PDA

View Full Version : JB Weld / Muffler

dodger
03-09-2021, 07:06 AM
Hi Everyone.
I have a forklift with a crack on the edge seam of the muffler. I was quoted $7000.00 for the replacement muffler. My thoughts were to use some JB on the seam but I have never used the stuff. Thoughts??

Dodger.

204ruger
03-09-2021, 07:17 AM
Is it cracked because it’s rusty? What about actually welding rather than jb weld?
Jb weld if mixed right is good stuff but on a muffle I’m not too sure for the fact that, that’s a thin metal and it expands and contracts rapidly and jb weld doesn’t do well with that. Maybe muffler/exhaust tape is a cheap option if that’s what your looking for. I work on lift trucks everyday and for most have figured out a way to use tractor bottles as muffler when new one is needed a much much cheaper option at about 60$- 100$ for the bottle and few clamps depending on size and fitment

dodger
03-09-2021, 08:06 AM
Is it cracked because it’s rusty? What about actually welding rather than jb weld?
Jb weld if mixed right is good stuff but on a muffle I’m not too sure for the fact that, that’s a thin metal and it expands and contracts rapidly and jb weld doesn’t do well with that. Maybe muffler/exhaust tape is a cheap option if that’s what your looking for. I work on lift trucks everyday and for most have figured out a way to use tractor bottles as muffler when new one is needed a much much cheaper option at about 60$- 100$ for the bottle and few clamps depending on size and fitment

Thanks for this info. Its not from rust just a lot of vibration by the mounting bracket. Going to look up muffler tape as I have never heard of this.

Thanks!
Dodger.

ghostguy6
03-09-2021, 08:15 AM
JB weld does not do well with thin metal that expands and contracts a lot. Welding would be the best option if the metal is still in decent condition. You could also braze it. Soldering likely wont hold due to the relatively low melting point. If the seam is rusted way then you might need to weld on a patch to cover it.

If you can post a picture that might give us a better idea of what can be done.

tri777
03-09-2021, 09:09 AM
I have never once had any luck with JB weld on a muffler, always held for a few days then vibrated off.
As ghost said, a pic.

sako1
03-09-2021, 09:13 AM
$7000 for a muffler?

jungleboy
03-09-2021, 09:17 AM
$7000 for a muffler?

X2 that must be some muffler!

tri777
03-09-2021, 09:19 AM
$7000 for a muffler?

I have seen some in the $2000 range, maybe he meant $700 with parts/labour?

I would make one of these fit,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=FORKLIFT+MUFFLER&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Stinky Buffalo
03-09-2021, 09:39 AM
Thanks for this info. Its not from rust just a lot of vibration by the mounting bracket. Going to look up muffler tape as I have never heard of this.

Thanks!
Dodger.

We've used the tape with success in the past. It may work well in your case since the damage is not due to rust.

JDK71
03-09-2021, 09:40 AM
my side steer was doing the same and i removed the muffler and mig welded a 4x8x1/8 patch on it 4 years ago still holding preheat and post heat is the key to the repair

ghostguy6
03-09-2021, 09:54 AM
$7000 for a muffler?

Depends on the make and model of the forklift. Some of then require hours of labor just to change the plugs. If you need to remove the weight on a counterbalance model that gets expensive in a hurry. Could also need to have the motor lifted out of place to get to the muffler. That could mean hours of work. Then you have to remember forklift mechanics charge more than automotive mechanics.:sign0176:

Grizzly Adams
03-09-2021, 10:25 AM
Depends on the make and model of the forklift. Some of then require hours of labor just to change the plugs. If you need to remove the weight on a counterbalance model that gets expensive in a hurry. Could also need to have the motor lifted out of place to get to the muffler. That could mean hours of work. Then you have to remember forklift mechanics charge more than automotive mechanics.:sign0176:

Whoever designs this kind of stuff should be slow roasted over a charcoal fire. :lol:

Grizz

sako1
03-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Anything is possible. But a good muffler shop could jig something up for well under a 1000 bucks. That leaves 40 hours of labor at $150 an hour......something seems off

Trochu
03-09-2021, 11:12 AM
You should definitely take it to a custom shop and get a Flowmaster put on! :)

ghostguy6
03-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Anything is possible. But a good muffler shop could jig something up for well under a 1000 bucks. That leaves 40 hours of labor at $150 an hour......something seems off

But you have to take in to account that you can just drive a forklift onto a lift and hoist it up either. Special tools could be needed. There could be lots of variables at play here we are unaware of. Of course this is speculation because I cant see the job and Im not a certified forklift mechanic. It could be as simple as disconnecting the battery and running a bead with a mig welder. I would definitely the getting a second quote at that price.

Whoever designs this kind of stuff should be slow roasted over a charcoal fire.

Grizz

As far as Im concerned anyone that designs automobiles made after 95 should be roasted on a spit and anyone that designs imports. Remember the days when you could fix a vehicle with a standard tool box? Now you need vehicle specific tools and a sccanner to reset engine. And now you need to hire mechanics with tiny little girl hands just to turn the wrench because there is no room anymore.:angry3:

badbrass
03-09-2021, 12:23 PM
This might work better!!! Can be re drilled, works great!
Better than JB by a long shot!
https://i.imgur.com/3Yqram9.jpg

dodger
03-09-2021, 12:28 PM
$7000 for a muffler?

Found out it’s a cat/muffler in one unit.

Dodger.

dodger
03-09-2021, 12:31 PM
Still trying to post a pic. Also, counter weight has to come off to get at it.

Dodger.

57charlie
03-09-2021, 07:59 PM
Holy cow, for $7000 I'm pretty sure you could find any one of a dozen different mufflers that could replace it. A good muffler shop should be able to give you some guidance or suggestions. It doesn't take a genius to bend some tube to fit an aftermarket muffler onto any engine.

RandyBoBandy
03-09-2021, 08:05 PM

Dodger.

Does your forklift lift have OBD11 software on it ?? IE: check engine light?? If not, just get a muffler shop to chop off the muffler, take the measurements and rig up a muffler. Even if your forklift has and CEL, you'll know it's on because you skipped the "cat". Just my thoughts :)

RandyBoBandy
03-09-2021, 08:05 PM
Holy cow, for $7000 I'm pretty sure you could find any one of a dozen different mufflers that could replace it. A good muffler shop should be able to give you some guidance or suggestions. It doesn't take a genius to bend some tube to fit an aftermarket muffler onto any engine.

:happy0034:

huntwat
03-09-2021, 08:13 PM

Dodger.

Good time to get rid of the cat.

dodger
03-10-2021, 04:15 AM
Does your forklift lift have OBD11 software on it ?? IE: check engine light?? If not, just get a muffler shop to chop off the muffler, take the measurements and rig up a muffler. Even if your forklift has and CEL, you'll know it's on because you skipped the "cat". Just my thoughts :)

Yep. All the sensors like a car. Removing counter weight to replace is also a challenge.

Dodger.

HyperMOA
03-10-2021, 07:37 AM
Is it a diesel forklift? I hate to say it but the DPF and SCR built into one muffler is quite expensive if that is the case. Getting it TIG welded may be your only chance. But likely a new crack develops.

pgavey
03-10-2021, 07:38 AM
Just park at wall mart over night, if its a cat someone will remove it for you free. Lol

Lefty
03-10-2021, 08:57 PM
I would try Techsteel as I have used it on mufflers and a bunch of other things and really been impressed with it. Same kind of product as the Metal Magic but I have never used or hear of Metal Magic before. Tried the JB Weld version as I couldn't get Techsteel when I needed it and it was terrible. Bought Techsteel the next day and it did the trick.