PDA

View Full Version : New PB pike from yesterday

archerynut
03-06-2021, 10:29 AM
Was out for a couple hours in the afternoon to try my luck at Crawling Valley and to take advantage of the beautiful weather. Fished for about an hour from 5 to 14 feet. Caught this pig out of the deepest hole. Almost didn't fit through my 8 inch hole. She grabbed a frozen 6 inch smelt. What a fight. My biggest pike and to date the largest fish I have ever caught!
https://ibb.co/0hxcZdH
https://ibb.co/Zh864tN

Image is kinda blurry but it shows how fat she was. Measured out at 39". Might have gone 40" if I pinched the tail!

lromanchuk
03-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Great pike. Nice work.

Bushleague
03-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Nice looking pike, small head to body ratio, good sign of a healthy fishery.

archerynut
03-06-2021, 11:23 AM
All the pike I've caught this winter from CVR have been exceptionally fat and healthy. Loving that I live just down a gravel road from this great lake!

Fisherdan
03-06-2021, 11:27 AM
Nice Hogg! What a fatty!!

Bushleague
03-06-2021, 11:39 AM
All the pike I've caught this winter from CVR have been exceptionally fat and healthy. Loving that I live just down a gravel road from this great lake!

In my neck of the woods both the pike and walleye in a lot of the lakes are looking far better now that the commercial fishery is shut down. They also seem to have gotten a bit harder to catch now that they aren't half starved.

marlin1
03-06-2021, 12:06 PM
nice pike

Howard Hutchinson
03-06-2021, 12:08 PM
Beauty Pike you scored and congrats!!. Man I like their color pattern. Nature is wonderful isn't it?

archerynut
03-06-2021, 12:35 PM
Man I like their color pattern. Nature is wonderful isn't it?

You said it brother. This fish literally took my breath away!

mooseknuckle
03-06-2021, 01:09 PM
Beauty pike!! i miss the goob ol days at wabamun where fifh like that wasnt a dream..... it was a guarantee. Lol.

Congrats!! gotta be 15+ lbs.

archerynut
03-07-2021, 07:02 AM
Just an observation I made after releasing this fish and maybe others can tell me if they've had similar experiences. Immediately following the release I re-bait my hook and drop it down with 2 or 3 minutes. Even before it hits the bottom its being picked up by something else. Smaller pike or walleye I'm not sure but it almost seems like smaller fish follow the big ones around. Even some of the smaller pike I've caught I'm noticing this. Anyone else have this happen?

58thecat
03-07-2021, 07:33 AM
Just an observation I made after releasing this fish and maybe others can tell me if they've had similar experiences. Immediately following the release I re-bait my hook and drop it down with 2 or 3 minutes. Even before it hits the bottom its being picked up by something else. Smaller pike or walleye I'm not sure but it almost seems like smaller fish follow the big ones around. Even some of the smaller pike I've caught I'm noticing this. Anyone else have this happen?

It's the commotion created by bringing in your fish, disturbance of the bottom too will bring in smaller bait fish and yup a few larger ones will come in to pick them off.....a little trick if things are slow is to beat up the bottoms....ohhh and I always shovel snow around my area down to the ice to let light in too....

Nice pike by the way!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

cranky
03-07-2021, 08:34 AM

I've noticed same thing. Often thought it was the same pike hitting it again but not biteing to get it in for a look.

I have fished there often as we have family down around there. Never skip a chance to fish CVR while visiting.

WayneChristie
03-07-2021, 09:17 AM
I've had so many experiences ice fishing when there are multiple pike around the bait I think its not very uncommon at all, like the one resting under my hole this winter, dropped my new bait by its tail and another pike came in and took the new bait and a bite of the first pike too. I've seen as many as 5 or 6 on camera at the same time. On days when they are feeding very aggressively I've had several that were just hanging out come right up into the ice to hit the new bait I've also watched walleye take the new bait, and on one lake not so distant from me I had a smaller pike and a lake white both pushing each other off my smelt.
Nice fatty now the bar is raised again!:sHa_shakeshout:

Fishfinder
03-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Beautiful fishy. Congrats!:)