PDA

View Full Version : RV BBQ Upgrade?

Off in the Bushes
03-07-2021, 01:52 PM
So my RV BBQ is on its last legs and didn’t do a great job anyway. Looking for recommendation on a portable BBQ. But also want to know how you are able to connect after market BBQ to the trailer propane system. I am already plumbed with a quick connect so the pressure is let down at the tank, and most after market BBQ have a regulator built into the temperature control knob. Can it be double regulated? What’s the work around for that.

bat119
03-07-2021, 02:25 PM
I use a portable Nexgrill 2 burner connected with a 20’ hose good bbq, all stainless steel with dual controls great for indirect cooking $130 at Home Depot it connects directly with no regulator

Coiloil37
03-07-2021, 02:40 PM
Hard to look past the Webber babyQ. Mine does all the camping, cooking on the beach and overnight trips on the boat.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210307/ce79db24eeb68ab4194ada93660b8739.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210307/c901428429eb936bcf5f172a0497bd1e.jpg

Great little BBQ’s.

sns2
03-07-2021, 03:07 PM
Great BBQ. Better pictures. Glad you and the family are enjoying your adventure!

fordtruckin
03-07-2021, 03:38 PM
I have a Weber q grill that does camping duty. No complaints although the new ones come with a split grate which I like better than my whole grate. Makes it easier for you cleaning.

TrollGRG
03-07-2021, 04:18 PM
A couple of years ago I got a griddle. It does everything a BBQ can do and so much more. I will never go back to grilling

The 2 most popular ones are Camp Chef and Blackstone

Mountain Guy
03-07-2021, 05:27 PM
No you can't double regulate.
I think that Weber has a built in reg. Not sure if its removable. Might not be as most with built in regs aren't easily removed.
Look at the Broil King porta-chef 120.
I've had one for many many years and its a great little BBQ. I finally replaced the burner and grate after about 20 years.....and they still have parts for them.
Reg is on the hose so easy to run an unregulated hose from your quick connect.

hogie
03-07-2021, 09:01 PM
No you can't double regulate.
I think that Weber has a built in reg. Not sure if its removable. Might not be as most with built in regs aren't easily removed.
Look at the Broil King porta-chef 120.
I've had one for many many years and its a great little BBQ. I finally replaced the burner and grate after about 20 years.....and they still have parts for them.
Reg is on the hose so easy to run an unregulated hose from your quick connect.

I removed the regulator off my Weber Q and use a regulated hose. Older model so not sure about newer ones but would think not much different.

Good little bbq, coming up ten years and still working.

macee
03-07-2021, 09:22 PM
My trailer had an electric weber in it when I bought an I was sure I would be changing it out but now I wouldn't even think of going back to gas.

calgarygringo
03-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Get a Camp Chef stove and BBQ accessory on top. Plugs in to the quick connect and you have a multiple use device. Add a griddle or other items too. I know a guy that may even have one to sell you.:thinking-017:

ward
03-08-2021, 07:30 AM
I removed the regulator off my Weber Q and use a regulated hose. Older model so not sure about newer ones but would think not much different.

We have used the Weber’s in our camp for years. Great grill, I just wish they would run at a lower temp at the low setting. But if you are the type that likes to cook your steak in a couple of minutes, they are great.

Cement Bench
03-08-2021, 08:35 AM
think I,still have a rvq in the back of my garage

are they worth anything
they were expensive new but never used it did all the camping in a park

4K3OGH
03-08-2021, 09:09 AM
Hard to look past the Webber babyQ. Mine does all the camping, cooking on the beach and overnight trips on the boat.

Great little BBQ’s.

x2 for the weber.Lightweight, holds temp. Have had mine for 6 years and its still going strong

TrollGRG
03-08-2021, 09:22 AM
Get a Camp Chef stove and BBQ accessory on top. Plugs in to the quick connect and you have a multiple use device. Add a griddle or other items too. I know a guy that may even have one to sell you.:thinking-017:

Just look on Youtube under "Griddles" and you will get an idea of what they can actually do.

I've had gas BBQs, kettle BBQs and even a Big Green Egg. Sold them all. I sold them all and use the griddle exclusively.

I have no vested interest in any griddle company - just like to share when I find something I know others will like.

Mountain Guy
03-08-2021, 09:31 AM

Was your the model that uses the 1lb propane bottle?
I see some models of the weber are like that.
I've never had luck trying to eliminate the regulator from stoves and BBqs that have the 1lb propane bottle fitting

hogie
03-08-2021, 09:57 AM
Was your the model that uses the 1lb propane bottle?
I see some models of the weber are like that.
I've never had luck trying to eliminate the regulator from stoves and BBqs that have the 1lb propane bottle fitting

Yes, they make a conversion kit that you can use a regular tank. I got a bad new tank from Costco and it had an oily substance that wrecked the original reg. I found fittings and bypassed it got a hose with a regulator in it. Worked good. Bad part is I bought too many 1lbs of propane. Hard to use up with a lamp.

walker1
03-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Costco used to carry a Napoleon Q grill. It was a circular shape with one perimeter burner . Around 200 bucks. Mine is on year 8 and works great. I clean it well and underli it with tinfoil for less mess. 2 30 pound tanks on my toyhauler and I have a 50 foot line to tap in.
Works great.

Ken07AOVette
03-08-2021, 01:27 PM

Great little BBQ’s.

That is an awesome setup!

What is the model #?

Q100 or 1000? 1200?

Coiloil37
03-08-2021, 02:59 PM
That is an awesome setup!

What is the model #?

Q100 or 1000? 1200?

The baby q is the Q1000. Mines hooked up to a 2.5kg bottle. Obviously if it was being used in the 5th wheel I would quick connect to the trailers lpg.

One half of mine is grill, one half is griddle for cooking stuff like eggs/bacon etc.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/15474c604d40db04f753ed19fbcb50a9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210308/5610d0aac664f32eb4e64d8a632c161b.jpg

Okotok
03-08-2021, 05:10 PM
I looked at the Webers a few years ago and ended up buying a Jackson grill Versa 100 for the higher BTU's. Not sure if that's still the case but it's been a great little Q and not much more expensive than the Weber at the time. Made in Canada too I believe. My wife bought me (yeah sure) a 22" Blackstone 1813 for Christmas. Looking forward to trying it out.

lyallpeder
03-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Weber go anywhere :scared0018:

https://www.barbecuecountry.com/products/weber-go-anywhere®

-JR-
03-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Stay away from the nexgrill portable BBQ at Costco .
They have a flame deflector like all of them do ,but it sits to flat on top of the burners so its like a frying pan that catches all your dripping from your meats.
The next think that happens , you get big flare ups .

I returned mine and picked up a Napoleon BBQ that they sell .
Have not tried it yet ! fingers crossed.

Ken07AOVette
03-09-2021, 09:55 AM
It is a very cool looking little unit. I dont think it will work for my boat though, I do not think it will fit through the entry into the hold. Too bad, looks very good. I like the catch tray too.

bat119
03-09-2021, 10:07 AM
Stay away from the nexgrill portable BBQ at Costco .
They have a flame deflector like all of them do ,but it sits to flat on top of the burners so its like a frying pan that catches all your dripping from your meats.
The next think that happens , you get big flare ups .

I returned mine and picked up a Napoleon BBQ that they sell .
Have not tried it yet ! fingers crossed.

You must have installed them upside down the two flame deflectors are tee pee shaped over the burners, I've been using one for at least 5 years the best little bbq I've had 1/2 the price of a Weber

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nexgrill-2-burner-portable-propane-table-top-bbq-in-stainless-steel/1000846759

-JR-
03-09-2021, 10:13 AM
You must have installed them upside down the two flame deflectors are tee pee shaped over the burners, I've been using one for at least 5 years the best little bbq I've had 1/2 the price of a Weber

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nexgrill-2-burner-portable-propane-table-top-bbq-in-stainless-steel/1000846759

Mine were in the unit ,they are in a Tee-pee shape, but do not sit at a 45 degree angle ,so nothing drips off of them fast enough. Hence the flare ups !

I just looked at the home depo unit . It does have much more of an angle than the costco one has .

I also found the hose sticks out a lot when its all folded up . How was your unit.
They should have made it so you can be removed

bat119
03-09-2021, 10:28 AM
I used a 20' hose connected to my trailer, the supplied regulator hose comes off easily with a crescent wrench stowed inside for portability.
We used it our seasonal for 4 years didn't move around much seared steaks countless burgers cooked roasts offset with only one burner. All stainless steel built tough.

Mountain Guy
03-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Nexgrill looks nice and good price.
I like the porta chef though because it comes with removable legs that pack nicely in the carry bag.
I think you can get the stand for the weber but its pretty bulky.
Good to have something free standing to free up table space when your camping.

thumper
03-09-2021, 07:32 PM
Blackstone 17" Griddle is popular with the RV crowd. It's quite compact for storage, easy to clean, easy to configure to use your RV's propane supply (and regulator), and fairly inexpensive. I think Princess Auto still carries them.

spoiledsaskhunter
03-10-2021, 08:53 AM
i've got the same problem as you. double regulated will not work and the heat control on my weber portable is designed so that you cannot get the regulator off.
only solution i've been able to come up with is taking an extra 10 or 20 lb bottle along to supply the bbq. pia, but haven't been able to figure out a better way.

any solutions would be appreciated. the weber s are really nice little bbqs. i considered by passing the regulator on the trailer, but made me nervous, as i don't know if the set up is engineered for the greater line pressure to the quick connect.

IL Bar
03-10-2021, 09:42 AM
i've got the same problem as you. double regulated will not work and the heat control on my weber portable is designed so that you cannot get the regulator off.
only solution i've been able to come up with is taking an extra 10 or 20 lb bottle along to supply the bbq. pia, but haven't been able to figure out a better way.

any solutions would be appreciated. the weber s are really nice little bbqs. i considered by passing the regulator on the trailer, but made me nervous, as i don't know if the set up is engineered for the greater line pressure to the quick connect.

There are kits online to convert them. I’m considering doing mine too.

spoiledsaskhunter
03-10-2021, 08:13 PM
There are kits online to convert them. I’m considering doing mine too.

how can i find one IL.....i'd like to take a look.

sewerrat
03-11-2021, 08:53 AM
I have the weber Q1000, and have it hooked up to the small baby 5 lb refillable
propane bottle, cost me only $4.00 to fill, those stupid little green bottles are always empty and expensive.
This way I can Bbq where ever.

YYC338
03-11-2021, 11:15 AM
I have the weber Q1000, and have it hooked up to the small baby 5 lb refillable
propane bottle, cost me only $4.00 to fill, those stupid little green bottles are always empty and expensive.
This way I can Bbq where ever.

You can refill those stupid little green bottles, been doing it for years. Check youtube videos

sewerrat
03-11-2021, 01:00 PM
You can refill those stupid little green bottles, been doing it for years. Check youtube videos

yes, but then I hear at times you end up with half filled bottles, and for 4 bucks I let a profesional do the job.

rasbok
03-11-2021, 01:25 PM
x10 i have the camp chef griddle and a Sabre bbq only time i use my bbq is for a steak and it's just because i like the bbq grill marks

I can cook for 10-12 people on my griddle with no fuss at all Love it best investment i've ever made

Just look on Youtube under "Griddles" and you will get an idea of what they can actually do.

I've had gas BBQs, kettle BBQs and even a Big Green Egg. Sold them all. I sold them all and use the griddle exclusively.

I have no vested interest in any griddle company - just like to share when I find something I know others will like.

calgarygringo
03-11-2021, 03:03 PM
If you are only getting half full bottles you are not doing it correctly. Forget the freezer etc. A pair of forceps and bleed the air out and they will be full every time. Been doing them for years this way. A few YouTube videos out there for this method. Similar to how we used to fill our vehicle propane tanks years ago.

yes, but then I hear at times you end up with half filled bottles, and for 4 bucks I let a profesional do the job.

Okotok
03-11-2021, 08:13 PM
So without prolonging the thread, it would appear that Jackson grills and Blackstone griddles rule!! :):fighting0030:

Off in the Bushes
03-11-2021, 09:43 PM
I’m going to give those a google as the Weber is a little out of my price range for a summer time bbq

TrollGRG
03-12-2021, 09:28 AM
Why would you say Blackstone griddles rule?

More of us said we have Camp Chef griddles than anything else. Blackstone has a more enthusiastic advertising team but if you do comparisons most of the critics prefer the Camp Chef.

Okotok
03-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Why would you say Blackstone griddles rule?

More of us said we have Camp Chef griddles than anything else. Blackstone has a more enthusiastic advertising team but if you do comparisons most of the critics prefer the Camp Chef.

Just kidding. Haven't even tried my Blackstone yet as it was a Christmas gift. Just making light of how many different suggestions are out there. Blackstone owners and Camp Chef owners out there are like Ford and Chevy owners. :)

TrollGRG
03-12-2021, 02:05 PM
That is exactly right - a lot of brand loyalty

IL Bar
03-12-2021, 06:55 PM
how can i find one IL.....i'd like to take a look.

https://propanegear.com/weber-q-grill-compatible-rv-quick-connect-kit-8-ft-hose/
Here’s one that I found online.