mask, tubes and cleaning solutions for close to $3000.

The kicker is she lives in Sask. if a doctor sends you to be tested it's free and if you need therapy they give you a machine for $275. Her son was outraged and tried to return the machine they refused because the machine was used.

I buy everything online like filters $4 each at vital aire same filters are $17 for 50 on Amazon.

Don't know how long ago this happened but I would file a formal complaint with AHS. This is a straight out scam. Even in Alberta, if referred by a doctor, I know a reflexology guy isn't, the assessment should be done at no charge. IF not, find another clinic. There are quite a few good clinics as the one that initially assessed my FIL was very good in how they treated him and the advice provided. Any clinic on the up and up would have told her that she can get a no cost assessment and would have helped her claim the cost through her Sask Insurance program.

kingrat
03-07-2021, 06:58 AM
By far the biggest scam going, our local and only clinic in town sells the machines only for $2400 and mask seperate for $300. They told me you absolutely can not buy one without prescription anywhere in canada. After arguing I got my prescription from them and bought off amazon for 800 for exact same machine and 100 for mask and not once was asked for prescription. And any fool can program it in 2 seconds. It's almost insurance fraud I'd say.

vcmm
03-07-2021, 08:23 AM
Recently bought an N20 nasal mask from Vitale Aire. $250 Found out CPAP supplies same mask $99 They won't get me again.

muskegnmud
03-07-2021, 09:03 AM
careful with the typing in of the web address, lots of scammers out there.
Anyways, I have ordered from CPAPsupply.ca a few times, prices 1/4 - 1/3 of local, delivery has been flawless, product is the same as when purchased from a "sleep clinic"
No prescription required.

CPAP machines and supplies has got to be one of the biggest rip offs going when bought from a "sleep clinic"

TrollGRG
03-07-2021, 09:28 AM
I think they are relying on people who have insurance. Often they wont bother to check prices if they are covered.

tri777
03-07-2021, 11:05 AM
I got a 2mth month old CPAP off Kijiji last Sept for $650. Cleaned machine out real good,
got new mask, hose, cleaning brush/wipes for just under $300, it's a good little machine.

sns2
03-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Sold mine to Sitting Bull. Always nice to meet fellow AOers!

Sitting Bull
03-07-2021, 06:28 PM
Thanks sns2 for the Cpap. It was a pleasure to meet you as well. Take care.

Faststeel
03-07-2021, 08:01 PM
Mine is set to 13 cm, in both my separate sleep clinics I quit breathing 43 times a hour, my doctor pretty much told me I hadn’t had good rem sleep in almost 2 decades, and this explained the night terrors, in hotels I almost had the police called on me several times, and I had caused bodily harm to myself on many occasions, it all stopped with my cpap, what a life changer!

I slapped on the mask and never looked back, love my old resmed, the clinic cannot believe i am still using the original one they sold me for $5500 some 15 years ago, thank god my ex school teacher wife had a fabulous plan, the machine was covered.......LOL

Faststeel
03-07-2021, 08:09 PM
I have a lightly used Resmed S9 for sale. Sitting Bull has first dibs, but if he ain't interested, then she's up for grabs.

I bought an s9 for back up used myself a few years ago, just incase old faithful craps out. have yet to plug it in..

TrollGRG
03-12-2021, 02:10 PM
If any of you have a AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow Size Large I will trade for 2 medium and a small. I need the large but when you buy the headset you get all 3 sizes. I have no need for the M and S but I could always use another large.

58thecat
03-12-2021, 02:56 PM

ya had a buddy in the patch just a physical mess but after talking and changing his diet wow he turned around 100 percent, no more sleep issues, health issues etc 100 plus pounds knocked off over a 18 months and then turned physical activities into fun activities...if this is something that is the issue set goals and crush them...you will be very happy you did. My buddy said it turned his life around and really seen what he was missing out in life.

Trax
03-13-2021, 10:56 AM
I have a used Resmed CPAP that I would be willing to donate or give to someone in need. I don't know much about these machines but know it will likely need to be cleaned. It has its own carry case with the required accessories.

Please PM me if interested. I am located close to Sherwood Park, Ab and would prefer not shipping.

The machine was my fathers who passed away.

Thx

Scott h
03-13-2021, 12:37 PM

Are you asking how to input the settings into your machine, or are you asking how to decide what the actual pressure's should be?

TrollGRG
03-13-2021, 01:13 PM
If any of you have a AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow Size Large I will trade for 2 medium and a small. I need the large but when you buy the headset you get all 3 sizes. I have no need for the M and S but I could always use another large.

Thanks for the responses.

I have agreed to a trade so the nasal pillows are gone.

Gerry

TrollGRG
08-02-2021, 06:52 PM

TrollGRG
08-02-2021, 06:57 PM

Looks like I screwed up (so what is new?)

I actually needed the medium size. Does anyone have any mediums that they would be willing to trade?

Gerry

DirtShooter
08-02-2021, 08:52 PM
I bought my resmed auto off of amazon, what a difference. Did this through covid and wasn't wanting to book an appointment and wait etc etc etc for our glorious healthcare system to get me in 18 months later haha.

My wife told me I had sleep apnea so this fixed it and its auto so it does the job. $800ish on amazon.