PDA

View Full Version : Hot water tank.

KGB
03-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, I have a dilemma! The hot water tank is acting up, in a sense that I constantly have to increase the hot water flow during the shower or it’s getting cold. As far as I know, that usually happens when the deep tube( I think that’s what it called) is disintegrated. To replace this tube thing, I will need to call a plumber since I’m useless in this field....
The question is: should I replace the deep tube or should I replace the hot water tank? The current tank is about 8 years old. How much life left in it?

cocktail
03-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Well....... if your unable to replace the dip tube yourself, I'm thinking till you pay the plumber a service call, an hours labor or so plus maybe a $20-30 dollar tube, your probably chasing the $150.00 mark. tanks last generally 10-15 years depending on water, it's a gamble, I would take that gamble and change tube.

i

Trochu
03-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Changing the dip tube isn't particularly difficult, if so inclined, I suspect you could chat with a relative/friend to help you out and you'd be confident enough to do it after watching the odd video.

I had the same issue a few years ago, it was starting to build up and my hot water flow was down to a trickle. Depending on a few factors, the calcium buildup may have worked it's way up the return pipe a bit, so don't forget to clean out the pipe while you've got it opened up.

As they are quite cheap, I'd start with just replacing the dip tube.

Sooner
03-09-2021, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, I have a dilemma! The hot water tank is acting up, in a sense that I constantly have to increase the hot water flow during the shower or it’s getting cold. As far as I know, that usually happens when the deep tube( I think that’s what it called) is disintegrated. To replace this tube thing, I will need to call a plumber since I’m useless in this field....
The question is: should I replace the deep tube or should I replace the hot water tank? The current tank is about 8 years old. How much life left in it?

I replaced my dip tube once. Then when it did the same thing a couple years later, replaced the whole unit. By then the bottom starts piling up with sludge is what I was told. The more sludge, the less room for hot water.

I didn't want to chance the tank letting go. My neighbor's did, thank god he was home and heard the water leaking out. Was still a mess but he saved his basement. He was lucky.

CaberTosser
03-10-2021, 07:20 AM
At 8 years old, replace the tube. If it’s getting into the 12+ year range then it might be better to change the tank.

If the old dip tube has broken off inside the tank then there is the concern that bits of plastic may break off and restrict water flow anywhere in the water lines, or cause faucets to leak by gumming up the mechanics. I’ve had many service calls where the call was to repair leaking faucets and I found dip tube pieces in the cartridge or faucet seat, etc. I’ve even found smaller bits plugging the aerators. If the old tube comes out, that’s great, but if it didn’t you’ll either want to replace the tank or at least install a strainer fitting on the hot outlet pipe. Strainers are normally used to protect circulators from damage due to system debris, but could be enlisted for this application, they have a stainless steel filter inside and can be removed and cleaned if they get plugged.

KGB
03-10-2021, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys, thanks to everyone who replied. Will go with the dip tube replacement. Caber, thank you for the tip about the filter, will look into getting one too.

HyperMOA
03-10-2021, 02:39 PM
While you have it apart change the anode too.

cocktail
03-10-2021, 05:49 PM
While you have it apart change the anode too.

Good idea on anode!! Thinking that if I could change them out, any handy man could also. (sorry caber)

Spidey
03-10-2021, 06:45 PM
Have you flushed out the sludge from the bottom of the tank? A build up can also cause slow heating. Easy to do with a garden hose and access to a floor drain. This should be done once every couple years to prevent corrosion on the bottom of the tank.

Bigrib
03-10-2021, 11:41 PM
If you have house insurance , some companies want you to replace the tank every 10 years . A relative just replaced one that was going 21 years old that had stopped working , turned out it was the breaker , DOH !

But yeah flush the tank and make sure you flip the breaker on it because you don't want the elements coming on when there is no or low water in tank , they will burn out quick unless it is full of water.

KGB
03-13-2021, 05:45 PM
So here is what I was able to accomplish :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Disconnected the cold water supply line and turned the heat down to the minimum position. Drained the tank and flushed it. Did not see any debris coming out from the garden hose I was using. Got the new dip tube from Home Depot, $12.99
Tried to remove the old tube- not a bloody chance it was coming out! Called a friend who came in with a pipe wrench and had to remove the whole screw in assembly.... Went to Rona this time to get the proper dip tube that comes assembled with the threaded thingy at one end. The old dip tube is completely fell off and can not be removed from the hot water tank, it is still inside... We replaced the dip tube assembly with the new one, no leaks, fired up the tank and it is working fine.
The only thing that worries me now is the old dip tube that is inside the water tank...

TBark
03-13-2021, 06:32 PM
I had a tank that lasted 22 years,
There might have been 2 old dip tubes inside it IIRC, ha.
I wouldn’t worry about it.

TBark

Sitkaspruce
03-13-2021, 07:45 PM
Call your insurance provider to check how long they will insure your tank. My last one was 17 years we had to replace it as they will not insure it after 10 years. If your tank is 8 years old, spending money for a couple more years to me isn't worth it.

Something worth checking out.

Cheers

SS

gulfman
03-14-2021, 10:37 AM
So here is what I was able to accomplish :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Disconnected the cold water supply line and turned the heat down to the minimum position. Drained the tank and flushed it. Did not see any debris coming out from the garden hose I was using. Got the new dip tube from Home Depot, $12.99
Tried to remove the old tube- not a bloody chance it was coming out! Called a friend who came in with a pipe wrench and had to remove the whole screw in assembly.... Went to Rona this time to get the proper dip tube that comes assembled with the threaded thingy at one end. The old dip tube is completely fell off and can not be removed from the hot water tank, it is still inside... We replaced the dip tube assembly with the new one, no leaks, fired up the tank and it is working fine.
The only thing that worries me now is the old dip tube that is inside the water tank...
:happy0180:

CaberTosser
03-14-2021, 10:49 AM
I’ll frequently get tanks where the dip tube wants to collapse and oval out from force applied to the pipe wrench rather than to unscrew, in this instance I’ll put something steel inside the pipe nipple to prevent this collapse. I’ll often use a copper pipe flaring swage or a tapered wrench handle (like a steelworkers alignment pin), this puts all your torque into unscrewing it rather than simply crushing it and making it impossible re-attach it to your water line.

stubblejumper01
03-14-2021, 11:19 AM
I’ll frequently get tanks where the dip tube wants to collapse and oval out from force applied to the pipe wrench rather than to unscrew, in this instance I’ll put something steel inside the pipe nipple to prevent this collapse. I’ll often use a copper pipe flaring swage or a tapered wrench handle (like a steelworkers alignment pin), this puts all your torque into unscrewing it rather than simply crushing it and making it impossible re-attach it to your water line.

That’s a great tip. Wouldn’t have thought of that. I get lots of good information from this site