PDA

View Full Version : Log splitter recommendations and tips?

Keeleclimber
03-06-2021, 01:24 PM
I’ve got a mountain of logs to be turned into fire wood so I need to purchase a log splitter.
Looking for recommendations and or tips from anyone familiar with this stuff.
Thanks

Dean2
03-06-2021, 01:37 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/search.php?searchid=18190114

Ton of threads on them. Everything you could ever want to know. Searched "log splitter". You need the quotation marks as well as the two words.

Most recent thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381730&highlight=Log+Splitter

NCC
03-06-2021, 03:54 PM
We have a wedge mounted on a 300lb 4’ fly wheel that’s driven by an electric motor. I call it the Delimbinator. It will split blocks as fast as you can pack them to the splitter. I don’t let my kids near it. There are several examples on you tube.

brass410
03-06-2021, 04:05 PM
have tried a lot of different brands over the years from rental shops as well as owned and borrowed. The one that I like the best was a splitter that split both directions going out and on the return if memory serves correct it was called a splitfire. The only downside was that it could only split one length because you couldnt adjust the dead end on either end and the double ended split wedge travelled between them. We heat only with wood for last 35years a 6000sq building with 2 stoves so we do see a little use of a splitter I now have a wood proccessor saves my ageing body LOL

Koschenk
03-06-2021, 06:15 PM
I've spent a LOT of hours on splitters and my favorite was the splitfire described above but specifically the model that has the lifting arm/platform on the side, not using it to actually lift the logs, just cause you can load er up so you're not bending down to grab a new log between every piece.

IL Bar
03-06-2021, 07:55 PM
We have a Wallenstein 20 ton with a Honda engine. Been an awesome unit. Haven’t found anything to stop it yet. My brother in law and I purchased it together. I store it and he gets to use it. Good deal for me.

sarahfaye
03-06-2021, 11:23 PM
Just upgraded from a 5hp honda 20 ton to a 9hp honda 30 ton. Splits faster just off idle than the 5hp at full throttle. Makes it real quiet to work around and uses less fuel. Should have done it years ago.

Grizzly Adams
03-07-2021, 08:27 AM
We have a wedge mounted on a 300lb 4’ fly wheel that’s driven by an electric motor. I call it the Delimbinator. It will split blocks as fast as you can pack them to the splitter. I don’t let my kids near it. There are several examples on you tube.

Reminds me of my neighbors home made post pounder. One day it came loose and whacked him in the head, he was lucky to survive.

Grizz

MountainTi
03-07-2021, 08:37 AM
I’ve got a mountain of logs to be turned into fire wood so I need to purchase a log splitter.
Looking for recommendations and or tips from anyone familiar with this stuff.
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAddyGNZ1cQ

Just need an old square baler Carson. Watch the fingers

fordtruckin
03-07-2021, 10:49 AM
I have used 3 in my life. One was an older Sears that was a tank! Worst part about that machine was you had to bend over to load logs so your back would be a bit sore after splitting a few cords. Last year I used a Champion and that machine was fantastic. Buddy of mine picked it up at Home Depot on sale. Third I can’t recall the brand but it was cold blooded and had probably split thousands of cords as it was a rental machine from my local hardware store. Big thing is having it at waist height and the ability to tilt the splitting unit verticals so you can put larger pieces in then you can lift. Personally I always wanted an Ariens but then they stopped making them and my buddy got his so I never needed to buy one.