PDA

View Full Version : RCMP PAL runaround help

Dariouskater
03-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Hey guys so here is the deal. I had a friend file his pal renewal in November.
He called after the 30 to 45 day wait and was informed that he waited too long to renew and would have to file as a new application. And sent him back the papers with information on his open file.
So he filled out application and sent it back out.
Called today over a month later and was told that they recieved a large amount of applications and are approximately 5 months behind so don't know if they have his application yet

Sounds like a bit of a runaround to me.

Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

58thecat
03-08-2021, 10:36 AM
Firearm licence expiry
As per the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, since October 2017, individuals have a six-month extension period past the expiry date printed on their firearms licence card to submit a renewal application online
An expiring firearms licence card will automatically remain valid, with limitations, during this extension period
Individuals can check the status of their firearms licence application via Individual Web Services

elkhunter11
03-08-2021, 10:37 AM
The only fix is to never let your PAL expire. If he let it expire and tried to renew it after he was no longer eligible to renew it(6 months), that is entirely his fault, and he will have to wait.

Dariouskater
03-08-2021, 10:38 AM
Firearm licence expiry

As per the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act, since October 2017, individuals have a six-month extension period past the expiry date printed on their firearms licence card to submit a renewal application online

An expiring firearms licence card will automatically remain valid, with limitations, during this extension period

Individuals can check the status of their firearms licence application via Individual Web ServicesHe left it for a year as he was bouncing between moves for a while.

And when he checks online it hasn't been updated since they sent the original application back to him in december

58thecat
03-08-2021, 10:45 AM
He left it for a year as he was bouncing between moves for a while.

And when he checks online it hasn't been updated since they sent the original application back to him in december

Ya that's the craps as all federal guberment entities are really behind the 8 ball...many working from home with limited resources and meanwhile the world keeps backlogging everything....never were efficient prior to covid and now here we are...I would just follow this link....
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/impacts-services-due-the-coronavirus-disease-covid-19

Mr Conservation
03-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Did he get a renewal notice in the mail ?

If memory serves me correctly, I have always received a renewal notice, and then sent the renewal in prior to the expiration of my PAL.

Always get the renewed PAL in a timely manner.

Mr Conservation

no-regard
03-08-2021, 10:53 AM
It sounds like the wait time can be anywhere from 3 - 18 months these days. (based on other forums and people talking on FB) A few rare cases have been even longer.

Not much he can do now I don't think. After 6 or 7 months (a 'reasonable' amount of time it may take to process) a call to his MP may help to speed things up, though I'm not sure that is as effective right now, everyone is still blaming Covid for long wait times.

elkhunter11
03-08-2021, 10:54 AM
Ya that's the craps as all federal guberment entities are really behind the 8 ball...many working from home with limited resources and meanwhile the world keeps backlogging everything....never were efficient prior to covid and now here we are...I would just follow this link....
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/impacts-services-due-the-coronavirus-disease-covid-19

Exactly, it isn't a runaround at all, the person tried to renew a PAL after he was no longer eligible to renew, that is his fault, not a government runaround. Now the government is backed up due to covid, so not really a runaround. I don't agree with our firearms regulations, but I do obey them to avoid this type of scenario. And if he doesn't have a PAL by hunting season, it will primarily due to not renewing his PAL while he was still eligible.

Flyingfisher
03-08-2021, 11:15 AM
...a call to his MP may help to speed things up.

This is a very good way to prod the CFO. Your friend will need to fill out a form enabling the MP's office to look into the delays for him.

huntinstuff
03-08-2021, 01:02 PM
A renewal by mail is taking months

Your friends story is par for the course. Expect no better. Ever.

Outbound
03-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Try submitting it online? My wife did that in Januaryband had her new card in 2 weeks. There is no waiting period on renewals.

Smokinyotes
03-08-2021, 01:15 PM
When everyone knows it’s a hassle to renew after it has expired it baffles me why people let it expire. I renewed online this past December and it took 21 days until I had the new card.

elkhunter11
03-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Try submitting it online? My wife did that in Januaryband had her new card in 2 weeks. There is no waiting period on renewals.

The person in question isn't renewing, he let his PAL expire without renewing for a year, so now he has to submit an application as if he has never held a PAL.

pgavey
03-08-2021, 01:34 PM
After a year, don't you have to complete the pal course?

esher
03-08-2021, 01:47 PM
After a year, don't you have to complete the pal course?

A friend was expired a few years, he just resubmitted.

Outbound
03-08-2021, 02:09 PM
The person in question isn't renewing, he let his PAL expire without renewing for a year, so now he has to submit an application as if he has never held a PAL.

Gotcha. I misread that. Disregard my post then.

45/70/500
03-08-2021, 02:20 PM
not to derail , but does any one know how long a private handgun sale transfer takes , not my first but havent had one for 4-5 yrs i have a G C membership ???