PDA

View Full Version : Cougar With Livestock

James.m
03-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Hey Guys,

Yesterday evening my cows were acting weird so I went out to see what was going on.

I seen a cougar run away from on top of one of our manure piles.

We just finished calving out 200 head of cattle so we have lots of fresh calves running around.

As of right now I don't want to kill the cougar but I was wondering if there is any programs/Individuals who would be interested in collaring this cat?

I know it sticks around from the amount of kills I've found on one of our quarters of land while shed hunting in the last couple years.

Any information would be great, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I picked the hunting community.

Thanks!

urcayuse
03-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Title made me think this was a barrel racer thread.

Drewski Canuck
03-08-2021, 12:08 PM
If the cougar is eying up your calves, you are going to be losing calves. Plain and simple.

If you do not mind subsidizing the Cougar population with a donation of fresh calves, then there is nothing to worry about. But understand if it is a female, she will teach her kittens to hunt calves as well and the donation will increase.

Maybe call F & W and tell them about the problem wildlife. I highly doubt that they will do a live removal or even spend the effort to collar for tracking.

I am willing to bet that they recommend you get rid of this cougar before it gets the chance to take down a calf.

Drewski

ram crazy
03-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Shoot the cat take it in and get the cat registered and you will end up with a cat and all your cattle.

skidderman
03-08-2021, 12:31 PM
Where I hunt elk cougars killed a calf as well as four lamas on two different farms. You do not have an ideal situation. I have heard of F&W live trapping & relocating but only heard about it. Good luck.

Smokinyotes
03-08-2021, 12:52 PM
If it were with my cows I would be packing a gun and notifying F&W.

KGB
03-08-2021, 02:13 PM
Just post your location here and “Hunting cougars is permitted without asking” sign on your property... We will take care of the rest...:sHa_shakeshout:

Grizzly Adams
03-08-2021, 03:32 PM

Sounds like you interrupted his work. Neighbor had a couple of deer killed in his hay yard. The cat pounced off his round bales. What would you rather have, cougar or calves ?

Grizz

waldedw
03-08-2021, 05:02 PM
I know the new way of the world is inclusion for everyone and everything but letting a cougar hang around with your fresh young calves is going a little to far.......... bang.......bang........... and a happy ending :thinking-006:

MountainTi
03-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Shoot the cat take it in and get the cat registered and you will end up with a cat and all your cattle.

Best solution. Waste of money collaring and moving a cat, there's lots..

ram crazy
03-08-2021, 05:31 PM
Best solution. Waste of money collaring and moving a cat, there's lots..

Once a cat gets a taste of beef that’s pretty much all they will eat, best to eliminate the problem. The brother in law had this happen a few years ago, and like I said take the cat in once you shoot it and you can register and keep the cat.

Desert Eagle
03-08-2021, 05:56 PM
What area are you in? I know a guy doing some collating if you are in the right area.

Hey Guys,

Yesterday evening my cows were acting weird so I went out to see what was going on.

We just finished calving out 200 head of cattle so we have lots of fresh calves running around.

As of right now I don't want to kill the cougar but I was wondering if there is any programs/Individuals who would be interested in collaring this cat?

I know it sticks around from the amount of kills I've found on one of our quarters of land while shed hunting in the last couple years.

Any information would be great, I wasn't sure where to post this thread so I picked the hunting community.

Thanks!

Bluedog
03-08-2021, 06:30 PM
IMO
I would chase it down with hounds, jump it out of the tree a couple of times and call it educating the Cougar.
Bluedog

Talking moose
03-08-2021, 06:39 PM
IMO
I would chase it down with hounds, jump it out of the tree a couple of times and call it educating the Cougar.
Bluedog

I think that’s what that one dude does on the series mountain men. Seems to work.

Duke74
03-08-2021, 07:03 PM
Shoot, shovel, and shut up

CNP
03-08-2021, 07:06 PM
I think that’s what that one dude does on the series mountain men. Seems to work.

It's steady employment for the guy with the dogs and a steady cash drain for the rancher. Sounds like a win lose situation.

Grizzly Adams
03-08-2021, 07:08 PM

As a land owner, no need to make a secret of it.

Grizz

sage 13
03-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Well you said its been around for a few years and done nothing so wouldnt panick if it does something then deal with it as you choose but just kill it because it may as some suggest is dumb IMO. Also the comments about once it kills beef it will always is just a big pile of crap like the one you said it ran off of.

Duke74
03-08-2021, 08:01 PM
No Grizz, but it keeps all the animal rights,nut jobs, from going on about the poor cougar and how it’s the real victim lol

roper1
03-08-2021, 08:02 PM
Shoot it, tell the fish cops so you can get it mounted!

270person
03-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Shoot it. Passed up my chance earlier. Won't happen again.

Tronneroi
03-08-2021, 08:41 PM
Kill that cat, Amigo.

CBintheNorth
03-08-2021, 09:51 PM
If you're still looking for someone to put a collar on that cat and move it just send me a PM.

Unless you're sure you want it kept alive for both steps, then best see if anyone else is willing.:)

6.5 shooter
03-08-2021, 09:54 PM

You beat me to it.

trooper
03-08-2021, 10:00 PM
You beat me to it.

ditto.

WildBillG
03-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Collaring it will not stop it from eating your calves. Do as others have said shoot it. It knows where easy lunch is now and will be back sadly you may have missed your best chance to kill it. Carry your rifle and next time kill it. Also do you have children or grand children don't put them at risk because you don't want to or think it is wrong to kill this cat. There are getting to be to many of them now.

calgarychef
03-08-2021, 10:37 PM
If you do shoot it, don’t forget that cougar meat is fantastic.

Duke74
03-08-2021, 10:40 PM
Just remember, cougars WILL stalk humans. Having them around is dangerous not just to our animals.

trooper
03-08-2021, 10:48 PM
Just remember, cougars WILL stalk humans. Having them around is dangerous not just to our animals.

I have a friend who said that years ago, a cougar followed him to within 30 meters while out walking on a cutline. He stated that he felt something was off and he turned around to look behind him and stared face to face with a cougar. He yelled and waved his arms and the cougar was frightened off. It appears that we are not at the top of the food chain.

FCLightning
03-09-2021, 08:17 AM

Nothing like a little return business to keep you employed.

waldedw
03-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Cougars are apex predator's and carnivores, if they find a food source they will hang around that area until the food source is gone or they are removed, there is really only 2 choices here, remove the cougar or feed it :thinking-006: I know what I would be doing if those were my calves.

Grizzly Adams
03-09-2021, 08:50 AM
Cougars are apex predator's and carnivores, if they find a food source they will hang around that area until the food source is gone or they are removed, there is really only 2 choices here, remove the cougar or feed it :thinking-006: I know what I would be doing if those were my calves.

I know a sheep farmer. they had a cougar come by, regular as clockwork and kill 2 sheep, no more, no less. this went on for a spell, but they got tired of it. After his last venture, took the dogs 20 minutes to tree him.

https://i.imgur.com/rkSw4EP.jpg

Grizz

Big Grey Wolf
03-09-2021, 09:29 AM
That cougar in back of truck is only way to handle them around your livestock or children. Please do the right thing and carry the model 94 30-30. Our fathers knew how to handle cougar and bears on their farms, now a lost art.

Dean2
03-09-2021, 10:06 AM
AO amazes me some days. The guy who posted has been around AO since 2012, he is a big enough rancher to be calving 200 animals, I think he probably has more experience with actual predation on livestock than 98% of the people replying on this thread. In fact I will go out on a limb and say there are probably at least a few responding that have never seen a cougar in the wild, let alone had one around their land and home a lot. On top of that they are HIS livestock.

All he asked is if anyone can give him a lead on someone who might be interested in tracking a cougar. He did not ask you to evaluate and pass judgment on his desire to let the cat live on his own land. Pretty sure he is competent to make that decision for himself.

James.m - the University of Alberta has a Professor named Mark Boyce who has been studying cougars for a long time. He was doing a field study by Cadomin on Big Horn predation and some of his students were running studies in the Cypress Hills area. You may want to try contacting him to see if they have any interest in Cougar in your area.

Grizzly Adams
03-09-2021, 10:32 AM
No doubt research has a purpose, but it gets to a point where it is just plain redundant and mortality of all kinds is part of the picture. You're right they are his calves, but in the end, they pay the bills and compensation doesn't make up for that. In the case I mentioned, the farmer notified F&W and they sent the dog guy.

Grizz

roper1
03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
AO amazes me some days. The guy who posted has been around AO since 2012, he is a big enough rancher to be calving 200 animals, I think he probably has more experience with actual predation on livestock than 98% of the people replying on this thread. In fact I will go out on a limb and say there are probably at least a few responding that have never seen a cougar in the wild, let alone had one around their land and home a lot. On top of that they are HIS livestock.

All he asked is if anyone can give him a lead on someone who might be interested in tracking a cougar. He did not ask you to evaluate and pass judgment on his desire to let the cat live on his own land. Pretty sure he is competent to make that decision for himself.

James.m - the University of Alberta has a Professor named Mark Boyce who has been studying cougars for a long time. He was doing a field study by Cadomin on Big Horn predation and some of his students were running studies in the Cypress Hills area. You may want to try contacting him to see if they have any interest in Cougar in your area.

You couldn't have missed it any farther!!! Your vast knowledge of cougars and ranchers ordinarily would have you think this through. Not this time.

Cougars have a wide range, and this rancher has neighbor calves within a very short distance I'd guess. Now we have a cougar habituated to barns & cows, not a good scenario at all.

Cougar figures out how easy calves are, he will go next ranch over. My neighbors & myself deal with livestock harassers, 2-legged types, res dogs, coyote packs, etc. OP has reached out looking for a solution, he knows the deal. We're helping him confirm what he already knows, you're 3 degrees left of Rachel on this one.

ram crazy
03-09-2021, 07:06 PM

Cat relocation is what cause the problems at my brother in laws ranch. Why do you think they are doing studies at Cypress Hills?

MountainTi
03-09-2021, 07:14 PM

You couldn't have missed it any farther!!! Your vast knowledge of cougars and ranchers ordinarily would have you think this through. Not this time.

Cougars have a wide range, and this rancher has neighbor calves within a very short distance I'd guess. Now we have a cougar habituated to barns & cows, not a good scenario at all.

Cougar figures out how easy calves are, he will go next ranch over. My neighbors & myself deal with livestock harassers, 2-legged types, res dogs, coyote packs, etc. OP has reached out looking for a solution, he knows the deal. We're helping him confirm what he already knows, you're 3 degrees left of Rachel on this one.

You are correct Roper. That cat needs to be terminated. When predators kill livestock, the livestock owner is typically compensated for it. Who pays for that?

Last cat I killed (had to) started out with a stare down about 4 steps apart. Me at the top of the porch steps, the cat at the bottom. It had been around all summer killing and was getting braver. The cat died 5 minutes later

Fall before last a coworker had one of his kids ponies killed by a cat. Kids always around with their animals. Cat came back. It died.

Get rid of it. There is a reason the law was changed so you can kill cats on private land. Should go for all predators. Not just 4 legged :)

Battle Rat
03-09-2021, 08:30 PM
Cat relocation is what cause the problems at my brother in laws ranch. Why do you think they are doing studies at Cypress Hills?

Tell us more about this cat relocation.

trapperdodge
03-09-2021, 08:52 PM
Typically mountain lions don't kill cattle. Their 'normal' prey are deer, elk etc. That's not to say it doesn't happen but it's rare. Lions coexist with cattle all through the American west and into Canada along the eastern slopes.

That said, if you have one that is killing cattle there is only one option and it doesn't involve catch and release.

Grizzly Adams
03-09-2021, 10:09 PM
Typically mountain lions don't kill cattle. Their 'normal' prey are deer, elk etc. That's not to say it doesn't happen but it's rare. Lions coexist with cattle all through the American west and into Canada along the eastern slopes.

That said, if you have one that is killing cattle there is only one option and it doesn't involve catch and release.

What I learned at a work shop on the subject is that prey species is a learned trait and once a cat learns it, it will teach it to it's off spring. They apparently had one, west of Sundre, that specialized in feral horses.

Grizz

sage 13
03-10-2021, 08:10 AM
This thread sure shows peoples views on cougars and also how little people actually know about them.

calgarychef
03-10-2021, 08:46 AM
What I learned at a work shop on the subject is that prey species is a learned trait and once a cat learns it, it will teach it to it's off spring. They apparently had one, west of Sundre, that specialized in feral horses.

Grizz

We need a few more of those cats ;)

EZM
03-10-2021, 09:14 AM

Yup like others said .......... steady gig to pay the bills.

Why would scruffy the mountain man kill the cat when he can play with it and chase it off every second week, get some exercise for him and his dogs, and get paid to do it?

I'm pretty sure that cat has been treed a dozen times, and now when he approaches, instead of either jumping and bolting, or hissing and climbing around nervously, it just sits there, up in the tree yawning and licking it's paws sleepily as it knows it's not in any danger and will carry on with it's day after scruffy the mountain man and his hounds leave.

waldedw
03-10-2021, 10:00 AM
Yup like others said .......... steady gig to pay the bills.

Why would scruffy the mountain man kill the cat when he can play with it and chase it off every second week, get some exercise for him and his dogs, and get paid to do it?

I'm pretty sure that cat has been treed a dozen times, and now when he approaches, instead of either jumping and bolting, or hissing and climbing around nervously, it just sits there, up in the tree yawning and licking it's paws sleepily as it knows it's not in any danger and will carry on with it's day after scruffy the mountain man and his hounds leave.

Yup for sure, what happens on TV in no way is representative of what happens in the real world, made for TV and entertainment and not very good entertainment at that.

Dean2
03-10-2021, 11:39 AM

That is what the studies show too. Also, the Cat has been around the OPs ranch for a few years and there is no indication from the post that it has killed any of his cattle. Anyone actually interested in factual research might like to read this. Predation by Cougars does happen but it is not common. Wolves, Coyotes and even Ravens are a far bigger issue to most producers.

The link is to a PDF download of the study done in the Cypress hills. If you know Boyce he is not against controlling predators. This was done by a student as a Masters Thesis.

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/items/de846017-b24d-497c-a953-5d3f7158edd4/view/ef86c0d9-113d-4318-bb14-a3fbf9c26a29/Morrison_Carl_Fall-202013.pdf

Pioneer2
03-10-2021, 12:14 PM
Shoot the cougar ..........their numbers are up so you won't be hurting the population.

Ackleyman
03-10-2021, 12:52 PM
I would fire a few rapid warning shots. He comes back he is dead.

ram crazy
03-10-2021, 02:42 PM
This thread sure shows peoples views on cougars and also how little people actually know about them.

Come on Mike why don't you tell us how they behave then.

cowmanbob
03-10-2021, 04:09 PM
Seems like a couple of guys should pony up their cheque books to cover any losses by the OP.

Dean2
03-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Maybe some of you should pony up your reading skills and try to answer what the OP asked. If he had asked how to hunt the cougar I would have provided a different answer.

Cageyc
03-10-2021, 06:04 PM
Do you have young kids or grandkids? A cougar is a wild animal and will kill whatever it can to eat and grow. Though they are a good looking animal, they will eventually harm you.

Torkdiesel
03-11-2021, 07:41 AM
I missed this thread a few days ago unfortunately, my hound guide is out collaring cats right now.
If by some fluke you’re in the right area they might be able to run it. Won’t necessarily make it go away but it sure is a fun and cool information

sage 13
03-11-2021, 08:10 AM
Come on Mike why don't you tell us how they behave then.

Well im not from canmore.
But your post #11 about once they taste beef thats about all they want is a crock , #31 once they find a food source they stay till its all gone, another false
that there out there stalking to eat children etc well thats another wild one.
If any of what so many are saying on here was true there would be dead people all over, no live stock or ungulates left. Most of it is just what people dream up and as some one else said most have never even seen one or no any thing about them.
I dont get when some one mentions a cougar then its always storys on how its so dangerous and out to kill everyone and every thing. More kids are hurt at school, more people hurt by live stock or farm equipment, domestic dogs etc etc.
The OP asked about collaring if it happens and goes that route it is probable the best way to find out about that particular cat and its habits, other then just tracking which is hard with out snow.

I think someone asked you a question about a relocated cat you going to answer that.

Grizzly Adams
03-11-2021, 08:40 AM
But your post #11 about once they taste beef thats about all they want is a crock , #31 once they find a food source they stay till its all gone, another false
If any of what so many are saying on here was true there would be dead people all over, no live stock or ungulates left. Most of it is just what people dream up and as some one else said most have never even seen one or no any thing about them.
I dont get when some one mentions a cougar then its always storys on how its so dangerous and out to kill everyone and every thing. More kids are hurt at school, more people hurt by live stock or farm equipment, domestic dogs etc etc.
The OP asked about collaring if it happens and goes that route it is probable the best way to find out about that particular cat and its habits, other then just tracking which is hard with out snow.

I think someone asked you a question about a relocated cat you going to answer that.

All of the Above and None of the above. :D We have a healthy thriving cougar population, one removed from the gene pool isn't going to affect that, recognized by the authorities in allowing land owners to shoot them on sight. He could have called F&W, they would have said shoot the cat, if you ever see it again, not likely, cats are notoriously secretive. Collar it ? by the time that worked it'd way through the beaurocracy there might be a bunch of dead calves, or the cat died somewhere else. The original poster asked a question and opened a debate, people have a problem with that ? :confused:

Grizz

Pioneer2
03-11-2021, 09:25 AM
through the head.

Big Grey Wolf
03-11-2021, 10:21 AM
Cowman, we hunters are the ones that already pony up with our check books. Klien changed rules few years back that hunting licenses now pay for stock killed by wildlife.

oilngas
03-11-2021, 11:03 AM
Dean; thanks for the link, interesting PHD Thesis, c/w actual data! Imaging that eh!

MountainTi
03-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Cowman, we hunters are the ones that already pony up with our check books. Klien changed rules few years back that hunting licenses now pay for stock killed by wildlife.

I'm guessing cowman already knows that...

ram crazy
03-11-2021, 02:41 PM

Read Post 37 and you from Lethbridge

cowmanbob
03-11-2021, 06:30 PM

Yes I’m aware. Having been the recipient of many loss payments.

sage 13
03-12-2021, 06:18 AM
Read Post 37 and you from Lethbridge

Sorry no not from lethbridge.

Post 37 explains nothing thats why the question was asked for some more details on it. like where was cat relocated from, what had it done previous
to cause relocation, was it relocated on to your brothers property, what did it
do at your brothers property, etc etc.

ram crazy
03-12-2021, 10:55 AM
Sorry no not from lethbridge.

Post 37 explains nothing thats why the question was asked for some more details on it. like where was cat relocated from, what had it done previous
to cause relocation, was it relocated on to your brothers property, what did it
do at your brothers property, etc etc.

Read the attachment on post 46 some where in there it talks about relocation of cats.

Nikanit
03-12-2021, 11:03 AM
title made me think this was a barrel racer thread.

ahahahah!!!

walking buffalo
03-12-2021, 05:55 PM
Read the attachment on post 46 some where in there it talks about relocation of cats.

You sure about that?

Remember what they say about digging yourself into a hole....

sage 13
03-12-2021, 08:12 PM

So took a look at the link, will admit quit quickly didnt notice any thing about relocation of cats or of killing of live stock.
Only thing could find was on page 97 said failed to document any evidence of livestock depredation.
So still wondering about your story of a relocated cat causing problems on your brothers ranch (i think thats what you said)

ram crazy
03-13-2021, 07:25 AM
Not much to tell, had 6 dead cows from cougars got compensation for them. Fish & wildlife said a few cats were moved from Cypress, cats were dealt with. There was not a deer to be seen in a coulee they all moved out into the wide open prairie. Once while chopping water holes a cat came to see what was going on, he sat down behind the truck to watch. After that a rifle was carried and problem eventually went away!

Grizzly Adams
03-13-2021, 08:31 AM
Bear relocations don't work out most of the time, for a variety of reasons. I can't see cougars being much different. :confused: One thing to remember about researchers is, often they have an agenda and are willfully blind.

Grizz

sage 13
03-13-2021, 03:43 PM
Not much to tell, had 6 dead cows from cougars got compensation for them. Fish & wildlife said a few cats were moved from Cypress, cats were dealt with. There was not a deer to be seen in a coulee they all moved out into the wide open prairie. Once while chopping water holes a cat came to see what was going on, he sat down behind the truck to watch. After that a rifle was carried and problem eventually went away!

So not much of a story so no real problem i guess. Funny the difference from what you say and the study vs livestock. One thing that some may seem of concern is the possibility of poaching or illegal activity. Seems like the study had a cat or 2 disappear and a few different people on here mention SSS
these could be the same people that trespass, shoot on private property, kill something after season etc etc. Wouldnt think poachers would be species specific but you never no.

sage 13
03-13-2021, 03:44 PM
Bear relocations don't work out most of the time, for a variety of reasons. I can't see cougars being much different. :confused: One thing to remember about researchers is, often they have an agenda and are willfully blind.

Grizz

Could say the same about some ranchers and hunters.

cody j
03-13-2021, 03:55 PM
So not much of a story so no real problem i guess. Funny the difference from what you say and the study vs livestock. One thing that some may seem of concern is the possibility of poaching or illegal activity. Seems like the study had a cat or 2 disappear and a few different people on here mention SSS
these could be the same people that trespass, shoot on private property, kill something after season etc etc. Wouldnt think poachers would be species specific but you never no.

Cougars can be shot on private land, not sure what you are trying to say.

sage 13
03-13-2021, 04:09 PM
Cougars can be shot on private land, not sure what you are trying to say.

Post 15,24,25 for starters. The study also shows finding just the collar at one
location plus another went off radar which could of just been a electronic malfunction.

ram crazy
03-13-2021, 04:54 PM

You still with ACA? How do you come up with no big problem

sage 13
03-13-2021, 07:44 PM
You still with ACA? How do you come up with no big problem

No never been with ACA, doesnt seen like a problem would need more info to decide that but seems like you dont want to say much and when you do
doesnt really add up.
So was this just one incident and over how many days, were all calves killed at once , single cat or family etc etc lots of variables.

Madocmike
03-14-2021, 12:32 PM
I am thinking that everyone is giving good advice. Cougar / bear etc... are apex predators and need managed. If either are a threat you, your family or livestock, well eliminate that threat. If you are not able to do that, then advertise on here looking for someone and I'm sure you won't have any issues with volunteers. Only suggestion I'd have , is to ask what experience they actually have with hunting cougar.

Just my two cents,
Michael

roper1
03-15-2021, 10:45 PM
No never been with ACA, doesnt seen like a problem would need more info to decide that but seems like you dont want to say much and when you do
doesnt really add up.
So was this just one incident and over how many days, were all calves killed at once , single cat or family etc etc lots of variables.

You're grasping. You see the news in the last couple days two cougar attacks on dogs ? While on a leash? That's pretty close to a human, and there was a lady in Cranbrook killed by a cat a few years ago while she sent her 4 kids to safety!

To the OP, shoot it & save your dog or your kids or grandkids.

ram crazy
03-16-2021, 06:18 AM
doesnt really add up.

What part of cows did you not understand, multiple days during the winter, 1 cat was exterminated. Guess what? after that no more cows died. Fish and wildlife said that they moved quite a few cats out of the Cypress. It’s funny how you bios deny moving cats and fish and wildlife say that cats were moved, who does one believe?

sage 13
03-16-2021, 08:39 AM
You're grasping. You see the news in the last couple days two cougar attacks on dogs ? While on a leash? That's pretty close to a human, and there was a lady in Cranbrook killed by a cat a few years ago while she sent her 4 kids to safety!

To the OP, shoot it & save your dog or your kids or grandkids.

Im guessing your talking about the dogs killed near Anmore, yes close to a human but didnt go after the human.
A lady killed in Cranbrook, im guessing your talking Cranbrook B.C. never heard that one you would think that would make the news, you sure about that do you have a link.

sage 13
03-16-2021, 08:52 AM
What part of cows did you not understand, multiple days during the winter, 1 cat was exterminated. Guess what? after that no more cows died. Fish and wildlife said that they moved quite a few cats out of the Cypress. It’s funny how you bios deny moving cats and fish and wildlife say that cats were moved, who does one believe?

So the cat that came to see what was going on well chopping holes was the same cat that killed the cows or a different one.
So what was done with the cows after they were killed were they left for the cat to feed on or removed from area, or maybe moved to a area away from the herd so the cat could feed on them or maybe butchered by the owner.

Ya hard to figure out who to believe , and again sorry im not a bio but since you say quit a few were moved and only one was killed and then no more cows died i guess cats arent that big of a problem. If the cat killed was a relocated cat you would think it would have a collar, ear tag or tattoo did it have any of those.

Grizzly Adams
03-16-2021, 04:50 PM
Im guessing your talking about the dogs killed near Anmore, yes close to a human but didnt go after the human.
A lady killed in Cranbrook, im guessing your talking Cranbrook B.C. never heard that one you would think that would make the news, you sure about that do you have a link.

Lady on Vancouver island was killed by a cat after she sent her kids on their way , can't find a link to that one, but another near Lake Minnewanka.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cougar-kills-woman-in-banff-park-1.287208

Grizz

roper1
03-16-2021, 10:10 PM

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here. I'm guessing you're not questioning my sanity or my honesty!

There was another cougar on leashed dog attack K country last day or two. When you're in too deep, quit digging.

sage 13
03-23-2021, 09:07 AM
Lady on Vancouver island was killed by a cat after she sent her kids on their way , can't find a link to that one, but another near Lake Minnewanka.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cougar-kills-woman-in-banff-park-1.287208

Grizz

Yes the one that killed the lady cross country skiing was quit weird. I knew people in canmore at the time of this.
As for the one mentioned about cranbrook cant find anything, haver family living in that area that have never heard of it, checked the list of fatal cougar attacks for north america it doesnt show it so think it is probable false.
If you find anything on it let me know.
thanks.

Big Grey Wolf
03-23-2021, 10:05 AM
Experienced cat hunter in Bella Coola was asked to deal with a cougar around town. When he was checking the tracks the cougar attacked him, he lived , did not have his dogs with him.