PDA

View Full Version : My Cold Lake Fishing Video!

HuyFishin
03-09-2021, 10:08 AM
I slept on the ice overnight and of course next morning I accidentally slept in missing the morning bite. I looked out my window and people were already on the ice fishing. I didn't hear anyone. Guess I am a super deep sleeper. I bought a brand new carbon monoxide detector just to make sure I wouldn't go into a very deep sleep.

My primary lure choice was the rapala jigging rap largest size and a TC moto Chartreuse Tube Jig. (not sure what the name is since I bought it many years ago)

I also don't have a flasher cam for you guys to see the fish chasing. Sorry I know that is a part of the fun. But I dont have proper mounts to make sure my camera doesn't fall in the hole in case a fish flops and knocks it. My wife would kill me if I lost another camera. Sorry the video is a little longer but a fight with a lake trout at 150 feet deep takes some time.

If you enjoy the video and content please consider subscribing. THANK YOU

https://youtu.be/AAjTwWcTtTg

https://i.ibb.co/ctWgWzz/C-DCIM-101-GOPRO-GOPR0133-GPR.jpg (https://ibb.co/2PznzXX)

58thecat
03-09-2021, 10:26 AM
Very well done again...ya gotto luv the weather we had too!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Elchinodiablo
03-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Woohooo!!!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Talking moose
03-09-2021, 11:57 AM
Nice! You did well! (Compared to me....:sHa_sarcasticlol:)

HuyFishin
03-09-2021, 01:44 PM
Thank you!

I really had to move around just to find product spots. I was given GPS cordinates and locations that "have fish" but when I tried nothing would show up. No bait fish and no lakers for 30 minutes. Felt like I was fishing a barelake.

I moved far away from tent cities as much as possible. Punching holes and dropping a line. If I found any chasers I planted myself for a bit. ect.

Its crazy how busy the lake was. I didn't expect it. Hoards of tents and people would follow each other to set up tents near the other anglers. boxing each other in. I feel bad for everyone in the center. They could atleast set up in a line. Going further from everyone was definitely the right call.

I want to set up 10 empty tents in the worst possible spot on a lake. You guys think someone would drill right next to the fake tent city?

Talking moose
03-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Thank you!

I really had to move around just to find product spots. I was given GPS cordinates and locations that "have fish" but when I tried nothing would show up. No bait fish and no lakers for 30 minutes. Felt like I was fishing a barelake.

I moved far away from tent cities as much as possible. Punching holes and dropping a line. If I found any chasers I planted myself for a bit. ect.

Its crazy how busy the lake was. I didn't expect it. Hoards of tents and people would follow each other to set up tents near the other anglers. boxing each other in. I feel bad for everyone in the center. They could atleast set up in a line. Going further from everyone was definitely the right call.

I want to set up 10 empty tents in the worst possible spot on a lake. You guys think someone would drill right next to the fake tent city?

Ha!
I know the feeling.
I’m guilty of fishing close to others right at the start of the season on new lakes. Basically because I know it’s safe if others are in the area. Not a fan of exploring at first ice. But in March? I’d be as far away as possible!

58thecat
03-09-2021, 04:33 PM
yup....I am finding now that I think about it and what we were using on the bottom...4'' herring and a good hunk of sucker belly hooked together on tandem trebles in relatively deep water 160-200' off a shelve just on the bottom or slightly off bottom...yes we caught on top and mid shelve but the bigger ones just seemed lazy and contempt to pick them up....ohhhh and not near the tents....the spoons picked off the chasers just banging the bottom then changing the speed reeling up, many came out of no where and would pick us off....if you look on the maps there are many areas that have fast drops to deeper water that is were I am finding them now...who knows what they want tomorrow though or where but if I hit bait I hang out.

lromanchuk
03-10-2021, 07:58 AM
Nice video . Well done

Did you bait your jigging rap at all or just as is?

HuyFishin
03-10-2021, 09:05 AM
Nice video . Well done

Did you bait your jigging rap at all or just as is?

I didn't bait the jigging rap at all. Just herring on the tube jig.

338Bluff
03-10-2021, 10:43 AM
yup....I am finding now that I think about it and what we were using on the bottom...4'' herring and a good hunk of sucker belly hooked together on tandem trebles in relatively deep water 160-200' off a shelve just on the bottom or slightly off bottom...yes we caught on top and mid shelve but the bigger ones just seemed lazy and contempt to pick them up....ohhhh and not near the tents....the spoons picked off the chasers just banging the bottom then changing the speed reeling up, many came out of no where and would pick us off....if you look on the maps there are many areas that have fast drops to deeper water that is were I am finding them now...who knows what they want tomorrow though or where but if I hit bait I hang out.

Where are you buying your suckers from?

58thecat
03-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Where are you buying your suckers from?

Kim Grey.....a few weeks ago he was very well stocked. Anglers Bait Tackle and more.
(780) 660-9336

HuyFishin
03-10-2021, 11:36 AM
Kim Grey.....a few weeks ago he was very well stocked. Anglers Bait Tackle and more.
(780) 660-9336

If I had known about this I would have picked some up :(