PDA

View Full Version : Winfred Lake

Mackay2144
03-09-2021, 09:34 AM
Hey Outdoorsmen, looking to book a fishing trip for my dads 60th birthday, I was at Winifred lake about 5 years ago and this fishing was awesome. Haven't been back since due to being busy!

Does anyone know if they plan to open the limits back up on this lake? i see you can keep a walleye but still no Jack fish. I want to book this trip before to long so the dates dont get taken by someone else, but would also like to know if i will be able to keep a jack out of the lake when we go.

Thanks for any insight on this!

HuyFishin
03-09-2021, 09:40 AM
I'm actually curious if this lake was still good. I thought its gone down hill with the average pike size.

mulio
03-09-2021, 10:17 AM
Winefred still has big pike and the fishing there is awesome. I've never had a bad trip there.

Goodlife
03-10-2021, 08:26 PM
Please read the posts from last year. I have been going to Winefred every year for the last 30 years - staying at the Winefred lake lodge. The new owner is a real piece of work and so is the road in. There are pictures of the road posted. Be careful when booking.

Having said all that, Winefred fishing is awesome. Lots of large pike and great walleye fishing.

Try booking at Winefred lake outfitters rather than Winefred Lake lodge.

Just my 2 cents worth

laker taker2
06-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Anyone been there yet this year? This early heat should have been good for the shallow bite!

liketoshoot
06-05-2021, 06:42 AM
Buddy was up there last week and did fantastic, sent some nice pics

Quigley2000
06-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Had called WLO a while back and Paul was booked up until September if you were going on a weekend (unsure about middle of the work week, or if anyone has canceled since). WLL should have some availability though. For the roads you’ll definitely want a truck though for clearance purposes, but you still will bottom out once or twice. An suv is possible, but you’ll be bottomed out a good chunk of the time, with a high chance of repairs needed, and decent odds of getting stuck. Yes, this is from experience. Basically the last bit of road is through the forest, so not much sun to dry it, is hardly ever grated and when it is it isn’t very effective, and often times the “road” is significantly lower than the surrounding land so it funnels the water. Half the time the road is double wide, but half is impassable. Might be better off island camping out of WLO, as I’ve heard there’s a nice road to it. The fishing is good. Pike slot size 25-30”, walleyes 22-23” (bycatch on big spoons so wouldn’t catch smalleyes). If you go, try white cliffs and just off the point on the south shore to the east of the lodge with a picnic table (I call it picnic point).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mumbles
06-06-2021, 01:03 PM
Had called WLO a while back and Paul was booked up until September if you were going on a weekend (unsure about middle of the work week, or if anyone has canceled since). WLL should have some availability though. For the roads you’ll definitely want a truck though for clearance purposes, but you still will bottom out once or twice. An suv is possible, but you’ll be bottomed out a good chunk of the time, with a high chance of repairs needed, and decent odds of getting stuck. Yes, this is from experience. Basically the last bit of road is through the forest, so not much sun to dry it, is hardly ever grated and when it is it isn’t very effective, and often times the “road” is significantly lower than the surrounding land so it funnels the water. Half the time the road is double wide, but half is impassable. Might be better off island camping out of WLO, as I’ve heard there’s a nice road to it. The fishing is good. Pike slot size 25-30”, walleyes 22-23” (bycatch on big spoons so wouldn’t catch smalleyes). If you go, try white cliffs and just off the point on the south shore to the east of the lodge with a picnic table (I call it picnic point).

So are you just making up the “slot” you’d like to see??
You clearly haven’t looked at the regulations in some time as until recently it was 1 pike over 100cm & 0 walleye...& it’s now 0 pike & 1 walleye 45-50cm

dustinjoels
06-06-2021, 07:38 PM
Just got back. Fishing was good. Paul’s is booked up until September as mentioned above.

FYI you probably won’t catch a walleye in the 45-50 cm slot size. We never did and neither did anyone I talked to. One large group was very disappointed and had to drive back to Lac la biche to buy more food.

If you want a fish fry, go somewhere else. If you want 4-6 pound walleye and a chance at some 15-20lb pike than go to Winefred.

Quigley2000
06-06-2021, 08:28 PM
So are you just making up the “slot” you’d like to see??
You clearly haven’t looked at the regulations in some time as until recently it was 1 pike over 100cm & 0 walleye...& it’s now 0 pike & 1 walleye 45-50cm

I don’t mean slot size that you keep, but the slot size you’ll actually catch. Personally I’d prefer to keep the pike and walleyes all catch and release. If they decide you must be able to keep keep fish then I’d want it to be fish too small to be worthwhile cleaning.

laker taker2
06-21-2021, 08:28 PM
Just back from Winefred. Fishing was ok. Not as many big pike this trip, still a few over 40”.
Walleye bite is really good. Very very hard to get one to eat, they are all much too big. The 45/50cm range seems to be MIA.
I’ve only ever fished it in June, some year I want to try get there in Late July or August to mix it up and maybe for once get some hot stable weather.

dustinjoels
06-22-2021, 02:03 AM
Lots of 50-55 cm walleye caught every year. Therefore there must be 45-50cm walleye somewhere. Beats me on how to catch them though. I was there for 5 days and we never caught one

guru fisher
06-22-2021, 08:19 AM
If you want some nice fish to eat then hit Kirby Lake. Its close by as long as the trail is alright getting in. Not big pike but some quality ones 6 to 7 lbs. It was you can keep 3 but check your regs.

guru fisher
06-22-2021, 08:24 AM
Any recent reports on the lodge road going in ?

Quigley2000
06-22-2021, 09:30 AM
Any recent reports on the lodge road going in ?

Was there two weeks ago. Had been raining for 3-4 days prior so it was a total swamp. Also some guys were hauling trailers to Grist lake that morning so the road was especially chewed up. Was sliding all over the place and got stuck in the truck, but Jon pulled me out. Think the warmer weather should improve it a fair bit so the road could be completely different. Seems that road varies a lot depending on the weather.

guru fisher
06-22-2021, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the report. Ya it does change fast. Last august it was wet goin in and dry coming out. Warm weather coming here and hot will harden it up nicely